Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is truly a sad day in Amateur Radio. [​IMG]

This Kenwood 950 can sit and ROT for all I care. [​IMG]

Truly, Truly Sad. [​IMG]

73 DE K8CPA

-Chuck

2. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello YC station!

Well, as a member of the international amateur radio community, you must be aware that the international regulations changed recently, and the FCC in the US is just following suit. It is purely a REGULATORY decision. It frees up resources within our government and cuts down on paperwork.

That is the black and white no nonsense reason, like it or not.

3. K4WDE

K4WDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Alrighty now! I've been waiting for years for this. Now you guys have lost your best thing. What you argue for. Like we lost our favorite enemy: the USSR. Look what we have now, a bunch of whining terrorists. Bah, who wants em. Not worthy of our sword.

Now........ what I've really been waiting for...............

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU ALL GOING TO ARGUE ABOUT?

********RIP: Code/No-code 2007*******

I'll lay odds right now, within the week, that NCT in it's victory throes will become.............

Wait for it...........................

Longer................................

a little longer.....................

just a little longer.......................

NTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(N)o (T)est at (A)ll

May the bird of Paradise fly up the arse of the next one
    who starts a code/no-code thread!

4. K6CS

K6CS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, in other words.....
    All HF bands in the General Class section of 10-160 meters?
    Kinda a pity...I had mixed feelings about losing the morse requirement but then again, who am I to say.
    Thanks for the info Ron & 73...
    Charlie  KE6OUD

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll be a general when you have a license that says "general" on it, or at least have turned in your paperwork, and waited for the rule change.

You will have no additional privileges before then.

Joe

6. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I put that in. Didn't read the final product before I hit submit

7. K6CS

K6CS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, I've got it now & thanks for the help from Bill & the others to clarify on this...I'll just keep on it & hope to pass before the rule changes...

73, Charlie  KE6OUD

8. WX0DX

WX0DX Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you expect after the cw portion was opened up for phone use?

9. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

My feelings exactly. Everyone who feels this is the death of Amateur Radio offends me, because it makes the assumption that every new ham (like me) is a CB'er, an idiot, a dolt who knows nothing about the service and has no respect for its traditions. Have a little faith, people.

I'm a new no-code Tech, as of mid-September. I had set myself a goal to become a General - or at least to get the Element 1 passed - before this happened. Due to a death in the family halfway across the country, my schedule got pushed out. But the point is, I'm afraid now that me and others like me will forever be considered "CB'ers Lite" because of our status at this point in time.

I'm as disappointed in this decision as anyone, and I can assure you I will persue code proficiency (at a whole lot higher than 5wpm) regardless. I've talked personally with other Techs in my area who feel the same way. Just today I enrolled in a 10-week class starting in January to begin the process of becoming code proficient. The primary reason I chose this particular class is that it will be taught by a guy who has been a ham since they invented dirt; this may be the best opportunity I ever have to learn from someone who has done it all. Those plans will not change after today.

While I disagree with the decision, it isn't the automatic death of Amateur radio. It all depends on the new folks coming into the activity, and how everyone continues to portray the tradition, importance, and especially the technical merits of code. I have the utmost respect for the traditions of Amateur, the hurdles you more seasoned Amateurs had to overcome, and the astonishing amount of technical knowledge you posess. I only ask that us new guys be given the chance to prove that we aren't all a bunch of CB'ers, and that many of us have a strong interest in helping to hand your stories down to future generations.

Please, don't put folks like me in a position where we have to apologize for the rest of our lives because we only recently came into your avocation.

Mike, KC0KBC

10. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You do have to wait 30 days for it to be published in the federal register. I thought I put that in, hit submit and forgot about it. Nothing happens till it hits that register. I would continue learning the code if you have gone this far just for the satisfaction of knowing you didn't waste your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.