ad: CQMM-1

USDX USDR+ 8 Band HF SDR Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Dec 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0DQW

M0DQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful what version you buy, or you could end up with something like this!

N0ZNA, NM9X, VE4SW and 8 others like this.
  2. WA8MEA

WA8MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe someone, somewhere is mixing up the various uSDX/USDR model radios and combining them all as one model. If you Google uSDX, there are some excellent reviews of that radio - which looks nothing like this model. That radio has a tuning knob in the front and a SO-239 rather than a BNC; which this radio has

And always remember, for roughly $175 USD, you are NOT going to get a Yaesu 991A when you buy one of these.

VO1JA, KC1HUR, DL6BCX and 3 others like this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good post Bill!

KO4CES likes this.
  4. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting, you seem saved me from buying this trash.

W8ZFM and KO4CES like this.
  5. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry that you were ripped off. The number of un-Godly people on the planet seems to grow exponentially.

TA2BU, GMARC, N4FZ and 7 others like this.
  6. VR2XLQ

VR2XLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can easily find these clones in Taobao / Alibaba website. Nowaday many CN hams make / clone products and sell them internationaly, before these are only sold locally. Their concept of IP are very weak, and wonder minor product adjustment can save them from infringement, and particularly on those open source projects like VNA. So, buyer shall be intelligent enough to pick the right piece of product to meet their need, and promote IP right.

KO4CES likes this.
  7. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad this video was posted, this "clone" has really taken off the last few months on all the typical sites t hat have a lot of Chinese stuff. Hopefully the TechMinds one is a bad one off situation. I've yet to hear one on the air, the more simple looking version that doesn't have a built in battery and in a smaller housing seems to run around 129 US dollars. however, if any or all of them have a TX like the one in the video that may as well be a receiver only.

KO4CES likes this.
  8. N8LRH

N8LRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, gee whiz. I the review above doesn't seem to cover any of this cheap little SDR's menu configuration settings or indicate any attempt to properly adjust same for optimum results. I purchased one of these little guys on a lark, in fact it is the same exact one as shown in the review above (Software Version R1.02W), except mine has a properly sized smaller tuning knob. I have been a long-time home brew QRP fan for many years now going back to the early 80's but never dabbled with any SDR radios. It took some digging, but I found some rudimentary operating instructions for getting into the menu settings and making adjustments to set them up for the results I was satisfied with. After making sure I was not overdriving the audio and TX Drive parameters (TX set to 4 worked best for me with a PA bias to about 180). From my home QTH in central Ohio, I fired this little puppy up and right out of the chute on 20 meters I responded to a SSB POTA CQ from Scott about 20 miles south of Omaha running (POTA #K8283). I received a 5 and 5 signal report back from him in a nice QSO. I was running on the internal battery and pumping a whopping 4 watts to my 6BTV vertical out back. I was really thrilled I could make this little cheap guy sound good, hear at least decently, and actually work. While the receive side is unquestionably noisy, you can reduce the noise with the menu NR adjustments. On the lower bands like 80 and 40 meters, you can kick the ATT function on and set it up to about 13db to quiet things down to at least a reasonable level. But hey, what do you expect for something this inexpensive. Anyhow, this was my experience with the little rig, I happen to like it and I am going to keep it and may use it this next field day. Take this review for what it's worth, or not. Your call.

Best of 73's to all.
    Bill N8LRH

GMARC, N4FZ, N3HOE and 5 others like this.
  9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Some kits are lightyears ahead in the opposite to this what was shown in the video.

KK1LL likes this.
  10. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is amazing how many hams are buying these chinese copy cats.

The uSDX project tried to work with Chinese companies to mass produce the radio and It eventually fired back and the Chinese ended up copying and selling a poor version of it.

Long story short, the only way to get the real original uSDX now called (tr)uSDX is by buying a kit which is right now available from two sites in Europe.

If you are interested in the long story, head to dl2man's website and you will learn how the chinese are selling poor copies of the radio.

If you think its cool to buy rip off projects from hams, keep buying uSDXs out of ebay and Aliexpress.

I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive.

KC1HUR, N5GSG, KO4DNI and 8 others like this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder why anyone would by a radio from a country that recycles cooking oil from the sewers? The majority of their radio gear comes from the same source it seems. Yet so many are fascinated by the cheapest price like they are getting a deal.
    I subscribe to tech minds and he never fails to deliver on honest reviews like this one. Maybe some Hams will listen though I have my doubts.

WN1MB and W9FL like this.
  12. KX2T

KX2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never buy any ham radio products made in China, NEVER cause your buying junk and getting ripped off!

WN1MB, KR3DX and KO2Q like this.
  13. IW2BYV

IW2BYV Ham Member QRZ Page

Terrible. This equipment is as practical as a hoe. I don't even want it for free

KR3DX likes this.
  14. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Which kind of "hoe"? Garden Hoe's are useful; for some (not me) so is the other kind.

NM9X likes this.
  15. K5EMG

K5EMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m sorry to inform you that almost all electronic components come from China, even the Yaesu, Icom lines use most of their components sourced from China.

But you can stop buying from cloners and copyright breakers, in China and elsewhere.

N4FZ, NM9X, AA5BK and 1 other person like this.