ad: ProAudio-1

Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AJ7E

AJ7E Ham Member QRZ Page

You still have to wait 30 days after it is published in the federal register.

RIchard, N7TGB

2. KC8ZON

KC8ZON QRZ Member QRZ Page

Well i don't think its gonna be as bad as a few of you are makeing it out to be they still have to take a test to get there which is gonna be harder than what we took with the code ,,,, plus you can still cw your hearts away and they can't talk to you ...... either way you all knew it was gonna happen when the rest of the world ditched it as a requirment i myself think they shoulda kept it for the extra class but i'm not them ..... the should have kept it due to it being part of history as well as other reasons but oh well life is all about changes so heres one for ya ....73's see ya all on the cw portion of the bands de kc8zon:D

3. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

If one does not like the rule change maybe they should leave the hobby and the forum.

4. KB9TMP

KB9TMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie
    If you ask around I'm sure some of the OF's in your area would be more than happy to give you an 'unofficial' code test. If you lived around here, I would be more than willing to help you out.

5. AK6E

AK6E Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that in the end this is best for amature radio. Think of all the people out there that have electronics background and work on repeater systems and and have not been able to work the HF bands. Those type of individuals are needed in amature radio. We will see if this brings more people into ham radio. My opinion is that with the technology changes such as computers, cell phones etc..we are not going to see as many people join the ranks of ham radio as all of you think. I think it is still an issue of wanting to do this hobby, not because code was blocking the way of interest. I enjoy operating higher speed cw on HF and guys like me will always be out there to qso with but i also understand its not everybodys cup of tea. As a VE examineer i think that the extra class license ( only ) should have remained with a cw code requirment of at least five wpm to have an acknoledge of achievement. Moral of the story is do what interest you in ham radio and have fun with it.
    Steve AK6E

6. KC8ZON

KC8ZON QRZ Member QRZ Page

oh and another thing if i was you all who are studing CW continue on cause there will be alot of us still useing it and if you learn it you can talk to us too and not be lost and if you passed your gen written and workin on your code part still do it wether its needed or not you can still take it no need to put in time and effort to learn what ya got to just throw it away .... knowledge is power

7. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG I'm in shock. I'm out of Wine now I'm hitting the Beer. This news came out of the blue with out a warning.
    Rick KC2ESD

8. N5UV

N5UV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not inconceivable at all...in fact, it's about time this happened.  So what, a bunch of new hams can get on HF...HF has been losing activity over the last 10 years, kept alive only by contests on the weekend and net activities.  I used to be able to get on 15m at ANY time of the day back in the early 90s and work just about anyone on the band...not so much this last solar peak.  Hell, there used to be a time where there was NO room on 75m voice above 3750 Kcs...now, even before they opened up SSB to 3600 Kcs, I could find an open spot for calling CQ.

We need fresh meat on the bands, and it's better to do it now when the solar cycle is at a minimum.  Ham radio survived the Technician class changes, "dumbing down" of the test, and lowering of code speed...and it will certainly survive this change too.

Go ahead and make your barbarians-at-the-gates comments now, we've heard it all before...but you might as well have one more, last good cry over this while you can...I won't

9. YB2TJV

YB2TJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Even it's not related direct to me, but I'm vy sad to hear this.
    The question is "WHY"?

10. AJ7E

AJ7E Ham Member QRZ Page

My feeling is that with the increased number of Hams on HF, there will be more use of code, not less.

Richard, N7TGB

11. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is truly a sad day in Amateur Radio. [​IMG]

This Kenwood 950 can sit and ROT for all I care. [​IMG]

Truly, Truly Sad. [​IMG]

73 DE K8CPA

-Chuck

12. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello YC station!

Well, as a member of the international amateur radio community, you must be aware that the international regulations changed recently, and the FCC in the US is just following suit. It is purely a REGULATORY decision. It frees up resources within our government and cuts down on paperwork.

That is the black and white no nonsense reason, like it or not.

13. K4WDE

K4WDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Alrighty now! I've been waiting for years for this. Now you guys have lost your best thing. What you argue for. Like we lost our favorite enemy: the USSR. Look what we have now, a bunch of whining terrorists. Bah, who wants em. Not worthy of our sword.

Now........ what I've really been waiting for...............

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU ALL GOING TO ARGUE ABOUT?

********RIP: Code/No-code 2007*******

I'll lay odds right now, within the week, that NCT in it's victory throes will become.............

Wait for it...........................

Longer................................

a little longer.....................

just a little longer.......................

NTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(N)o (T)est at (A)ll

May the bird of Paradise fly up the arse of the next one
    who starts a code/no-code thread!

14. K6CS

K6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

So, in other words.....
    All HF bands in the General Class section of 10-160 meters?
    Kinda a pity...I had mixed feelings about losing the morse requirement but then again, who am I to say.
    Thanks for the info Ron & 73...
    Charlie  KE6OUD

15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll be a general when you have a license that says "general" on it, or at least have turned in your paperwork, and waited for the rule change.

You will have no additional privileges before then.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.