ad: CQMM-1

USDX USDR+ 8 Band HF SDR Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Dec 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I'm aware of that because a few people that I DO watch talk so damn fast I have to slow it down to keep up with them. It never really occurred to me to deliberately speed it up, though. For most posters I wouldn't understand half of what they 're saying, but it could be a useful fast forward that gives more info than just hovering over the progress line and looking at the little previews. Good tip, thanks.

KK1LL likes this.
  2. WD4IGX

Meh... maybe. The Xiegu G90 is, from all reports, quite good. It's not AS cheap as these, though.

It is generally true that you get what you pay for. But the scale is fairly elastic for some things.

WQ1C, KK5R, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  3. KK1LL

KK1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

The
    I buy up all kinds of chineseium radios. I also buy chibson chineesium copies of Gibson guitars.
    Its a disgusting habit, but I can quit whenever I want.

Anyway...

A chineesium product is as good as the 7-year old slave that assembles it.

Some of the products I get look like there was a disciplinary beating in progress while the kid was soldering.
    The Ailunce HS1 HF SDR HAM Transceiver is a great example of this.
    It had a strange, white, oxidation around the solder points that I assume was salt from pre-adolescent tears.

Other times, the boards are so perfect that look like they were assembled by a robot.
    I cant say if this is an actual robot, or just a child who no longer experiences human emotion.
    Xeigu definitely uses one of the two types of robots to make the G-90.

I am including a photo of me making a stupid face and pointing at a Chinese radio so that this review can be posted on the front of QRZ.

https://ibb.co/9bzmkbK

KC2KLC likes this.
  4. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's obvious that even the W2RCA/1BCG and the W2AN/1BCG re-enactment transmitters of the 1921 transatlantic tests are both several orders of magnitude better than this chi-com junk.

5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1ll's link has been taken down... you be the judge...censorship...

KK5R likes this.
  6. AA5IT

AA5IT Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked with a guy who was once a contract mechanical designer. He told me of a US appliance company wanting to get their product's bottom line up so they did the China thing. I think he said they were something like washing machines or something like that. It's been a long time since he told me but the Chinese were there on site as the American factory engineers built the factory, smiling the whole time.
    All the while the were building an exact duplicate of it 300 miles away where they produced the exact product and put the other factory out of business by undercutting it. The Chinese are proud when they do something like this in business. They are taught that this is proper etiquette. No morals whatsoever. I've seen our company ripped off more and more when we try to find products that are out of production and we buy something that's advertised as what we need, only to receive a crate full of garbage. If it's from China, I don't buy it.

K8XG likes this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had some electronic parts sourced from China in the hi tech district I specked out about 17 years ago.... My contact in the district told me later that others take what you little guys and Big Box and make cheaper stuff as Big Box wants it cheaper and cheaper each year... As you noticed you stuff was high quality but as folks demand it to be cheaper ; Americans buy crap ...

8. WD4IGX

You can literally not function in the modern world without buying SOME stuff from China.

KK5R likes this.
  9. KK1LL

KK1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

You are not missing much.

10. YO7NSP

YO7NSP Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx 73 de YO7NSP Stefan

11. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wondered how a company like Tesla is able to produce some of its cars in China on a large scale without being burned.

KO4CES likes this.
  12. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There's time YET...the fat lady hasn't sang, she's just warming up ;) ...same goes for a lot of companies that have set up over there; the instant said companies fail/go-bust/fall on hard-times/other, then the Chinese will pounce...boom...churn the same product out (as they're already set-up) at a reduced price to what Mr.Greedy Westerner charges for the same product...the clock is ticking :rolleyes:

KO4CES likes this.
  13. PY5LZ

PY5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx 4 ur xplanation. 73!

14. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Theres a good reason this stuff get cloned and cheapened. We will buy it anyway! Its the "walmartization" of ham radio.
    Look what cheap has done to the VHF/UHF end of things.

KO4CES likes this.
  15. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

When it comes to the G90, I concur. I own one, and it has given me excellent results so far. (But it helps to get a good manual for it, like from Radioddity.) As far as the radio being discussed here, it's painfully obvious as to how poorly it looks. I wouldn't touch it, period. But that's just me.

WD4IGX likes this.