Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KC2NKL

KC2NKL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what that makes me? I am not only a Ham Operator, but I write for my own blog. I wonder if two out of the three move me up from "Faintly Embarrasing" to "Overly Embarrasing"

Oh the shame..

Bernard
    KC2NKL

2. W2WP

W2WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here was my e-mail to Time:

Do me a favor. Tell Lev Grossman next time he is real trouble, (like another 9/11 or some other emergency) and there are no cell phones, or any other types of communications available because they are dead, he can still call on a amateur radio operator! I'm sure we "embarrassed", licensed by the FCC, geeks, will still be there to help him in his time of need anyway.
    Funny TIME should do one of the annoying pop-ups on the online article looking for me to subscribe. I THINK NOT! I would not want to embarrass myself or your magazine for that matter. I guess I am not your type of subscriber.........................

73, (Figure it out for yourself!)
    Thank you very little for your "Time"
    Mark Laytos
    Amateur radio callsign, W2KRP

3. WB9GYT

WB9GYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope people writing Time magazine will mention the emergency relief work being done right now by Indian Ocean hams in the aftermath of the tsunami.

Rick WB9GYT
    Milwaukee, Wisc.

4. AB2KT

AB2KT Ham Member QRZ Page

My reply to TIME:

"Before this year, blogs were...faintly embarrassing...on the order of ham radio..."

Indeed. This year, blogs have passed from faint embarrassment into monumental self-importance. Something anyone with a modem and a bucketful of opinions can spurt off into the world.

Fortunately ham radio still requires a license, ensuring at least minimal technical competence and skill.

Frank
    AB2KT

5. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Embarrasing? I think that people who know nothing about a subject, and then write about, should keep their opinions to themselves. Look at all the people who volunteer, Red Cross, A.E.R.S, Salvation Army. The list is long. You mean to tell me, all of these people are embarrasing? EMBARRASING TO WHOM?
    The only thing EMBARRASING, IS THE IDIOT WHO WROTE THE ARTICLE. In my younger day's, I would have said ok, if he feels like that, When he needs help, to heck with him! But as HAM RADIO OPERATOR, NO, I WOULD PICK UP MY MICROPHONE AND CALL FOR HELP, OR TRY TO ASSIST HIM IN ANY WAY THAT I COULD, NO MATTER WHAT! That's what AMATEUR RADIO IS ALL ABOUT. Let me just say one thing more, I'm proud to be A HAM RADIO OPERATOR! In the 14 yrs. as a HAM, I've learned more about other cultures, I've made friends around the world, But more important, I've learned to respect others for who they are. If this is embarrasing, so be it! I'm in good company. LONG LIVE AMATEUR RADIO!

73 TO ALL

6. VA3WIN

VA3WIN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my e-mail response to the Times' Lev Grossman

Lev Grossman, what planet are you from? Have you done any research on amateur radio? Obviously have not.

Amateur radio has not only been a hobby since the early nineteen hundreds but the help that amateur radio operators have rendered without remuneration or, in most cases, without recognition regarding communications during catastrophes and/or simply local events is incalculable.

(1) Amateur Radio Operators are federally licensed and have a working knowledge of the technology regarding the equipment being used.
    (2) We are mandated to help with communications without payment when a need is obvious or to assist the authorities (when called upon) if a failure occurs in their communications system.
    (3) Under pain of monetary penalty or incarceration, we are prohibited to use foul or profane language in any of our communications.

The foregoing are only some of the salient points regarding Amateur Radio. Yes, of course, the hobby aspect is that of making contact with other stations whether they be around the corner or around the world at a base station or mobile. The hobby not only provides fellowship while talking to other amateur radio operators but there are contests whereby operators are encouraged to make as many contacts as possible with the allotted time of the contest period and awards or certificates are provided. This demonstrates the efficiency and capabilities of the operator.

The hobby has also provided many spin-off pieces of technology being used to great advantage world wide i.e. (a) Cellular telephone technology where the repeater tower idea is now used for continuous coverage. (b) E-mail; having been patterned on Packet Radio – a form of digital bursts or packets to be decoded by the receiving station as text.

Now, we – collectively should expect an apology or - - - at least an “I was wrong” from you.

J. R. Baldwin – VA3WIN     (proud to be an amateur radio operator)

Omemee, Ontario
    CANADA

7. AB0SD

AB0SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgive this comment from a young 5wpm pup. TIME is part of the same old media that tried to sink President Bush with forged memos. I believe the bloggers dubbed this "Memogate".

And how long does it take to get print media anyway? I find most newspapers useless, except for fire starter. Judicious use radio, both broadcast and ham, for information purposes is significantly more efficient. Hmm.

