ad: elecraft

Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Adam, and in due course I'd consider it a privilege to make contact with you... via code, of course! I look forward to it...

... the defense rests.

2. KE7GGV

KE7GGV Ham Member QRZ Page

So tell me are the other countries... stupid and retards..for dropping their requirements for HF....yea it tooks us a while to be with the other countires....But I betcha..that those operators in those countires are more understanding and not telling the no-coders...in your words...DROP DEAD....wow....hate to meet you in a dark alley.....LOL....and I am sure they are a bit more encouraging to those new at HAM...

3. KW7WP

KW7WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Let’s not jump to conclusion in thinking that Technician Class licensees will have limited voice privileges below 30 Mhz. Look at the wording in the FCC press release. The first sentence reads as follows, “Today’s Order also revises the operating privileges for Technician Class licensees by eliminating a disparity in the operating privileges for the Technician Class and Technician Plus Class licensees.” But the next sentence reads “Technician Class licensees are authorized operating privileges on all amateur frequencies above 30 MHz.” There is no mention of frequencies below 30 MHz.

In saying that “the FCC, in today’s action, afforded Technician and Technician Plus licensees identical operating privileges”, the interpretation should be that the Tech Plus is loosing HF privileges.

It’s just too bad that the FCC chose to release the statement, without any further clarification, late on a Friday. In the least it shows a lack of courtesy to the Amatuer community, at worse it smacks of political sleaze.

And really, what is so hard about learning about 40 sound patterns? As the saying goes, “When all else fails – Amateur Radio”, but within Amateur Radio the saying should be, “When all else fails – CW”.

Further, why all the extra space for the 80/75 meter SSB crowd? When demonstrating ham radio to anyone, I make it a point to avoid those frequencies so as to avoid any risk of embarrassment to our hobby and loosing a potential new Amatuer.

The FCC did nothing to enhance the digital modes which is really the bright spot in our future and can be used to attract more young persons.

Tnx es 73 [​IMG]

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking forward to using CW on HF.
    No, I am not pretending to be perfect at CW. I mostly use it for long haul VHF DX contacts at this point in time.

Hopefully, I can improve my fist and do a little more than mere quick DX exchanges on VHF.

Enjoy the holidays.

Charles de KC8VWM

...Or should that read:

--... ...-- -.. . -.-. .... .- .-. .-.. . ... -.- -.-. ---.. ...- .-- -- . -- ---.. ----.

5. N7ZSD

N7ZSD Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, would you like to have a QSO with a guy with this attitude?  Makes you wonder why some people don't pursue the hobby further, doesn't it?  [​IMG]

I just got told to "drop dead" because I feel that dropping Morse code will not be the end of ham radio.  This type of behavior is what will ruin the hobby my friend, not the Morse code issue.

To the QRZ moderators:
    Grab a pot of coffee boys, it's going to be a long night! [​IMG]

6. K6CS

K6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

You sir, need to get a life!
    As for retards, they are human too! Don't you think there is enough hate in this world without you adding something to the pot. Are you so special that the world revolves around you? My baby sister was born retarded and I take real offence to your comments.

7. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can say is congratulations to my fellow no-code operators who helped fight this battle. Can't wait to see all of you giving the old timers a run for their money in those contests and chasing that rare DX.

I truly wish I could see the looks on each and every one of those old timers faces who said this would never happen when they read the news.

I look forward to seeing all of my fellow no-code ops down on HF very soon.

Eric Kc5Fog (soon to be EXTRA Fog)

And who said Christmas miracles never happen

8. KI4IES

KI4IES Ham Member QRZ Page

So this is how a true ham radio operator talks? I don't think so and It seems to me that statements exactly like that one are extremely unprofessional. It's not the rule changes which will bring the demise of ham radio but the inability to accept this is how it is and the constant bickering with name calling. This is imature and something which is wrong. A retard? Like I said in my original post, find something else to do or help another young ham get his ticket however I guess it's much easier to sit around and call people retards. Once again,I do have a brain injury and I'm not the only one out here with a disability. Statements and attitudes like that is what will end ham radio not dropping the cw. If you don't want to accept it then ignore us but I will be there! I hope to work you on the air one day [​IMG]

9. KE7GGV

I agree...I hate to have a QSO with that person...really...and be beaten over the head with a CW KEY...LOL...but again that is their right to say that...who knows...I might use CW...sometime...I never said...I will not use CW....again and time and a place for it...that is cool....but to the point of telling me to drop dead..that worries me....really....I do not think I would be a lesser operator..just because the FCC dropped the requirement...again who is stopping people from using CW...no one is pointing a gun at them...it is just a change...and yes the world is round..LOL....again my thought...ok...then make the test harder...but wait.....mmmm...no one is perfect...

10. KE7HLR

KE7HLR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, come on...The DMV doesn't test you on a manual transmission to get a driver's license, yet there are still plenty of people out there who know how to drive a stick-shift.

Likewise, CW isn't going away, and new folks who want to use it will still take the time to learn it...

73 de Dan, KE7HLR

11. vk3aof

vk3aof Guest

About time ..welcome to the rest of the world. [​IMG]

12. KE7GGV

I am highly offended as well for the use of retards...my sister was born...not at full mental capacity....so my question is....if your child was born a certain way....would you have the guts...to treat them like that...wow....and wishing a person to drop dead...my goodness...that is really harsh and hateful....wow...that blows my mind...so am I in that area...just because...I am disabled...myself......

13. KE7GGV

So some who are really good operators..have a learning curve...and have a hard time...are you perfect...come on...

14. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Fall of the Morse Code God! With a simple stroke of the pen the FCC dropped the requirement.
    Now let’s see how many turn in their tickets or sell their equipment on eBay as promised.

[​IMG]

15. W5WHT

W5WHT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us have struggled for years trying to hear the code and I for one are one of them people that have a hard time with the code. Personally I think it's a blessing that they decided to do this.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.