ad: ProAudio-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you should.

2. KI2K

KI2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure where some of these concerns come from- no one is taking code away- just the code test to get on HF. Those who choose to do code aren't being disenfranchised. Or am I missing something?

3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've written a couple of sarcastic pieces here. Now, I need to get serious.......

So, the FCC wants more efficient use of the spectrum, eh?

I'd like to hear how they *define* efficiency. Is it minimum use of bandwidth? CW wins. Only a few Hz wide. Not your receiver IF filter bandpass, folks. Actual width of spectrum used by the mode. Compare that with ANYTHING else.

Ah, but maybe its efficiency of the transmitting apparatus. Output power vs. Input power. Hmmm. I think CW wins again. Why? A class C amplifier consumes NO current when no signal is present. True even for efficient solid state devices. I guess a digital modulation technique which switches the oscillator through final RF amp could be devised so as not to use the power inefficient "crutch" of modulating class AB-1 SSB transmitter audio.

Maybe its efficiency of channel throughput (when not sending stored files). CW wins again. Potentially much faster than keyboarding. And, you can hear your typos and instantly fix them. Try that with a keyboard sometime and hope to maintain a high throughput rate.

So, what sort of spectrum efficiency is the FCC referring to, if not one of the above?

Lee
    W6EM

4. KC0NBW

KC0NBW Ham Member QRZ Page

don't hold your breath until it passes, (unless you are a no coder!) things can change considerably yet ! [​IMG]

the final outcome can still be a long time away.

5. KE5EIY

KE5EIY Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Maybe this will bring the CBers into amature radio....then we will sneak up behind em' and take the 11 meter band! [​IMG]

6. N1MLF

N1MLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks .. I got mixed emotions on this.. I'm a 13 wpm general and enjoy the CW side of the hobby, albiet I wish I could copy the 20+ stuff I deal with what I can hear.
    I personally know several NCT's that are very knowledegable and love ham radio but dont have the talent or time to deal with a mode that doesn't intrest them.
    On the same token there are several lids that want to get on board. So whaddya supposed ta think here?? Lock out a group of good folks or let 'em in and deal with the lids that come as excess baggage?[​IMG]?
    Having said that my first call is to keep the code requirement and second to that is: If the code is dropped then toughen up on the written exams.
    As for me... I'm having a hard time dealing with the "smith chart" area and some of the math on the extra but I'll be damned if I'll test till I understand the whyfores about the howcomes!!
    Bottom line...

...keep the code...

so theres my snivle about it!!

..JW..

7. N4EFL

N4EFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that no code would be fine on above 14mhz, but for God's sake not on anything below these. I would not care if they retested everyone at the speed of 20 wpm. I have never passed that but could with a little study. I don't want it to turn out like the CB band, which is the main reason that I have been on the ham bands for the past 25 years. The 75 and 40 meter bands are crowded now. Why put more of these no coders on these bands.

8. KE5EIY

KE5EIY Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Darn computer spell check....I meant to spell amateur not amature.....am am such an amateur at this! [​IMG]

9. WB9ABB

WB9ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's about time the cw code is not part of the test..I bet 75 % of the Hams out there don't remember the code now...or us it any more at all...I no I have for got a lot of it to...so it is time to upgrade to the new times and not the old days...73's to all...

10. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Better hold onto your money, you would lose that bet bigtime.

11. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

I think that the reference to spectrum efficiency had nothing to do with the bandwidth of the mode. I would say that by removing the CW barrier, more people will get on the air and by having the bands more full, the spectrum is better utilized.

We're not even close to using the bandwidth that we already have, except for a few popular frequencies that a few people fight over. Most of our spectrum goes unused, most of the time. One thing for sure is that if we don't use it, we WILL lose it.

-fred

AA5BK likes this.
  12. K1HAH

K1HAH Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1948 when I learned code there was AM and CW, today its nice to still have it available. I personally love it, but the modes others love have no need for cw. It will be a sad day when the last key becomes silent. Now we must continue to protect the CW portion of the band through using it properly.

John P Callaghan K1HAH

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe that part of the reason for opposition to elimination of the code as a requirement is the thought that something earned or achieved would be lost.

At one time, in commercial licenses, an FCC Radiotelegraph license holder could do anything an FCC Radiotelephone licensee could.......and more.

So, everyone who's above a NCT becomes an Amateur Radiotelegraph Operator licensee of particular class, of course. All NCTs and any future no code licensees would be known as Amateur Radiotelephone Operator licensees.

Now, comes the fun. No code, means no priviledge to use the mode OR use a segment of spectrum for non-phone modes. No way out of "the box?" Too frigging bad.......

Lee
    W6EM

14. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

We talk about ham radio going down hill. And the bands being crowed, I don’t know how many times I've hear someone having a nice rag chew on 80 or 40 and then hear them wiped out by some meathead yelling "CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST"

As far as lids and baggage have any of your old timers really tuned around the band? On HF I hear everything from gross profanity to racial slurs. Is this example we want to set?

And you talk about 11 meters and the old power wars. Ham radio has the same, but we call it busting a pileup. It’s still the same as 11 meters who has the bigger badder station.

I bet now we will actually get some people on board to help fight BPL because it’s apparent that the old school OM's are too busy fighting about the code [​IMG]

15. N7SSB

N7SSB Ham Member QRZ Page

WELL i can tell you now it will be just like c.b.
    how would i know this.
    my son is in a no-code country and he is a ham as well and he has told me.

"""dad these guys lower their ant and wire to just a few feet off the ground to be able to talk mostly local only to all their friends and it creates total hell on my radio from the locals to be able to do any dx or let alone jump out of town on the freq. you told me this might happen and it is.. and the governing force has no man power to do anything about it from what i have found out from fellow old timers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.