FINALLY!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by KC8FCW, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC8FCW

KC8FCW Ham Member QRZ Page

The R&O made it in the Federal Register this morning

Effective Feb 23, 2007  No More Code Test!!

Now can we put it to rest and work for the advancement
    of our great hobby?  [​IMG]

2. n1ydx

n1ydx Ham Member QRZ Page

Pffffft - Troll

N1YDX - Lee

3. W5IEI

W5IEI Guest

Yes!!!
    Seeing how those of us who passed code tests did such a crappy job before you came along.

Hooray we are saved!!!!

4. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

WONDERFULL !!!

Which cereal box will be having the licenses in?

<span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>edited to put the be after the will and before the having</span>

5. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member QRZ Page

W0URZ, look out the window, the sky is still up there.

6. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

While I think this is a good thing there has been damage that has been done. I hope I am wrong but this is what I feel. I'm sure there is going to many who will call me a troll or fishing but this from my heart.

What has passed for &quot;knowledge&quot; in the ARS has been merely the ability to decode CW. Instead of focusing on anything actually related to radio knowledge the service has been fixated on one thing. The ability to decode morse -not even the ability to SEND it -just decode it. Real knowledge was not important or tested very deeply.

Yeah, the code is hard -especially for many people who don't have a good ear for it. No doubt about that. It acted as a barrier to many, many qualified radio experimenters and knowledgeable electronics experts. The fall-off in the number of bleeding-edge technological advances in radio being spear-headed by hams has been very evident of late. The new frontiers are being expanded by non-hams now. Technological knowledge wasn't valued by the community -only CW was.

The theory and principles of radio -propagation as well as electronics is not comprehensively tested by even element 4. The tests are way too easy. What has passed for a &quot;knowledge&quot; test is the ability to hear code and all other radio knowledge was not a key focus. Get the code test behind you and the other tests are just eye-candy. The only important thing was the code.

What do we have now? A gutted mulitiple-choice test that is so easy that we have Advanced amateurs that can't even figure out how to design a simple audio circuit.

Can we turn this around? maybe. But what I see is an intitial surge of techs who wish to upgrade now that the code is no longer holding them back. They probably will have no trouble with the general test -not many will. An hour or so studying and anyone can pass Element 3. A couple more and element 4 is behind them. But after those people have upgraded I have a bad feeling that the number of new hams will not continue to be any higher than it is now. The long, slow decline will go on.

There is a general disdain for ham radio. The general public thinks we are geeks and doesn't understand the allure of radio. For so long the ARS has turned away anyone who didn't have an ear for CW. Lots of people think that ham radio is only for hopeless geeks and as our numbers have shrunken in proportion to the general public so much that we have dropped out of view.

Whatever cool factor we had amongst the technical set has been lost when the ARS went for code knowledge as the defining aspect of the hobby over real technical knowledge. I fear the damage has already been done and I really don't know what can be done to overcome the past 20-30 years of going down the dead end of only pursuing &quot;knowledge&quot; that was not, in itself, technical in nature.. If the code would have been totally eliminated as an entrance to the hobby back in 1975 maybe we wouldn't be in the pickle we are now. Now, I think it is too little too late. But only time will tell.

Flame on. Your mileage may vary but in the end I think 'future history' will bear me out.

7. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this thread was about somebody FINALLY getting DXCC #100, or FINALLY working the VU7 station, or some such Personal Achievement .

Bummer.

8. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

You guy got what you want.

&quot;Getting Rid Of The Barrier&quot;

And dumbing down the Service. Now you don't have to Apply yourselves, don't have to study and put in any effort to get an upgrade.

So just upgrade and shut up with this stuff on here !!

9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fixed your post.

10. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally worked the VU7 station on 17m this past Monday.

Does that count? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.