ad: Radclub22-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7FN

AF7FN QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have not been on the air in about 20 years and now would not take a rig as a gift. I hated the innane ops on 2 Meter FM back then, and probably would now. This was the result of the influx of ex-cbers. Growth at any cost, feh!

What kind a pool of trained radio operators will this elimination of code produce. This is  NOT WW-2 when a ham license was a path to a technical career. Got a ham license these days, so what!

I can remember a time (yes, I am that old) when a vast number of hams built their own rigs, and not just a few items, the whole station.

Is code important in today's digital and computer supported ham radio environment? Probably not. But neither is the ability to drive a car with a stick shift, until the need presents itself in an emergency.When all else fails, code will get through. Amateur Radio is also supposed to function as a "emergency service." Think about that.

What is the big deal anyway about FIVE WPM, I remember 13 and 20 WPM, and the ever-present "plateau" at 10 WPM that felled many a would-be general. If it is that easy to get, it is probably worth nothing! [​IMG]

2. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think allot of that falls on the issue of poor or non existent elmering. If allot of the old timers would make an attempt to offer classes and mentor these future HF operators and offer to help them set up their station ETC then the problem of a poorly operated station wouldn't be a issue. But good elemering has going away and it’s because class warfare. Heck look when they dropped it all to 5 wpm. When all the new generals and extras got on the air they were called Extra lites or jammed (dit bombed as I remember it called)

So instead of the older hams throwing a fit and fighting this I think they should try to Elmer the future HF hams and help them set up their stations. And you issue of the poor operators wouldn’t be a concern.

3. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ignorance is bliss.
    No-codes have 6 meter and sats.
    Better than HF.

4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It has not even started yet........Just wait.

Since the FCC is the governing body of amateur radio, they will do whatever they want to do. The people be damned.

Truly a sad day for ham radio. THE GIMMIE, GIMMIE PEOPLE FINALLY GOT WHAT THEY WANTED!!!

Long live CW,

Tom kcØw

5. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure if that is a joke or not as there is no such thing as a "CB amplifier", at least not legally.

CB operators have been known to use Amateur HF amplifiers on their radios to boost the power beyond legal limits.  Until recently all commercial HF amplifiers were to have filters installed to prevent their use on CB frequencies.  The filters are no longer required, probably since they were not effective.  Instructions for removal of the filters were available to people that showed they held an Amateur license since the removal of the filters was often required to use those amplifiers on 10 and 12 meters.  If a ham can remove the filter then a knowledgeable CB user could do so as well.

6. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do all the whiners mention cb anyway?
    They must listen to it a lot.

7. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, Dang it, I have to agree with Charlie (just once, and it hurts). <g> [​IMG]

Upgrading still requires demonstrated knowledge (albeit one heck of a lot less than I had to have to pass the Technician in 1962, or the General and Advanced later.) Even that small matter will be difficult for some.

At the end of the day, why should demonstrating proficiency in a "dead language" be a "gate" to HF? After I passed my 13 WPM, I think I made about 5 contacts on CW - and all on a straight key. Now, I think I would be hard pressed to copy 5 WPM solidly.

The international maritime services have abandoned CW because of the special skills needed -- and the relatively slow throughput. If only one person is physically capable of sending SOS, that person might not be the CW operator. Of course, if you want to QSO on VLF, you need CW -- but with 30 second "dits", only a computer or an electro-mechanical device can copy it.

I would much rather see the "gate" to HF be a test that demonstrated a stronger grasp of electronic theory, propogation, and application of practical theory. (I wonder how many could draw a Colpitts and/or Hartley oscillator from memory, as we had to do.)

Yes, CW is a low bandwidth mode that can get through when (almost) nothing else can. It can also be copied with a computer as well as it can by a human (in some cases, better - as the slow-speed example shows). No, CW is not a "better" mode than anything else. It is just another mode to use.

And, BTW, CW is a DIGITAL mode - even when hand sent and head received. (Look up the definition of digital.) A CW character is made up of "ones" (key down times) and "zeros" (key up times). Essentially, one "one bit" is a "dit", and three sequential "one bits" are a "dah". The number of "zero bits" in sequence determines whether it/they represent(s) separation between "one bits" of a character, separation between characters, or separation between words. This describes a variable length character code that is represented by digital bits.

Therefore, the oldest mode in radio (or landline) communication is a digital mode. [​IMG]

8. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is growing faster then I could read it all, I had to skip ahead.
    It has begun, CODE WAR II: The Final Battle
    This is going to be fun to watch. [​IMG]

9. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

The war is over.

10. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems like a lot of people are saying that only the older guys are pro-code. I am 17 I know and use CW, and I can think of several friends my age that dont have a problem with the code. I myself enjoy CW and do think it should be required to gain access to HF. The reason I feel it should remain is that it would require that you do some work to get on HF, not just have the privilege handed to you. If you want to get on HF bad enough stop whining and crying and start studying.
    I swear, I have seen more Techs and non-hams cry and whine over the CW requirement then I have seen CBs at a hamfest. Its only 5 WPM, if you are to lazy to spend one week learning something then you should be shot! Dont forget, its cheaper and easier to play around on CB then it is to experiment with Ham Radio. If you want to be an Amateur Radio operator then work for it, dont expect everything in life to be handed to you. I am getting really tired of hearing all this non-sense, accept that you will have to actually use the gray matter in between your ears and learn something. We all have to do things we dont want to, but that is life. "Adapt and Overcome". Lets hear all the excuses you have as to why you are so special that we should give the world to you on a silver platter. Bunch of cry babies.
    Alexander KG4OGN

11. KG6FTL

KG6FTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I truly believe this is a step forward for our hobby. Those that wish to retain the code in their operations, more power to you. Those that have no wish to use CW or be held back by it, now it seems will have a choice. This is a win, win situation for everyone. That, is my opinion.

Stephen / KG6FTL

12. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd be hard pressed to believe it, based on some of the responses in this thread.

It is over, however. No mistake about that.

13. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's only a win situation if you are benefit of the GIFT.

To me, it's nothing but CW Welfare.

14. KE2IV

KE2IV Ham Member QRZ Page

Suddenly, millions of Americans are tossing out their cell phones and abandoning the Internet!

In a massive popular response to the FCC's NPRM regarding elimination of any CW testing requirement for an Amateur Radio License, these multitudes are jamming into ham radio dealer outlets!

These wise folks are tossing out their cell phones so that they can erect towers and yagi antennas in order to talk to Aunt Emily down the block.

The really crafty now understand that their World Wide Web (aka WWW) DSL web access is obsolete now that they can access 2M packet radio!

The few remaining ham radio operators are aghast at this onslaught to the crowded RF bands that they struggle to occupy! [​IMG]

15. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't honestly see the CB people coming right over to Ham because of this. We've had the NCT licence for how long? I don't see how this will increase their numbers.

Anyone who would have the gumption up to this point to become a ham would do so anyway, they already have the way in via the NCT licence.

Most people on CB are on it because its truely plug and play, just like a cell phone, telephone, etc. You pay the price to obtain your transmitter of choice and you're on. Why fiddle with STUDYING for a test? I can just buy all of this equipment and be on the air instantly..... The addition of HF isn't going to bring much more of them in, I don't think. And, as has been stated, people could memorize the answers, but honestly, thats work that most people who only want to get on to be a clown aren't going to go to the trouble doing.

Now, I do agree with a good portion of the NCT's moving up the ladder quickly, so to speak. But, lets be honest, how many Extras out there now can reliably, right this second, send and recieve code? Most of them haven't in years. Ok, so they took the step to get there, then what are they doing? Talking just like a NCT does on a repeater, but over longer distances. Sure, a good portion of them could probably get back in the saddle if given a week to 'relearn' code, but that raises the question-if code is so vital, why aren't they proficent in it NOW? If it is so vital, then they should be proficent enough to do it right now, shouldn't they?

I think this going through proves strength in numbers. Do I like the proposal? As I previously stated, no, I wish the tech licencees were just granted a TASTE of HF (some slivers of each band) for phone/ssb usage, to let them get their feet wet. Then with that, they could upgrade. I don't think elimination across the board is the answer.

But, from what I'm hearing around here also, it seems that although there are some die-hard code only users, the numbers are rapidly fading, and this is why this has now gone through. I hope you all will be vocal about this proposal, but I fear it will be in vain as you will be greatly outnumbered. Change usually occurs because the larger group has prevailed. And, like you, my opinion is unheard also because I'm being drowned out by the "NO CODE FOR ANYONE" crowd. I'll make my opinion as stated above known also by submitting my comments, but I expect, like the code only crowd, it won't be heard. It will be buried in a pile of "hoorray, no more code!" submissions.

Gotta give them credit. They stood together, they nailed the FCC, and they got this pushed through. If you think they pushed hard before, just look at them now-they can see the light and they are pushing harder than ever. We can try to push back, but I think the numbers got this to where it is, and will get it over the top.

I just hope that when I learn code there will be enough people who haven't walked away to converse with. Knowing my skill level and learning curve, I'm going to take a little longer than the average person. Worst case, I will at least be able to decode repeater ID's........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.