ad: UR5CDX-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

I'm not quite an old timer yet, so I didn't say that.  But I will add that I would just as soon drive my truck over all of my gear first.

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be so sure, Fred.  If that's what they were after, if you think HF is sparsely populated, its fully loaded when contrasted to 33cM and above.

One of the reasons why many of us have been trying hard to spur interest in the 33cM band.

There's literally hundreds of MHz of very sparsely used allocations that could be absconded above 70cM.

I'm afraid spectrum efficiency was a poor choice of words.  But, somewhat revealing of their intent.  I suspect they really meant an intent to shrink the CW-reserved portions to permit more space for phone and wider-bandwidth modes.  Ala ARRL BoD.

Hardly efficiency, by any definition. Kinda like saying "push the Dodge Neon out of the way, so the Cadillac Es-ca-lah-de can fill up."

Lee
    W6EM

3. KI4HEE

KI4HEE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've passed the General written test, and am trying to learn the code. Even if this proposal passes I'd still be trying to learn, it's a accomplishment I'd be proud to attain.  Morse Code may no longer be as vital as it once was, but it is a method that can always allow the process of communication to be achieved. It soon may no longer be called upon to be a "requirement" for Amateur Service, but in no way will its ability be diminished.

Like in Golf, while you can play the game without a full set of clubs, your game may be diminished. Without Morse Code, you may still be able to communicate in most cases, there may always be the occasion when that particular "club" may be sorely missed.  

I don't think the full aspect of Amateur Radio can ever be achieved without Morse Code. It's a facet of the art of Communication. And while I don't think it needs to be a requirement for upgrade, I'm certainly not going to toss it on the bonfire of "modernization".

You can flame me for being a "neophyte, wet-behind-the ears-johnny-come-lately-NCT", but I'll always have infinitely more respect for anyone who can "Ditty-Bop" than those who cannot. To me they are the real Amateur Radio Operators.

4. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

My mistake I just looked up your license and gave you the benefit of the doubt. That would make you an 11.5 year technician.

5. AE4TM

AE4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lee, Chip hasn't even responded to the forum yet. We plan to contact one another behind the scenes since we have a common interest in astronomy.

That aside, I'm very concerned as you about the quality of training in certain areas of amateur radio training today. I'm also concerned about the continuing drop in hams in the ham bands as well. Unless we increase membership in the amateur radio community we will lose frequencies forever - PERIOD. When was the last time you worked a station on HF radio, be honest.

Lee, does this mean you're anti-pactor? That's a digital mode. Are you aware that pactor allows a link between the internet and HF radio? Before you comment, I am now assisting the US at improving GPS accuracy and my efforts do require the existence of digital pactor for now.

Ed AE4TM
    http://ecjones.org/

6. ZL1BYZ

ZL1BYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps a better word than extra requirement would be alternative.

So us farm boys & drain layers can have some of the activity too.

But I guess us less valuable folks are probably not the type they want because we arn't able to advance radio comunication.

I sure as hell arn't going to invent some new mode. The best I can hope to do is help spread understanding and good will amongst people of different countries, cultures, languages, etc. In todays world I think we need a bit of that.

Funny I still find CW a good way to do that.

Peace everyone.

John.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks,

We've all known for years that this would come.

I think it is incredibly important to understand the rational the FCC used: the emphasis is in TRAINING the radio savvy newcomers. The FCC had some time to carefully consider this and did not act hastily like they did in many other countries.

The FCC understands that we are losing a generation of future competence in the radio art--unless we attract that generation. Good for them!

I actually enjoy CW, and note that removing it as a requirement for a license is NOT the same as banning it as a mode. You should realize this too.

Chip N1IR

8. K1MVP

K1MVP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree "the times are a changing"--but not for the
    "better",--Ham radio is just continuing its "downhill
    slide" to CB, and I`ll wager it will be(CB)in a few more
    years.
    Enclosed when you purchase your "new wizbang"
    tranciever will be a "permit" application, to mail
    to the FCC for a nominal fee of course,--just sign
    and date it, no test required, and away ya go.
    Ahh, progress,-- no strain, no pain,--it`s great.
                             73`s, K1MVP

P.S., Am sure glad I got into HR back when a license
           still meant something, cause it sure does not
           nowadays.

9. W0PEA

W0PEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Time will tell if it stops the falling number of new licenses.  If it does, it will be shown to be the correct choice.   [​IMG]

10. N3VZ

N3VZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at it this way, get rid of Morse Code, what comes next??? You Guessed it, Ham Radio. The tests are already so dumbed down, eliminating Morse Code is really pathetic. This hobby is really getting sad.

