Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KG7VG

KG7VG Ham Member QRZ Page

Most likely, the author is not a ham and has no idea what the heck he's talking about. Hams are generally cut from different stock by weight of comparison with the rest of the world, but I for one am far from embarrased at my choice of hobby. Hams have to work VERY hard to get licensed and those who were licensed early on had to work even harder than those of us who are fairly new. Why would we want to work so hard for an (even slightly) embarassing hobby??

We'll see how "embarassing" ham radio is when everyone else calls on us to provide communications in an emergency!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

KD7ALF

2. AD6G

AD6G Ham Member QRZ Page

I rate the offending quote merely "faintly embarrassing".

You think you're put out? Picture Grossman getting up one morning to find his BMW windshield completely plastered with stamps... You don't wanna get those guys mad at ya!

[​IMG]

3. KF4NI

KF4NI Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently Mr. Grossman has not had any knowledge of Ham Radio and the operators who enjoy using it. Ham Radio is a hobby and it has many facets. If he was ever in a situation where he needed the services of ham radio he would retract his assumption of it being a 'blog'!!!
    Ham radio is a great hobby. It also serves as a backup communications for many other services when needed. Hams are the first to help in a crisis and the last to get any recognition for their effort.
    Before he makes such a statement he should get the facts.
    yes. we do have fun and talk all over the world but we do it in the spirit of friendship and understanding. Not hate and discontent.
    Also, the technical side is a benefit to the world as the experiments with antennas and radio also helped put communication in space and the ISS uses it as backup. If it is good enough for NASA and the US Government to use Ham Radio then Mr. Grossman should at least apologize to the hams for his ignorance.

Ruby Byrd KF4NI
    Ham Radio Operator and proud of it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll never read their magazine again.. Be it a store bought copy or one in a Doctors office... In fact as I see them lying around they will become so much fire place fodder.

73 Jerry N9LYA

5. W7DME

W7DME Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that KC7RAD was speaking for himself. That is why the comment had his call sign on it.

But, as and adult with at least average intelligence, when I do embarrassing things, I try not to repeat them. If being a ham is embarrassing to you, then I suggest you stop doing it. To continue embarrassing yourself is a sign of lower than usual entelligence. Perhaps, we have finally set our standards to qualify for this hobby too low!

Mike - K7OV

6. OH7DI

OH7DI Ham Member QRZ Page

Grrrr...I didn't notice that comment on the paper version of the TIME european edition I got today, but after this I'm going to give a second thought, which foreign magazine I'm subscribing next year.

At least their timing is perfect, considering what is happening right now at Indian Ocean.

Haven't there been lively ham community in this country, Nokia would be still making rubberboots and toiletpaper. Not to mention the pool of skilled radio operators for communications and signal intelligence during WWII. With all respect to our russian friends, the nation would have been digging ditches in UA0 at least til' uncle Joe kicked the bucket.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most hams that I know don't overtly advertise their hobby. I guess most figure that the antennas speak for themselves. Perhaps Mr. Grossman interprets this as 'embarrassment'.

Geek - and proud of it!

8. K0IZ

K0IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the text of my email to Time magazine.

I am offended by Lev Grossman's characterization of ham radio as a "faintly embarrassing hobby" in his Blog of the Year.  

Ham Radio operators, of which I have been one for 47 years, are currently providing emergency communication in the aftermath of the earthquake.  Similar public service has been provided in many other situations, including the recent Florida hurricanes.  Our systems include thousands of repeaters throughout the US, interfaces with the Internet, slow-scan TV, data communications, microwave systems, our own earth-orbit satellites, and more.

Ham Radio provides opportunities for young people to enter into the electronics world (at age of 13 I became a ham, and my experiences led me to a subsequent engineering degree).

Ham Radio bridges the gap between countries and peoples - Over 3/4 Million in the US, and many, many others overseas.  I myself have communicated with well over 1300 hams in 172 countries in just the last 18 months.

Mr. Grossman's attempt at cleverness was not appreciated.

9. KC0LJB

KC0LJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Faintly embarrasing, eh?

Well, this is an age when it appears to be the prevalent value to get yours first and forget anyone else. I suppose a bunch of 'social misfits' who willingly turn out in bad weather and during disasters to help the less fortunate and who have no expectation of gain as a result probably ARE faintly embarrasing. It's just too bad we haven't embarrased more people into imitating us, isn't it?

kc0ljb

"What do you mean? A barbed wire fence tunes up just fine!"

10. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet another clown making statements about which he knows little or nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.