ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG4ZQZ

KG4ZQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

- it's yellow, isn't it?

2. N7WEJ

N7WEJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with everyone in the fact that HAM radio is needed and I am very proud to be a member of such a fine group of people who in the most part are professional and care about the future of HAM radio, but also I do have to agree that is is rather embarrassing when you tune to 14.272 or 14.275 and listen even for a few min. This kind of activity is embarrassing to the entire HAM community and a slap in the face of each and every Ham operator who really cares about the hobby when activity that is displayed by these operators are allowed to continue. I can understand why a person such as Lev Grossman would make such a comment. It appears to me we need to police ourselves and rid the HAM community of the few meaningless persons who are embarrassing all of the operators who truly do care and provide the needed assistance when called upon..

3. W1RKW

W1RKW Ham Member QRZ Page

The color of snow is ROYGBIV

4. K3WQ

K3WQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares what Time Magazine has to say?  It is now, and always has been, nothing more than an up-scale tabloid.  

As for the hobby being "embarrassing," that's OK with me.  There are lots of hobbies that are equally embarrassing.  For example:  basket collecting, square dancing and Hummel collecting.  But, just like hams, people who engage in these pastimes can provide a wealth of related, interesting facts and stories when asked.  I've received a few strange looks and comments when I've told people that I'm a ham radio operator.  I often get the question, "So is that just CB radio?"  When I explain, or better yet, show them the shack, they seem to think better of the hobby.  When I tell them that I like to operate CW, they're often amazed.  ("So you can really understand all those dots and dashes without writing much down?")  

-Dave, K3WQ

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do we so vehemently deny this perception?

It is, unfortunately, a common perception among non-hams. It's going to take a heck of a lot more than an (unpublished) letter in TIME to reverse it.

We are a fragmented group, with too much self-indulgency and activism tarnishing the public service and enhancing technology aspects.

Most people still see hams as Herman Munstster sitting behind a bunch of glow bugs with a Jacob's ladder buzzing away...

How are YOU using ham radio today to make wireless better? I'm working on a new HF antenna. Others are passing health and welfare messages to the WAVE calamity areas.

..and you're writing a huffy letter to TIME?

Think about it...

Chip N1IR

6. WA4DOU

WA4DOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I consider Time magazine to be in the same league as Dan Rather and CBS. Nothing they have to say is of any interest to me.

7. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

[just arrived in from "Gloria"]

Dear Reader:

Thank you for letting us hear from you. The editors appreciate the
    interest that prompted you to write, and they have made attentive note of
    your comments. We hope that you will continue to share your thoughts with
    us.

Best wishes.

TIME Letters

8. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

People write article's all the time without any knowledge
    of the subject. Time magazine uses its public appeal to its customers ,the same as Ham operators do among their peers.

9. OD5TX

OD5TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have emailed the following message to TIME and I think that it is very important we all voice our concern to them . 73 de OD5TX also AI4EO Michel

It appears to me that Mr. Grossman has made a comment about ham radio without understanding what it is all about.
    Ham Radio is an important hobby which is also very useful in times of emergency.It is also a backup communications network for many events.
    It is definitely important to point out to Mr. Grossman that ham radio operators played a very important role during the 9/11 attacks on NYC and Washington DC for handling emergency communications when the traditional phones ( land & cell ) network failed.
    Ham radio operators from all over the world are currently providing emergency communication in the aftermath of the earthquake in South East Asia.
    Similar public service has been provided during last Summer Florida hurricanes.
    It is not the first time that hams are not recognized for their efforts but it is surprising that a respectable magazine like yours publishes such commets.
    Mr. Grossman should apologize to the hams for his statement and should think twice before making similar statements.

Michel C. Homsi licensed as OD5TX in Lebanon and AI4EO in the USA

10. W6BJD

W6BJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Snow comes in three colors. White, yellow, and pink. Only eat the white snow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.