Rest In Peace Samuel Morse.

11. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup I'm an 11.5 year Tech. And if I was a 20+ year ham and or a newly licensed tech it still doesn't negate the fact that no one wants to talk about or argue. And I would love to hear anyone argue with me over this.

Quote from ARRL http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/06/14/2/?nc=1
    [His "problem children," Hollingsworth said, by and large continue to be Advanced and Extra class licensees, not Technicians.]

Serious question, all flames aside. If the no code techs are such a horrible thing for ham radio and are sending it down hill then why are the majority of enforcement actions going to the Advanced and Extra’s.

I would really like to hear some SERIOUS answers to my question.

12. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

KC5FOG,
    Well I hope I can answer your question.
    Possibly they did not cover this on your entry level test,but VHF propagation except in very unusual conditions is only heard from the horizon to horizon under ideal conditions,generally only a few miles with out the assisit of a repeater. So if you had 10,000 NCT's all violating the the rules they would be heard only by each other not the rest of the world.

On the other hand on HF with only a few miliwatts a station can be heard all around the world. A station running milliwatts can copy his own signal delayed by the time it takes to encircle the globe. So when a poorly run HF station screws up it is heard all over the world. Why should they be required to copy CW, because 85 % of the countries in the world require their Amateur Operators to copy CW,so there is a good possibilty in an emergency it might be required to save a life.
    There are other reasons also but the most important reason is that it is required by the Part 97 rules and regulations,and untril they are changed you must be able to copy CW at a minimum of 5 WPM and pass the general test before you can operate on the HF frequencies.
    Not too long ago, to have a Technican ticket you had to pass the General class written as well as copy 5 WPM,and the General Class test then was not the cake walk it is now, so todays Amateurs are getting off pretty easy.Besides by the time one has the ability to recognize all the letters and numbers and punctuation your speed will be faster than 5 WPM anyway.It is difficult to copy 5 WPM because it is so slow your mind has trouble not wandering off onto other things.

I would not worry about how the Advanced and Extras are operating,your worry now is to move up the chain from where you are not from where they are.Once you have your Extra Class then you can set the example of how an extra should operate.
    Lots of luck on your upgrade.....73,   ORV

13. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now ALL hams will be Extra Class. In two years look at the numbers. There will be very few Techs and Generals. Why start at the bottom when you can memorize the answers and start at the top.

Have fun with the mess. And if you don't think it's going to be a mess, think again. I know technicians who have no clue as to what bandwidth is. I know technicians who use CB amplifiers on 2m. I know technicians who have now idea that there is a band plan. I am not lying about this.

I know there are many technicians who are very good ops, and they know the rules and understand whats going on when they key that PTT. BUT, if I know people who don't within my hearing range, just imagine how many there are across the country. They are ALL going to be released, whether they know what they are doing or not.

I know you're thinking I keep saying technician, but the general is the same amount of questions to memorize. And that gets back to my "ALL will be extra class theory".

Learning CW made me prove to myself that I was serious about ham radio. I learned it only beacause I had to. Now I operate CW most of the time I am in the shack.

I feel sorry for the individuals like me, because now that they don't have to learn it, they will never know if they really like it. I hated it before I was made to learn it.

I'm just going to sit back and listen, while I'm getting that rare DX on 6m using the only mode that will get through.

That's my 2 cents. No comments needed, most will be ignored.

Dave

14. KI4KFW

KI4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

They are not saying you have too stop using CW. They are saying you will not have too take it as a test requirment too advance in license.

As far as becoming CB..Has not happened in the rest of the world yet. And try 75m sometime if you want too hear what sounds like CB.

Bruce KI4KFW

AA5BK likes this.
  15. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

A tough call either way...personally I'm a 20 wpm extra, and picked up a 2nd Radiotelegraph for fun, but find voice much more enjoyable.  From what little listening I've done, there doesn't seem to be all that much code used on 20 these days.  If retiring CW as a requirement helps bring the numbers up then it would help the hobby. (I know, quantity over quality, but which of these two are politicans and bureaucrats more likely to look at?)  The ARRL could keep the speed tests, FISTS and other groups would continue, and so CW wouldn't die.  As it is, I doubt that a 5 wpm exam (and no novice license) does much to bring people into the subband.  So regretfully I guess maybe it's that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.