ad: Retevis-1

Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N6JSM

N6JSM Guest

[​IMG] Thank GAWD backwoods Bubba=Clinton isnt in office......he was/is the worst thing happened to the U.S.

2. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh oh... I hope Mr. Grossman doesn't find out that in addition to Amateur Radio and collecting stamps that I also play the banjo!......................

Doomed... yes, I'm doomed, how embarrasing.

Maybe I should take up playing Golf.

73 de Jeff

3. KC9CRM

KC9CRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,
       I sented a e-mail to the address showen and this is what it said,
    "Hello Sir,

My name is Jake Saverynski, age 15 and i live in Buffalo City, WI and MY FCC ISSUED CALLSIGN IS KC9CRM. You are disrespeting 670,000 US amateurs and 3 million amateurs world wide. To name a few of the "embarrassing" amateurs are Chet Atkins W4CGP, Ronnie Milsap WB4KCG, Patty Loveless KD4WUJ, Joe Walsh WB6ACU, and Sen. Barry Goldwater K7UGA and for many others visit  http://users.tellurian.com/gjurrens/famous_hams.html. Sir please do not call amateur radio embarrassing because we provide communications when others can't, including when your cell phone goes down. If we are so "embarrassing" then why are amatuers helping to provide communications in Thailand (after the big storm) why aren't you down there with your cell phone? So again don't knock something that you don't know a thing about. Thank you for your time sir and please feel free to e-mail me back but if you don't I know why.

73's
    Jake Saverynski KC9CRM"

4. AC8DX

AC8DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever been to a hamfest...   Oh yea...  the embarrassing ones must be CB'ers...  i forgot...  

The handwriting is on the wall people...

Long live radio...  ham or otherwise...

5. KF4VGV

KF4VGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good post.  You made some great points and there are many other well known operators throughout the world that enjoy our great hobby.  It is a shame that a columnist would write such an article with very little knowledge on the subject. [​IMG]

6. W4KHR

W4KHR Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Well, I'm a single guy (ok, divorced) and I figured out a long time ago that hamfests were not the place to find any single women. There must be something wrong with us geeks or our geeky hobby for there not to be hardly any interest amongst members of the fairer sex. So I guess I'm a little embarrased to mention my hobby in certain circles. Most people in general just don't get it. Oh well...

[​IMG]
    Kevin

7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll give him credit for knowing how to spell, even if you don't.

If by example, you represent the cream of the conservative crop, well.....

"Libral"?  Did you mean liberal?

"Pysdo"?  Did you mean pseudo?

And they don't read enough?  Most liberals, I dare say, are more attuned to what is going on than folks who tend to be 'close-minded' and 'pre-conceived'.  There's nothing wrong with being concerned about over zealous, wasteful spending (conservatism).

The crowd that tends to call themselves conservatives who sport shaved heads (by choice, as opposed to nature) rarely have anything to do with abhorring spending and usually everything to do with sectarian bigotry.

Grossman just expressed his opinion colloquially.  Too bad, sometimes free speech hurts.  The best response was/is to tell him who some of the more noteable members of our fraternity are or have been.  And, that's already been done by some on this thread.

Lee
    W6EM
    Bradenton, FL.

8. KD7KBR

KD7KBR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it must be more embarrasing to be shouting your
    miss-spellings to the forum.

What does that say for you and your party?

Gregory
    KD7KBR

9. KB9REE

KB9REE Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have sent an email to Time. But before including what I said to them I want to comment on the lack of ladies in the hobby. I think the technical aspect and having to study for a license turn them off. Most of the ladies in the hobby which I know got in for the same reason my wife did, that is to keep in touch with the spouse in case of emergency. Even if I am not on the air one of the guys may know where I am and how I can be got hold of. Cell phones are not always the best way to get in touch.
    Terry Powell, KB9REE

10. KB9REE

KB9REE Ham Member QRZ Page

Oooops, I forgot to include my email to TIME. Here it is:
    I suppose that the editorial board must think it is OK to insult minority groups just so long as they are not the protected groups we have all had stuffed down our throats. Just remember, you don't have to like us but you do have to accept our place in society. There is no place for "Ham Bashing" in your pages or should not be. As a ham radio operator, I am extremely proud of my accomplishment. There are not very many hobbies which require a license from the Federal Government. I think you should think a long time about that.
    Now for the real punch. I dare you folks at time to study for and take the test for an amateur radio operators license. Get in touch with the reality before you belittle us!
    Russell Terry Powell, KB9REE and proud of it!

11. KC2NKL

KC2NKL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what that makes me? I am not only a Ham Operator, but I write for my own blog. I wonder if two out of the three move me up from "Faintly Embarrasing" to "Overly Embarrasing"

Oh the shame..

Bernard
    KC2NKL

12. W2WP

W2WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here was my e-mail to Time:

Do me a favor. Tell Lev Grossman next time he is real trouble, (like another 9/11 or some other emergency) and there are no cell phones, or any other types of communications available because they are dead, he can still call on a amateur radio operator! I'm sure we "embarrassed", licensed by the FCC, geeks, will still be there to help him in his time of need anyway.
    Funny TIME should do one of the annoying pop-ups on the online article looking for me to subscribe. I THINK NOT! I would not want to embarrass myself or your magazine for that matter. I guess I am not your type of subscriber.........................

73, (Figure it out for yourself!)
    Thank you very little for your "Time"
    Mark Laytos
    Amateur radio callsign, W2KRP

13. WB9GYT

WB9GYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope people writing Time magazine will mention the emergency relief work being done right now by Indian Ocean hams in the aftermath of the tsunami.

Rick WB9GYT
    Milwaukee, Wisc.

14. AB2KT

AB2KT Ham Member QRZ Page

My reply to TIME:

"Before this year, blogs were...faintly embarrassing...on the order of ham radio..."

Indeed. This year, blogs have passed from faint embarrassment into monumental self-importance. Something anyone with a modem and a bucketful of opinions can spurt off into the world.

Fortunately ham radio still requires a license, ensuring at least minimal technical competence and skill.

Frank
    AB2KT

15. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Embarrasing? I think that people who know nothing about a subject, and then write about, should keep their opinions to themselves. Look at all the people who volunteer, Red Cross, A.E.R.S, Salvation Army. The list is long. You mean to tell me, all of these people are embarrasing? EMBARRASING TO WHOM?
    The only thing EMBARRASING, IS THE IDIOT WHO WROTE THE ARTICLE. In my younger day's, I would have said ok, if he feels like that, When he needs help, to heck with him! But as HAM RADIO OPERATOR, NO, I WOULD PICK UP MY MICROPHONE AND CALL FOR HELP, OR TRY TO ASSIST HIM IN ANY WAY THAT I COULD, NO MATTER WHAT! That's what AMATEUR RADIO IS ALL ABOUT. Let me just say one thing more, I'm proud to be A HAM RADIO OPERATOR! In the 14 yrs. as a HAM, I've learned more about other cultures, I've made friends around the world, But more important, I've learned to respect others for who they are. If this is embarrasing, so be it! I'm in good company. LONG LIVE AMATEUR RADIO!

73 TO ALL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.