ad: Mountaingoat-1

Hams Helping Hams

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K7HN, Jan 7, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K7HN

K7HN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone and happy New Year!

I host a YouTube channel to encourage people to get their ham radio licenses. I also host a shortwave show called CQ Calling on WRMI That also tries to encourage people to get their ham radio license. Icom sponsors that show.

Ray Novak, N9JA, gave me a great idea and I’d like to share it with you. I call it “Hams Helping Hams.”

i’ve had a couple of people from my YouTube channel send radios, antennas and other items to recently licensed hams who have no equipment to start their shack with.

Many of these people struggle to buy a Transceiver or Antenna and some need feedline, or a power supply.

Im asking anyone that reads this post if you have any spirits here lying around that you’re not using anymore to consider giving it to a new ham, who’s simply trying to build their first shack and get on the air.

I expect the receiver of these goods to pay for the shipping of whatever items people can send them.

my YouTube channel link is here: https://youtube.com/channel/UCYv1wX9-Z6HvbmeuKyX17xQ

if you have any spare gear lying around that you could donate to a new ham, please reach out to me at “CQHamRadioLive@gmail.com” or here on my QRZ email.

I know of hams in Canada, Romania as well as the UK who don’t have much money and could use whatever gear people could donate.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I think Rayes‘s idea is very good and my YouTube platform is a great place for people to help each other.

All my best to you and yours,

Larry Deyoe
    de K7HN

K5EMG likes this.
  2. K5EMG

K5EMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It will help too if people here will get ride of old or unwanted stuff selling it for real value prices, and NOT for emotional or attached-to-it prices. A lot of sellers here sell their stuff so expensive that it's better to buy from stores new brand and not taking risks. For those who sell at attractive prices here, many thanks, you're in some way helping new hams.

K7HN likes this.
  3. K7HN

K7HN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your post. I agree. Sometimes there is a lot of emotional attachment. I have a viewer from Europe who gave away a radio that he made a QSO with his grandfather on… He said he would never sell it. He ended up giving it away to a new ham who didn’t have any gear.

I couldn’t believe it.

then, a second ham from my channel did the same thing for another European ham.

Once I shared it with Ray, he actually came up with the idea. I think it’s brilliant.

i’m not trying to reinvent the wheel here or create viewership for the channel… It has nothing to do with any of that. It’s truly about trying to help others. I’m trying to figure out how I can handle extra emails now LOL.

Thank you again for your post. It’s nice to meet you.

Larry
    de K7HN

K5EMG likes this.