ad: k1jek

Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing needs clarified.

Federal rules require that changes like this must be published in the Federal Register. They take effect 30 days after the date it is published in the Register.

We just went through this with the Phone Band expansion... it didn't take effect until 30 days after the date published...

And isn't it interesting that this decision is released on the very same day that the expansion took place?

2. N5DUX

N5DUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aha, thanks for clearing that up. [​IMG]

3. KI4IES

KI4IES Ham Member QRZ Page

I'ts funny how people who are well trained, exp. hams complain about something that should have happened many years ago. I am a technician and proud of it. My ticket was not handed to me and I did earn it. I did this with a brain injury. No, I can't remember enough of cw to pass it and furthermore I have no intention of using it. For those who do, I'm happy for you. I will say that if you don't like how ham radio is evolving then maybe ignore us? Would that be in the best intrest of making the hobby better? Instead of complaining and crying about how this will be CB, I have a novel Idea. Why not help a ham?Whine and cry all you want but it will take all of us to band together and help each other. Simply put, instead of complaining about things why not help another ham i.e. me or others like me who do have a learning disability but in some eyes I'm not good enough or too lazy or some other excuse. Guess what? I AM a ham and proud of it. Go ahead, make all the jokes you want about ham radio but I'll be looking forward to making contact with you in the near future! [​IMG]

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Ron & Joe.

I think these will be the questions in a lot of peoples minds.

73 & Best Wishes For The Holidays

5. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, how about this, Mike...get on the air, enjoy your new hobby, have fun and...im serious about this...disregard ANYONE who tries to put you down for being less of a ham, so to speak. you wouldnt put up with it in the workplace, or in your household or from someone on the street...why on earth would you put up with it in a hobby? It makes no difference if its to your face or on a screen or coming through headphones, disrespect is still disrespect...only people with unresolved issues exude disrespect, regardless of the subject...at that point, a ham radio license class is just an excuse for a disrespectful person to billboard their own failed sense of happiness.

Make NO apologies, Mike. I would love to hear you on CW, keep working on it and you will find me there ready to talk to you. That goes for ALL new no-code hams...if you act like a CB jerk, trust me, we'll let you know, and hopefully the FCC will make more moves to let you know too. but i simply dont have the right to label you anything if you havent DONE anything wrong except be interested in ham radio. not a crime last time i checked.

Win or lose...thank god this sorry, dark chapter of our history has drawn to a close. hopefully it will simmer down soon and we can get back to hamming.

73...Adam, N7YA

6. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not feel alone and do not become discouraged at any point. Ignore what some say because they are so normal they forget there are genuine disabilities. I had a blood clot disolved from my brain and had a minor stroke. All side effects of agent orange exposure. It took me a year and a half to pass my general written. If I did not have the 5wpm from my novice license I would not be a general today. I too heard the stories how I wasn't dedicated and I would be the reason for the downfall of the hobby.

Always remember the class does not make the operator. The operator makes the class. I'm sure you will do well.

7. WU5E

WU5E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

that 30 days allows HRO, AES to get there act together and make a good sale ad , oh tax refunds checks will be coming out, oh man! maybe someone will write a manual how operate on HF. I think every Extra or Advance operators should take the Tech under  his or her arm and show them how to be a good radio operator so we don't make fools out of our selves on HF.

DX all the way!

Jim
    wu5e

8. KE7GGV

KE7GGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is great...and I feel that HAM will not become CB...you can't please everyone....and just because it is dropped for requirement...it seems like the world had ended....and all heck will break loose....yes you need to be a skilled operator and know your stuff....I do not think knowing CW...makes you a better operator...there is a time and a place for CW....and no one is stopping the use of CW on the air....or forcing anyone to stop....it is just a step of progress and one less pain...and there are those who have tried really hard to fit into someones standard...of what "a HAM operator"is and should be because of CW...

Hate what I say...that is your right...and if you are ashamed of being a Ham Operator...then get out of it...no one is forcing you....now that is my opinion...and it is my thought...you do not have to take it at face value...but....but again just because it is dropped for a requirement..the world has ended...and who says you have to stop using it....it is a choice....but I would suggest to those...read the book.."Who moved my Cheese".....google it...yes people whine....and with ANY change you will get flack.... someone once told me...."what kind of cheese would you like with your Whine"....

Oh yes..I welcome any E MAIL...pro or con...to

ke7ggvham@yahoo.com

Just my 5 cents worth...thank you for your time....THX DE KE7GGV/AAR0AJ...73 to all....

9. KW6AM

KW6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

What abunch of lazy retards. Ohh tthe code is so hard to learn I have to actually study and use my brain... A SAD DAY for the amateur radio community. All you non code backers DROP DEAD!

10. W1SK

W1SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Lee, you have been a great friend for so long, please dont take this the wrong way.

This is the United States of America, we NEED to hold our amateur radio operators to a high standard here. I was hoping that the FCC would find a replacement for our code test, unfortunately they just eliminated it, which is a really bad idea.

I hope this gets fixed real soon.

Joe

11. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, stop whining, business goes on, us the elite will keep rattling the keys.

12. KB5DRJ

KB5DRJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure what I feel about this. [​IMG]

My favorite mode of operation has always been CW. Took an elective class "Introduction to Radio and Electronics" as a freshman in high school. The final exam was the written and code test. I passed the first try and got my ticket KA9LBM. Those were fun days! My teacher, Allan Johnson AA7CS prior WB9FMU, was a great instructor and I learned a lot about the hobby. I think it only took a week or so to learn the code and the rest of the year to learn the theory for the novice test. I logged hundreds of QSOs from the school station on CW on a Heathkit HW-16 and a few crystals.

I think my challenge would be to go ahead and learn the code anyways and try some CW QSOs - they are lots of fun. Listen in on some QSOs and you'll soon be copying solid. CW is one of the best modes during poor band conditions.

Above all have fun. Be courteous. Use minimum required power. Get at least on thing with tubes in it! [​IMG]

I do not feel that knowing CW makes one a better operator - just a more skilled operator. [​IMG]

David KB5DRJ

13. WB6YAM

WB6YAM Ham Member QRZ Page

There goes the neighborhood Ugh! Bands. Here come the LIDS!!

CW, like Rock-n-Roll will live forever.

73 & be carefull out there!

WB6YAM
    (13wpm General and dam proud of it)

14. KE7GGV

KE7GGV Ham Member QRZ Page

who would think that someone would be so violent and wishing us to drop dead...mmmmmm..LOL.....so I guess no one can be a smart as you...and learn the code...but no matter how hard you try....and learn...I guess some have the knack....some dont...well...I guess.."us retards"...should try harder....again with change....the whole word has stopped...

15. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess code isn't the filter people claim it is, it let someone with a mindset like you on HF.

Eric Kc5Fog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.