HR2.0 - ARRL CEO Is Out! YouTubers Bunch #10

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode from The YouTubers Bunch, we discuss Howard Michel, WB2ITX, the short-term CEO of the ARRL and how a change is leadership can affect the ARRL and Amateur Radio as a whole.

WA6QGH likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This will be 6 CEO's in 4 years, when they bring in the new CEO.

Amateur radio is only slightly affected.

The real issue is ARRL--NAAR as a representative body of Part 97 licensees. Right now they don't have the numbers to claim much influence. Mind you, positive efforts are and have been made to change that.

We need more of those 'just in case' Techs to be OTA ,and ARRL members.

That is job number one for any ARRL-NAAR CEO.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    WQ4G, KC5HWB and N0TZU like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's fairly standard in most non profits to keep the BOD meetings closed. In the ARRL case, the directors and vice directors are proxies for the MEMBERSHIP. THEY are supposed to convey the concerns and wishes of the members, and, in general, that seems to be working.

No one is ashamed in these meetings, one supposes. The point is that a variety of positions, ideas, and approaches are discussed and keeping the BOD meeting closed ALLOWS that frank discussion and then consensus as applicable. Who wants to be inhibited in a public meeting? That could be like a Bernie Sanders rally and its disruption.

The ARRL is acting in fair practice keeping the meetings closed, also, transcribing and summarizing the minutes takes more than 5 minutes. Six weeks is a little long, but not unreasonable. The directors are busy volunteers, ya know.

Minutes are not contest logs...they aren't due in three days.

Some non profits are having board meetings, and THEN 'STACKEHOLDER ' meetings' (SM), where the SM is open to members.

KA0HCP, WB8SCT, N9LCD and 1 other person like this.
  4. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Basically, milk the golden calf till it's dry and spilt town. That is the ARRL's plan. Won't be renewing.

KD5RJZ, KG7HVR, KC8FRP and 4 others like this.
  5. N9WRP

N9WRP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys should be running the ARRL. Great show.
    Thank you for your passion.

KL7IXW and KC5HWB like this.
  6. N5DAR

N5DAR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL should be done away with! Tired of their BS!

KD5RJZ, KG7HVR, KC8FRP and 7 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

DO you have a model example for a non profit that adheres to unrealistic suggestions of some of the bloggers?

There are reasons why non profits are governed the way they are. If you want to tear the ARRL structure down, show us how to replace it.

KC5QNK, K9FV, K7YB and 12 others like this.
  8. KC5HWB

LOL not sure I want that responsibility, but thanks for the kind words.

9. KC5HWB

I can't agree with that. They do LOTS for spectrum defense. Regardless of some of their faults, I think we would be much worse-off without them.

KC5QNK, AB4KA, K9FV and 9 others like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not listening to 38 minutes of that crap!!!
    I will waste my time calling CQ.

KD5RJZ, KG7HVR, K1OIK and 10 others like this.