ad: UR5CDX-1

Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WT4M

WT4M Ham Member QRZ Page

I think if I were the editor of a major magazine like TIME, I would try to step on as few toes as possible, especially if it was not necessary or done just to make a point (as in this case).

I will have to say that most of the young folks I encounter (and I regularly encounter, and work with many) are somewhat confused when they learn that I am an Amateur Radio licensee. Perhaps a handful know what I am talking about when I say “Amateur Radio”, two handfuls have heard “Ham”. Nonetheless, almost all of them think it is the most absurd thing that they have ever heard.

We hand our children cell phones from the time they are old enough to speak. Today, you can barely escape the Internet. When the majority of Amateurs grew up, (including myself, more or less) wireless phones were extremely pricey (if available at all) and were as big as a breadbox. The Internet was the local library.

My hobbies have never been about how cool I will look in performance of said hobby. I would be tricking out cars if that were the case. I am quite certain there are those among us that would raise our eyebrows at those whom collect butterflies or watch birds, arrange flowers, etc.

My interest in learning Morse (and continuing to increase my speed) is personal gratification in becoming proficient with it. My reasons for wanting to set up a station and operate is because I like things electronic and enjoy “tinkering” as my wife likes to call it. All of the great stories about how Amateurs have helped out in emergencies certainly have formed my opinion about its worth as a public service, as well as a fraternity and hobby. Nothing shows how valuable our service is until a natural disaster occurs, and even then the mainstream media rarely adequately recognizes Amateur contributions. I do believe that there is something intangible and inherently noble about service without recognition!

I don’t think that an off the cuff remark, by someone who probably didn’t think about what he was writing should draw our concern. More disquieting is the fact that many of the postings I see on the Internet (from our peers) are not up to the standards of our predecessors. Unfortunately it is more often than not, that an Amateur will dedicate a great deal of time to write an article for QRZ (or another online service) only to be bashed about the head and shoulders for having a point of view. Frequently, interesting discussions turn into an insult ring toss.

Though I am not necessarily embarrassed by it, I think I can live comfortably with folks thinking that I am odd because I know Morse code and spend entirely too much money, time and energy on radios. That is much superior to them thinking that I am ill mannered and an ingrate!

V/r,

2. N2TBI

N2TBI Ham Member QRZ Page

The author is another Jerk who feels better making fun of others.

It's like Joe Piscapo(sp?) with the "Hi, I'm Eddie and I'm from Joysey! Are you from Joysey? What Exit?" routine on saturday night live years ago.

It gets ignored that Joe was from NewYork and that NOBODY from NJ actually talks like that, but it's NORMAL
    for people from some parts of New York to talk that way...

N2TBI

3. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My subscription to TIME was cancelled the moment they announced their Man of the Year 2004 recently. I have no use nor respect for their editorial board.

But that's another thread....

Happy New Year!

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

4. EI2GN

EI2GN Guest

Farwarded to: letters@time.com

The many, many Amateur Radio operators around the world including those who give freely of their time and skills in emergency and disaster situations are anything but embarrassed by their wonderful hobby.

If you take the trouble to look, you will find that many radio amateurs are giving up much of their holiday time to see how they can help with the current situation in South East Asia. They also played a key role during
    the 9/11 disaster.

I will be happy to supply you with many more reasons why Radio Amateurs are very proud of their hobby and with their role in society, should you decide to take the trouble to contact me. If fact, I strongly suggest to you that you research this hobby and I suspect that you may find much to write about that will greatly interest you readers.

All the Best,
    John Ketch, EI2GN, Cork, Ireland.

5. W1NAU

W1NAU Banned QRZ Page

Sure dude like they really care about your $25. Your just a number to them. Im sure that they never even had time to read an e-mail from a little nobody like you. Go take a hike.

Have you ever been to a ham fest? Have you seen some of the people that go? How disgusting and stupid they look with the antennas on their hats and call sign badges. I mean come on get a life. Is it that hard to take a shower and maybe comb your hair. These people dress like Sh***. Take a little pride in how you look when you walk out the door. There is no need to have 3 foot tall antennas on your portable and to advertise your ARES affiliation. ARES and RACES is a total joke. There are a few good people and thats IT! If you really want to help in an emergency stay the hell out of the way. Did you ever hear the saying two's company three's a crowd? Its goes the same here. Who wants some goofy ham with a radio that can't even encode a DPL tone and if dropped it would shatter like a wine glass?

I don't know what it is about ham radio but it seems to attract quite a bit of riff raff. And to those people who complain about no code techs go sh** in a hat. All you did was study for a test and learn some morse code. You must be elite and important now. Don,t go looking up my call to see what license class I am either because I will tell you A NO CODE TECH thats right so deal with it.  [​IMG]

LONG LIVE HAMSEXY DOT COM!!!

6. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what I told them:

Be sure to tell Walter Cronkite and the late Jean Shepherd how embarrassing Amateur Radio is. I'd be more embarrassed to admit I subscribe to or--worse--write for Time, than admit I have an FCC assigned Amateur Radio call sign. While Amateur Radio volunteers are helping to re-establish communications in the wrecked communities bordering the Indian Ocean, the hacks at Time are, as they usually do, spouting misinformed, poorly researched nonsense!

Steve Stirling
    [Columbus, Oh]

7. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Tim

You sound about as bad as the people you're pointing your fingers at.

[​IMG]

8. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Most likely, this guy's knowledge of ham radio doesn't go any further than seeing the movie "Frequency", or the Simpson's episode where Marge's sister Patty was shown in a scene mocking the hobby ("yes, I have a ham radio too" coming out of the speaker of the set, with lots of static).  

These guys in Hollywood and the media all go to the same parties and are isolated in their own little universes.  Most of them barely know enough "electronics" to find the power switch to their PCs, yet they are always instant experts on all topics.

Time is a rag mag anyway and has been for some "time" now.  Their issue telling unemployed high tech workers to simply go "re-train" for a career at Walmart put them in the category of permanant fireplace fodder and rear-end wiper at my QTH.

9. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very important to respomd to this because of the negative impression it gives society regarding who radio amateurs are, and what they do. Each time we fail to respond we give enemies of the service new ammunition that they can -- and will -- use to force us off the air and grab our very valuable spectrum.

Heres the bottom line: We waste far to much of our time arguing petty internal gripes and way to little time hard selling ham radio to the world outside the hobby than we must to continue to survive. If we do not reverse the trend, then we will prove the comments in Time to be correct.

"Image is everything!"

We must project a positive and very utiliterian image to the world and keep our griping off the air!

de
    Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF

10. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

I already have....unless qrz qualifies as "doing it"?

11. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Greasy glasses, shirt pocket protectors, 300 pounders, cigarettes, skid marks, whats to be embarrased about?...opps I almost forgot....Morse is GOD!

12. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Post likes this make it tough to abide by QRZ rules.

JTY -- is your only purpose in life is to screw with people and see who you can piss off? Perhaps the Times needs a new staff troll.

13. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

E X C U S E  M E for not being a model prisoner. I gotta live in this world with the rest of yiz. Did it ever occur to you that I might feel I'm being "screwed with"?

14. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

A request for more model prisoners? Is griping on qrz OK?

15. KC5CPO

KC5CPO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AMEN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.