ad: MLSons-1

FINALLY!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KC8FCW, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course you are kidding.....

2. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

Hey everyone!  There's another code/nocode thread, just started in the "NEWS" section.  I think that is lucky number 13.

Don't miss out ... skip on over there and be one of the first to post your vile hatred about your side of the argument!

What?  You need a link?  Hold on ... back in a minute ...

EDIT:  Here ya go:

Slap around a fellow amateur in a brand new thread!

Enjoy!

3. KC0WCM

KC0WCM Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact of the matter is if you wanted general privliges bad enuff you would have learned the code, 5WPM is realy slow. So what if its a mode you will never use Its Part of the right of passage into the prestiegue of ham radio. If the requirement was still 20wpm I would have spent more time and learned it at that speed. I look up to the people that learnd and passed the code at 20wpm. In my opinion Tech's That think the deserve HF without passing the code requirement Is a reflection as to how this world is being run. Something for Nothing Is the name of the game now adays. I'm 24 and passed the code in mid 2006 4 months after geting my Tech licence. Im proud to say I've learned the code and Took the test to show that I've learned it. I grew up with nothing HANDED to me I had to EARN what I got and feel very strong about that.
    It seems to me that every generation is getting more lax on the next. Letting more and more slide, When is enuff enuff! Im sorry If I pissed anyone off but Life needs to be hard so you can look back after something was HARD and say wow I did that I set a goal and acheved my goal and I didnt wait for someone to do it for me. Its realy not the FCC's fault, IT's the ones who didn't want to try hard enuff to meet the requirement. The FCC just gave in. And I understand there are some that have a harder time with code then others But there are Way's to get help with it. I'm mainly talking about the ones who don't think they should pass a test for a mode they will never use. It's imature and selfish! For those who've  done it Congratulations!  For the others that dont want to Good luck on the bands. Long Live Code!

4. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

The older generation has been saying this for thousands of years.

It's just the fear of change talking. It's the sign that you have gotten old and have lost control to those who are innovating. Don't worry, it's going to happen to us eventually as well. It's natural.

Turn off that darn loud music!

The kids are all right. They always are. Hopefully we don't screw things up ourselves so bad that we have nothing to hand them when their time comes.

5. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

He meant the 5 wpm code test.
    How should I feel about your only passing a 5 wpm test?  Should I look down on you sir?  My code test for my extra ticket was 20 wpm, passed on October 10, 1993.

Please elaborate for me on that when you have a minute.

6. W0UZR

THERE !!!

THAT's the kind of people we need in the ranks of Amateur Radio. I would be More than proud to talk to you on the air !!

7. W0UZR

He already did. Evidently you didn't read all of his post.

8. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually several people are already talking about reducing the test to regulations and safety.

Others are talking about reducing it to one class of license, with an easy test.

Don't worry, more dumbing down is coming, and we'll see people who cried for the removal of the code cry that the written test shouldn't be dumbed down.

9. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

That he did.  I have no problem admitting the oversight.  I'm just really tired of the bickering and name calling.

The point I was trying to get across is that it's wrong to take it out on the new folks joining the hobby.  They will pass the test put in front of them.

I worked hard for my extra too.  It took 13 months, but I don't see it as anything to brag about.  It's my own, personal accomplishment.  Not all will be interested in investing that much time and effort, and that's not a bad thing.

The ones who sat on their duff and waited for years for this to happen won't be satisfied.  They will find something else to whine about.  Also, they will stand out in the crowd.

You just can't paint so many with that broad brush.  Some technicians are happy with their license.  My wife is one of them.  She has no plans whatsoever to upgrade.

I predict that yes, there will be plenty of fools coming to hf.  Some already have ... there are reports of technician class operators already on the hf bands.  I know without a doubt that we will get some good operators too, who will follow the rules.

We have plenty of fools on the air now.  We'll have a lot more soon.  They won't last long.  A flash in the pan.  And in the end, we'll simply have more operators on hf.  What disturbs me is the disregard for the regulations being shown by those who don't have the self-discipline to wait another stinkin' 30 days or so.  That reeks of the citizens band of old ... total disregard for the rules.

Let's lay off the bashing until we see what we will get.  I'm sure that there will be an abundance of "bad guy" reports in March, some legitimate, some probably not.

My personal opinion?  I don't think it will do amateur radio one bit of good in the long run.  It will do some damage, but I think it will be minimal.

FWIW.

10. KC0WCM

Well If you would have read all of my post you would have read that I said Yes I do have deep respect for the guys that have done the 20wpm . And I also use CW very often on 10meter almost everyday. I like the code you shouldn't look down on me for only passing the 5wpm if the requirement was 20 i would pass the 20 what I said was that the tech's that dont think they should pass a 5wpm test and get the HF handed to them are being selfish. in other words EARN it, memorizing the questions  and answers doesnt contest giving HF priviliges theres no guessing the code you have to hear it and answer the questions. its one of the only good buffers that ham radio has.
    And I dont clame to know everything about electronics how ever im willing to learn and i cant do 30 wpm on code but im willing to practice  bottom line is droping the test all together was a bad idea.

11. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

'WCM, I don't look down on you for any reason. You passed the testing requirement of the day, and that's what our new hams will do. We can hardly beat them up for that.

I'm also against the removal of code testing, but there's nothing more that can be done, and I'm not going to take it out on all future amateurs. I have little use for those who waited. They're easy to identify, they are typically the ones doing the most gloating.

I too like cw. It's my primary mode. Perhaps we'll meet on the air soon. I'm sure I would enjoy the QSO.

I'm just pretty well fed up watching amateurs beat up on each other here over something that is not likely to ever change again.

No harm was intended by my post, just trying to find an end to the madness. I hope I didn't offend you.

Take Care and Best 73,
    Luke

12. KC0WCM

No you didnt offend me. I would enjoy a qso with you anytime IM not trying to beat everyone else down i realize there is a slow growth in Ham radio and it needs a boost droping the code isnt a good salution to the problem tho.

Every post ive ever put up someone has cut it down and they are the ones whom i dont enjoy talking to.

There has got to be a way to apeal the R&O in due time and when the patition comes Ill be first in line to sign it.

13. W5CMP

W5CMP Guest

IT'S JUST A HOBBY

14. W5CMP

W5CMP Guest

IT'S JUST A HOBBY

15. W5CMP

W5CMP Guest

IT'S JUST A HOBBY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.