ad: UR5CDX-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who need Cliff Notes, the NPRM proposes to remove the code test for all classes of license and that is all. If you are a NCT, you must still pass the General written test to get on HF.

The NPRM gives us a minimum of 60 days to comment.

2. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it was a maximum of 60 days to comment.

3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. Let's institute a "Digi-whiz" class license to permit use of the sub-bands formerly relegated to CW. All others must stick to "POP" (Plain Old Phone - SSBor AM, it matters not).

Requirements: Keyboading ability demonstrated at 20WPM. Ownership of a laptop (required to be operated for the VEC). Packet or Winlink modem attached, of course. Must be able to successfully 'connect' to another node or modem operated by the VEC at time of examination.

Come on folks, the ARRL pulled off Incentive Licensing once before in the 60's. They can do it again.

Lee
    W6EM

4. W4STP

W4STP Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] The CB'ERs will run rampant through the bands!!

5. W9KJB

W9KJB Ham Member QRZ Page

i think its a good thing... [​IMG] i think the old time operators are all against it...but like bob dylan sang the song...the times they are a changing, nothing will always stay the same

6. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

Well, I just recently renewed my license for another 10 years, so I suppose I will bear witness to the death of the service I grew to love.  I also note ARRL bulletin ARLB017 and the announcement of the decision to move forward with the bandwidth proposal was released today.

I truly hope those who have fought so hard to destroy what brought so many people throughout the decades to the service will enjoy sending their free internet e-mail on whatever slivers of our spectrum remain after voice communications consume their feast.

Soon, the only difference between the amateur radio service and the citizen's band service will be an open book written examination. EDIT:I'm in error, having been overcome with grief.  It isn't an open book test.  The exact questions, with answers, are given as a "study aid".  Break 19.

I'm quite sure that in a little over 8 years I'll have no urge to renew my license.  Maybe my call could be re-issued as a vanity call, and assigned to a Winlink PMBO then.  That's about the only possible way this could be any worse for me.

In the nearly 13 years of being licensed, I've taken a stab at as many facets of the service as practical.  Nearly everything I learned to enjoy about amateur radio is about to depart.  I sure will miss this as a hobby.

Oh well, majority rules, so I'm screwed.  I'll give 'em hell for the remaining 8 years though.

7. AB2OM

AB2OM Ham Member QRZ Page

let's wait and see what happen..:rock:

8. W4STP

W4STP Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] The CB'ERs will run rampant through the bands!! I say
    keep to the code!!

9. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

They already are

Welfare Extras huh?

10. K7FE/SK2017

K7FE/SK2017 QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member

CW is one of the modes that we as Radio Amateur's are licensed for. It seems only fitting that the entrance test include Morse Code. The FCC does asks questions about other modes of operation that we are licensed for.

11. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

Having used and loved Cw since 1948 I just hope they don't make us loose any of the CW portions of the bands. I could care less if it doesn't become a prerequisite for HF access. It has become so easy otherwise to get the upgrades that its senseless.
    Curt

12. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

I also think that the FCC will consider dissenting opinions to this NPRM as so much drivel from a bunch of drooling old men.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, is sacred in this country anymore.

Break 19.

13. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

They are not changing the tests and I think the only question on cw in the whole question pool refers to bandwidth.

There is no way cw will keep its current sub band allocation.

14. W5WEC

W5WEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go again. Same old stuff, different day. I can`t wait to read the 250 or more comments that have already been made on this subject. Some people have a hard time adapting to change. I agree with the proposal.  Oh ! buy the way, i am a 20 wpm extra. Just my thoughts. This will go from the civil war to Stars Wars  pros and cons.

15. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is really getting old, hearing the old school whine and cry about changes. First it was the no code techs were going to turn the ham bands into CB and the hobby was going to die, the sky is falling ETC. But in the 13 years I've been in ham radio I've monitored HF allot and I hear the majority of foul mouth lids on HF. When I get on VHF and UHF I hear allot of new hams that enjoy the hobby and are very courteous, not the OM's on HF cussing and jamming each other because they claim they own a frequency. Like Hollingsworth said its not the no code techs that are giving him issues its all the advanced and extra class’s.

Now a question to the old timers who say this is going to kill the hobby. There are just as many Techs as there are generals + advanced + extra class, But the majority of enforcement actions are against the higher class licenses for their conduct on HF. How is allowing codeless operators on HF going to make things worse, If anything it would IMPROVE the overall conduct on HF. I would really enjoy hearing any comments to the otherwise. 

BTW I look forward to buying all that gear you old timers are selling on Ebay because as you all said for years when they do away with the code you will sell your gear and get out of ham radio [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.