8. KV9Y

KV9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO, of course...
    I have been a ham for more than 20 years now and I am D&*M proud of that! I have handled emergency traffic, been a control operator for emergency WX nets and placed myself in harm's way just to use my "faintly embarrasing hobby" to help those that needed it.

There was a point in time when I was young, that I would let a comment like the one Mr. Grossman made, just pass by. After this long as a ham, it is just downright irritating. I support his right to comment as he wishes but TIME should have enough respect for the First Amendment to publish some of our letters in their magazine. Free Speech is only fair if all opinions are published at the same level, in the same venue.

Sure, there are those of us that don't smell so good, or always have well kempt hair, or just don't quite fit into general society. One can personally be embarrased by BO or poor grooming or bad grammer or spelling but not because they are hams!

Those of you who feel this hobby is "faintly embarrasing" should dig down deeply inside yourselves and evaluate why you are a member of this community. In general, if you find something within yourself as embarassing, then you need to change it.

Another ham here, posted several comments about our fair hobby from Howard Sterns and a comic (I forget who it was). Well, these are entertainment personalities, not seemingly respectable publications of world news. I remember watching an episode of Futurama where Bender (the robot) cuts off his antenna and states "...It's not like I'm a ham radio...' (or something like that...) I laughed out loud at that one! That's entertainment.

Well, there's my 2 cents' worth. I will now step off my soap-box. [​IMG]

73s
    Ken Linder - KC7RAD

9. WA7ITZ

WA7ITZ Ham Member QRZ Page

IF people have this opinion of us ... while it is misguided ..
    it may very well be understood... especially in times of
    emergencies where, in my humble opinion, we are consistently
    stunning in our inability or unwillingness to do what we should be able to do best.... Instead, we go around thumping our chest and ballyhooing about the good we THINK we are doing...

Here's an email I recently sent to an emergency official in the
    ham radio area... I think it illustrates what I mean...
    It is absolutely STUNNING how with great magnificence we absolutely refuse to learn our lessons from the past and just keep on our merry way, no matter how many examples or lessons keep coming up.

Watching the news, I see repeated statements about how people are unable to find out anything about friends and relatives in the area hit by the sunami... This points out once AGAIN how, if we would quit being so damned stubborn, MARS and other emergency networks could alleviate this problem, if they were put BACK into place again as they used to be. Sometimes the old ways are STILL the best. Progress is good ... but to throw out everything of the past in
    the name of progress is not progress ... it is pure stupidity...

Granted, this is mainly an overseas problem and there is likely little military involvement in the relief effort... BUT what is going to happen when the next disaster hits closer to home??
    I imagine the same thing. We seem to have learned NOTHING from all the hurricanes and tornadoes in the U.S. this year when it comes to traffic handling capabilities... especially Health and Welfare. We go around thumping ourselves on the chest with GREAT admiration
    about how we help out local government and police agencies.... and totally IGNORE the common
    citizen who would LOVE to be able to get a message outside the disaster area to friends and relatives to let them know that they are still alive and what they are doing.

I imagine what will happen next time is the same thing that is happening now. People all up and down the chain of both MARS and ham radio so-called "emergency networks" are saying..... and will continue to say... "oh, we have satellite phones." "Oh, we will use cell phones" ... "Oh, we will be able to use the internet".. and other crocks like that. Does anyone REALLY believe that if a disaster of similar
    nature happened closer to us that cell phones and the internet would STILL be usable? IF there are
    really any people who believe that ... PLEASE send them my way... I have some great lakeside land and a few bridges I would LOVE to sell them... cheap.

Now, if gateway stations were not sent to the scrap heap overseas ... if the government werent scrapping and shredding half the store of communications equipment .... if hams and MARS members actually knew HOW to originate messages and set up and control traffic nets.... and IF people up and down the chain would quit being so stubborn .... then we wouldnt be having these reports on the news of "people are having a VERY difficult time getting information" out of a disaster area....
    And, the ordinary person effected by a disaster just might see that someone cares about their emotional needs in a small way .....

SHEESH......

10. KC5CPO

KC5CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree with previous posts on this topic. Ham radio is embarrassing! Some of us think that just because we have a license to operate ham radios it somehow entitles us to participate in every car wreck and house fire we come across. We run around with our flashy lights on our cars, multiple antennas and goofy orange vests and demand to get in on the action. Most ham operators are overweight and desperately need a bath! No wonder we are seen as embarrassing. Folks this is a hobby! nothing more! So enjoy it as such.
    END OF RANT...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.