Morse Code Eliminated by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Get ready for the LONGEST MESSAGE THREAD IN QRZ.COM HISTORY.

Fred, are your servers up to the task?

Oh, yes, that's right, you upgraded them a few months back.

You are one smart fellow!

2. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

YES Its about time. We dont drive Model T's any more yes the radio world will improve. Better greater than ever. And new stuff comeing to the market. Alrighty than. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The saddest day in the history of Amateur radio. All that is left now is petition the FCC to change the name to "Citizen's Band Radio Service" and put 11 meters back in the allocations.
    For over 45 years I was proud to say I was an Amateur Radio Operator. Now I am almost ashamed to tell anyone I am a part of it.
    Very sad. And my new amp just came in the mail today.
    Maybe I'll just take out the tubes and plant flowers in
    the holes.
    KL7FZ

4. N0DOZ

N0DOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WooHoo! Finally!
    Thank you to all who helped the FCC decide to move into the 21st century.

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What a bunch of whiners! And Charlie thought the no-coders were bad. He's going to have a field day with these guys.

Joe

6. NY1T

NY1T Ham Member QRZ Page

Licenses will be next. Not that I have any problem with the removal of the code requirement, I just think it should be replaced with some other skill. But with the teaching the test, there is no reason to have a test.
    I work at a place that requires a GROL. I know people with their GROL that don't know what Ohms law is. One guy missed the test by one question and wanted to sue the examiner because of how he interpreted their rules, he should have passed. Galen

7. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[/QUOTE] Yeah, and they are called "Cell phones" [​IMG]

8. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here comes all the crying and tear jerking about the demise of ham radio. I lived through the crying when code dropped from 13wpm to 5, then I lived through the crying when the first no code license arrived and surprise, surprise we have survived and so has ham radio. Morse code has been holding back many qualified operators. Some literally cannot comprehend it, others refused to study for something they would never use. I took 5wpm in 1971, then took 13wpm in 1973, then took 5wpm in 1986 to get another license since I let my first one lapse past the grace period. Except for the 3 times I used code to pass a test I have never used code while operating on a radio because I had no desire to.

I do wish they had kept it in force for the Extra license but that is all in the past now. Next we see who acts like the new no code licensees are inferior.

9. W5TLV

W5TLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it seems that it's all getting back to the way it used to be afterall.. Years of band and privilege changes and nothing has really changed. Since the tech amateur now has the same operating privileges as the tech plus amateur, why not finish the job and merge the advanced class operators with the extra class operators [​IMG]?? This will complete the cycle !!! Advanced class amateurs have earned an upgrade too.

W5TLV

10. K6CS

K6CS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, now somebody clue me in here....
    I've passed my written General 2 months ago & am 3/4 way thru on doing my 5 wpm code. Am I now just wasting my time trying to do the CW test? Do I need to re-do a new General written? Should I just start studying for my extra? I'm confused now.....
    I did want to pass the 5 wpm just so no one can whine my ticket was handed to me. And besides, what if someday I get in a bad accident & not able to speak or write to communicate but can tap out CW?

73, Charlie KE6OUD
    (Merry Christmas to all!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.