ad: M2Ant-1

Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I put that in. Didn't read the final product before I hit submit

2. K6CS

K6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I've got it now & thanks for the help from Bill & the others to clarify on this...I'll just keep on it & hope to pass before the rule changes...

73, Charlie  KE6OUD

3. KI0U

KI0U Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you expect after the cw portion was opened up for phone use?

4. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

My feelings exactly. Everyone who feels this is the death of Amateur Radio offends me, because it makes the assumption that every new ham (like me) is a CB'er, an idiot, a dolt who knows nothing about the service and has no respect for its traditions. Have a little faith, people.

I'm a new no-code Tech, as of mid-September. I had set myself a goal to become a General - or at least to get the Element 1 passed - before this happened. Due to a death in the family halfway across the country, my schedule got pushed out. But the point is, I'm afraid now that me and others like me will forever be considered "CB'ers Lite" because of our status at this point in time.

I'm as disappointed in this decision as anyone, and I can assure you I will persue code proficiency (at a whole lot higher than 5wpm) regardless. I've talked personally with other Techs in my area who feel the same way. Just today I enrolled in a 10-week class starting in January to begin the process of becoming code proficient. The primary reason I chose this particular class is that it will be taught by a guy who has been a ham since they invented dirt; this may be the best opportunity I ever have to learn from someone who has done it all. Those plans will not change after today.

While I disagree with the decision, it isn't the automatic death of Amateur radio. It all depends on the new folks coming into the activity, and how everyone continues to portray the tradition, importance, and especially the technical merits of code. I have the utmost respect for the traditions of Amateur, the hurdles you more seasoned Amateurs had to overcome, and the astonishing amount of technical knowledge you posess. I only ask that us new guys be given the chance to prove that we aren't all a bunch of CB'ers, and that many of us have a strong interest in helping to hand your stories down to future generations.

Please, don't put folks like me in a position where we have to apologize for the rest of our lives because we only recently came into your avocation.

Mike, KC0KBC

5. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You do have to wait 30 days for it to be published in the federal register. I thought I put that in, hit submit and forgot about it. Nothing happens till it hits that register. I would continue learning the code if you have gone this far just for the satisfaction of knowing you didn't waste your time.

6. KF4NNI

KF4NNI Ham Member QRZ Page

I Just worked my @#$ off for the last 2 months to get my 5wpm and my general today and they go off and do this not to sound ungratfull Im glad I got it but it could have saves me alot of grief on this thing if i knew this was going to happen this quick [​IMG]

7. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

KF4NNI, I envy you - I'd give anything to have passed the test today! Your effort was well worth it!

Mike, KC0KBC

8. KI6ADA

KI6ADA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well first of all am I excited?? YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check all my earlier posts and I predicated Santa would bring me a present.

I will gladly stand in line at the next VEC session with my $14 Bucks.

Merry Christmas to those of us who practiced lots of patience!

73, KI6ADA or Kilo India Six Alpha Delta Alpha!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Recaps:

"Prior to today’s action, the FCC, in accordance with international radio regulations, required applicants for General Class and Amateur Extra Class operator licenses to pass a five words-per-minute Morse code examination.  Today’s Order eliminates that requirement for General and Amateur Extra licensees."

"Today’s Order eliminates that requirement (CW) for General and Amateur Extra licensees. "

"The FCC, in today’s action, afforded Technician and Technician Plus licensees identical operating privileges."  

"Today’s Order resolved a petition filed by the ARRL for partial reconsideration of an FCC Order released on October 10, 2006 (FCC 06-149). "

Seems they got quite a bit done.

Where in the FCC order released today does it say anything about it not taking effect for 30 days as one post suggested?

This is going to have to be the very first thing that's clarified otherwise this recent R&O release will surely create additional confusion.

The ARRL or other newswothy entity (FRED are you reading this?) needs to clarify the "When and Where" details very clearly in a news release as soon as possible before chaos surrounding this fact occurs.

Of course, there will be many questions such as if you have a general written does that now make you a general if the code test no longer exists? .... Or then again does it still exist? What if I went to a VE tommorow to do a CW test, is it still a requirement?

According to this R&O the answer seems to be "NO"

Let me Quote:

"Today’s Order eliminates that requirement (CW) for General and Amateur Extra licensees. "

So.... does this quote mean today or at a later time ??

73 Charles - KC8VWM

10. N5DUX

N5DUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess all the NCT "hold-outs" can stop holding their breath finally.
    [​IMG]

(Just wanting to get in on this otherwise "historic" thread. It's bound to be one of the longest.)

As a new VE, I too would like some clarification. Tomorrow we have our 2nd testing session in our area. I'm sure January's testing session will be full of upgrades.

11. N7ZSD

N7ZSD Ham Member QRZ Page

To all those who think this is the end of Amateur Radio as we know it:

I passed the 5wpm requirement because it was needed to get me on HF.  No big deal.  But I hardly ever use CW.  Don't get me wrong, CW is a cool mode, it's just not my thing.  Those who enjoy CW will continue to use CW, and I respect them for their skill and dedication.  If and when a NCT wants to join in a CW QSO, he will have to learn CW to do so.  Dropping the code requirement is NOT going to destroy ham radio.  In fact, I feel we can use some new blood.  In case some people haven't noticed, the younger generation of hams are some sharp guys and gals.  I think they will have alot to offer to the hobby.  Some of the worst behavior I have ever heard on the radio was on 75 meters...by two Extra Class ticket holders no less.  So don't sit there and tell me that NCT's are going to ruin the hobby...that is a load of crap and we all know it!  As a good friend of mine said.."Perhaps instead of 5 wpm morse code, we should test on proficiency with digital modes, but that would be forcing one aspect of Amateur Radio down everybody's throat.  Hmmm..." [​IMG]

12. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoa! he looks pregnant...

13. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to miss all the Code / No Code debates we used to have...
    What are we going to argue about? (Shrug) ..That's all I know.

14. WU5E

WU5E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WELL WELL, The day has arrived, now stop whining! pick up the mike or the key and have fun and don't worry about it. Oh if you have the old rigs, you might want to shine them up be cause there are many many techs now that will wanting to buy a radios. OH what if the YL got you a HT for Christmas! You going to take it back? hehehehe.

Jim
    WU5E
    YI9E

IN IRAQ, CW,PACTOR,PSK31, SSB

15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

All rule changes are done by R&O (unless emergency). The R&O has to be published in the federal register. That is the official publication of the new rules. Right now, it's just unofficial, but real.

The rule becomes law 30 days AFTER the publication date. Since it may take 3 to 5 weeks to get it published, this is likely to be about 50-70 days from now.

No-one become a new license class until they have done the paperwork for an upgrade. The fact that you have passed the general written doesn't make you a general. Currently, the code is still required. After the R&O becomes law, then you can take that CSCE to a VE, do the paperwork for general, and become one officially.

Techs will automatically get tech+ privs on the day this becomes law, no upgrade necessary. Everyone else will have to take the test, and/or file the paperwork. The code test will still be the law until then.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.