ad: MLSons-1

HR2.0 - ARRL CEO Is Out! YouTubers Bunch #10

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Been there, done that. No reason to attempt to relive my youth. With age comes wisdom :) and hearing loss :(.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What? ;)

WB8NUT likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the club.

Unless you have Meniere's, such loss is an invitation to phasing and filtering and binaural synthesis at the pinnae. THAT's called 'enhancing the art'.

Another example, on CW, you can take dual watch and offset your second Rx by 30-50 Hz. This makes the CW come in as two-tone, like a telephone dial tone. Easily separates it from QRN, in hearing loss, QRN noise still sounds like noise. SIgnal more easily distinguished.

Betcha didnt hear of THAT one before:)

Think. Innovate. Ham radio is an invitation.

Or, FT8.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    WN1MB likes this.
  4. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that if you want to submit a log in a ARRL contest you do have to be a member.

5. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is simply not correct.

WD8ED and NY4I like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinking and knowing are different. Please substantiate your claim.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ALL ARRL and CQ contests are free.
    F-R-E-E...

As Brennan sed ;-)

WB8NUT likes this.
  8. KB2ANG

KB2ANG Ham Member QRZ Page

Never underestimate the disposable cash (notice, I did not say Income) that youth have. In certain areas of Scouting, we have patch auctions....No, not phone patches....Scouting and colorful pieces of cloth just seem to go together, ask my wife...and it amazes me how many of the youth are able to out bid adults for some of these items. Some go for $100 or $200.

9. N2DDX

N2DDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What has the Arrl done for me lately or actually ever...
    some say spectrum defense if the price is right its gone....

10. N5DAR

N5DAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesting is simply NOT enhancing the art! Contesters are for the most rude and aggressive. They will move right in on a qso and start hollering "cq contest". They do it constantly. I have heard them contesting on 17. I just turn my radio off!

K1OIK and WS9E like this.
  11. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will have to try this. Thanks: however, there will NOT be any FT8:eek:. JS8call & PSK31;)

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesting predominantly maps to Part 97 as "providing a pool of operators skilled in the art". There is SOME 'enhancing the art', but that's less of a factor.

We've been down this path before: using your radio, 'appliance op' or not, makes you one of the pool 'skilled in the art'. One who would NOT be skilled in the art would be someone who does not know how to use the radio or communicate with it. We have many Techs, unfortunately, who are in that position. They do not, for example, get on contests.

So contesting is just fine as contributing to Part 97's mission.

It also shows use of spectrum, rather than having it seem idle.

There are no contests on 17m.

Chip W1YW

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Two-tone RX on CW is annoying, but its annoying ABOVE the perceived noise.

;-)

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL does a great job of initiating and maintaining ON THE AIR activities. This, in turn, justifies spectrum allocations.

There are dozens of things the ARRL does in support of the above (OTA push); take a look as the list is too long to justify my time listing.

I like big time contesting; DXCC; VM'ing; LOTW; VUCC; just to name a few. These are ARRL based.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    N7XCZ likes this.
  15. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

it is a requirement for the ACC

1. 8.1. There are nine ARRL-sponsored contests that are designated as Affiliated Club Competitions (ACC) for ARRL and RAC affiliated clubs:
      1. 8.1.1. January VHF Contest
      2. 8.1.2. RTTY Roundup (January)
      3. 8.1.3. (February and March) International DX Contest
      4. 8.1.4. June VHF Contest
      5. 8.1.5. (August) 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest
      6. 8.1.6. September VHF Contest
      7. 8.1.7. November Sweepstakes
      8. 8.1.8. (December) 160-Meter Contest
      9. 8.1.9. (December) 10-Meter Contest
    2. 8.2. Only clubs actively affiliated with the ARRL or RAC may participate in the ACC.