ad: LZQSLprint-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - the FCC has issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to eliminate morse code from all amateur licensing requirements. The proposal states that:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

The full 29 page text of the proposal may be downloaded (286K, .pdf) HERE

2. N6AAI

N6AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be a sad day when the change takes effect. [​IMG]

3. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

Its about time.
    At least they're keeping the written testing requirements.

Its a good day when it comes.

4. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

We are one step closer to CB
    Oh goody, now we have three threads about the same subject.

5. KI4GKW

KI4GKW Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinoin, not everyone needs to know CW, it's a good mode don't get me wrong, but people like myself like hearing voices and not beeps. I think it would be a good idea to keep code, as a extra requirement, not as a requirement to make it on HF. That's my one and a half cents worth.

Paul
    KI4GKW

6. N3ZQT

N3ZQT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you should have to know CW to have access to HF.  

7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Since one of the purposes of the service is to "promote international good will", they can now substitute a fluency requirement in a foreign language.

Or, perhaps a requirement to be able to keyboard text at a speed of at least 20 WPM.  Perkins Brailers an acceptable alternative.

And, we will pay dearly for the priviledge.

Notice the language about utilizing the afforded spectrum more efficiently.  CW is a very narrow bandwidth mode.  Weird.  Just plain weird.  But, I think I detect a preference for bandwidth-segregated spectrum...

Lee
    W6EM

8. WD5KCA

WD5KCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree completely with the proposal.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I already put my .02 in. I still think they should keep it. if nothing else gets through,then the cw will.personally i think it is (expletive deleted). "AND THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT."[​IMG]

10. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

...and now may the rants and flames begin!

11. K0WA

K0WA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a sad day. I love CW but I understand that we have to make room for others. I just hope that ham radio does not degernate into CB type radio. I also hope that the ARRL still will promote CW and give encouragement to those people who want to excel at such a tried and true communication mode. I would like to see ARRL tests that show the competency of a ham who wants to excel at Morse Code. Although the FCC will eliminate the CW requirement, I think that CW still remains popular with many operators and groups like FIST and the ARRL need to encourage those who want to excel at Morse Code. Rats!
    [​IMG]

12. W5MJL

I'm convinced there is no basis and purpose of amateur radio anymore. Amateur internet, yes, radio no. I don't believe there is a person alive that can accurately define amateur radio.

13. N4WGN

N4WGN Ham Member QRZ Page

As a nct i am glad that this looks like its all coming to an end. I also dont see a need to have a test for code, but i also understand that alot of you need code. I feel that as long as there are people who use it, code will allways be there. This isnt the end of code or the end of ham radio. Its doing what you want out of ham radio.

I was wondering as i didnt see it. What about moving all nct up to the next class.

14. W5MJL

The gimme crowd got the code removed. They did not get moved up in class too. You have to take a test.

15. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You sound like the Chipster, N1IR.

Do you think the FCC *might* want some of our spectrum for unlicensed technology?  To relegate our service to beneath an unlicensed Part 15 noisemaker promoted by big bucks?

Digital RF will probably be the only emissions permitted from some point forward in the not too distant future.  Reason:  Simple.  More efficient use of a limited resource:  The electromagnetic spectrum.

Its more important for the public to be able to keyboard at Starbucks than provide a dependable, fail safe service that benefits mankind internationally during all sorts of unplanned catastrophies.

Sadly, the more sophisticated and cryptic the mode of communication becomes, the less flexible and universally effective it will become.  Kinda like a packeteer trying to connect to a non-existent node......

Lee
    W6EM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.