ad: Retevis-1

CANADA REPORTS AGREEMENT TO DROP MORSE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7RFH

VE7RFH Ham Member QRZ Page

Another irrelevant remark. The ITU, just like the UN General Assembly, is a place where countries meet to resolve problems and strike agreements with each other on a consensus basis. Sometimes countries are outvoted but that happens in a democratic organisation.

2. VE7RFH

VE7RFH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think anybody has suggested that the ITU seeks to force the USA to do anything at all, certainly I haven't. Somebody else (with an American call) contrasted the ITU with the UN, I merely pointed out that the ITU is an agency of the United Nations.

As for Morse Code proficiency being part of the license requirement, you are as entitled to your view as anybody else. The original reason for including it vanished years ago and the majority of members of the ITU have acknowledged that. It is not being banished as a mode, anybody and everybody will remain perfectly at liberty to continue using CW or not. Surely technical and operating competence is a much more important element of our hobby that mastery of Morse Code.

3. KB1SF

KB1SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It appears I’ve stirred up a hornet’s nest with my previous postings.

It is also fascinating to note how the tone of the discussion changes when yet another “nail in the coffin” is added to people’s long-held (and often-passionate) beliefs.

As I recall, one of the reasons the FCC cited for dropping both the 13 and 20 WPM Morse requirement a few years back was that it was putting VEs into an increasingly awkward legal position when persons with so-called “disabilities” were showing up with doctor’s waivers who otherwise appeared to be perfectly capable of taking a code test.  VEs were asked to report such behavior to higher authority, which left both the VEs (and the FCC) in the untenable position of “playing doctor” by forcing us to judge whether or not a person was truly “disabled”.  

What wasn’t openly discussed at the time was that this procedure also made VEs, the VECs (and, ultimately, the FCC) ripe for litigation if some “disabled” person (with a high powered lawyer and deep pockets) was called on the carpet for faking their disability and then later decided to challenge that ruling in court.  

Now, with the hard and fast 5 WPM requirement removed from the ITU’s rules, governments have even LESS legal authority to continue testing for Morse.  So, why would government lawyers want to continue inviting the possibility for such litigation when there’s absolutely no longer any need do so?  

Unfortunately, we live in an increasingly litigious world.  Ultimately, I believe the FCC’s (and Industry Canada's) lawyers WILL drop Morse testing for a whole lot of very good and valid reasons that have already been discussed here and elsewhere.

And one of those reasons will most certainly be to eliminate the possibility of litigation against their respective governments from disabled persons who, even with accommodation, are still unable to take and pass a Morse test.

Keith
    VA3KSF / KB1SF

4. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not the issue. A US citizen cannot operate in the US on a foreign licence. Of course, you have the right to revoke your US citizenship, but then you would be a stateless person if you were not a citizen of anywhere else. Not really worth it, just to get on HF!!

I'm not a US citizen, and I do have a no-code HF licence that would be perfectly valid in the US. However, I already have my Extra (20wpm) licence as well, and FCC rules also dictate that I must use my US call if I have one. An alien with a US no-code licence would have to turn it in to the FCC before they could use their foreign no-code licence on HF.

73 de Alun, N3KIP, G8VUK

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

When the last nail is in, tap on the box from your inside vantage point and we'll let you out. LOL.

Ah, yes. Because the ITU put forth their voluntary compliance decision which has no binding lawful clout, the FCC now has "LESS legal authority" to do whatever they want in the United States? ROFLMAO! ! ! !

No relevence. How does your ever changing point apply to the US? Anyway, I finally figured it out. The FCC is challenging your medical waiver and you're using your messages on QRZ as the proof you're disabled? [​IMG]

6. WA4DOU

WA4DOU Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally I think I have it right. Because "you're worth it", society owes it to you and no arguement should stand in your way. I suppose the ultimate arguement would be that a comatose person is therefore owed everything by everyone!

7. KI4HPZ

KI4HPZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some folks can not learn the code for medical reason, I can understand that. Like some do not have the coordination to play golf. Like i broke both of my feet in Nam. All i have is uncordinated pain in my left foot.

8. K4LFP

K4LFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Up to this point point, I have kept my mouth shut regarding the whining, moaning and just plain nonsense regarding morse code.
    Today, I took the test, again, and failed. Knowing the difference between a "dit" and a "dah" is one thing, combining them to sound at 17 wpm is another. And yes, I know the spacing is set to 5 wpm.
    Hearing extra class operators on repeaters complaining about tech class operators, the power button comes in handy, I just turn the radio off.
    I enjoy working SSB, 6 and 2 meters. 99% of the time, I hear voice. During contests, 99.9% of the time, I hear voice. Listening on HF, where are the code operators?
    It's gotten to a point, where my passing grade for Element 3 was a waste of time. Time to sell the radios and not look back. If the FCC wants to drop the code, so be it.

9. KI4HPZ

Code quick 2000 is a way to learn code too. I am trying too.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

"You only fail if you fail to try."

I admire you for trying.

73, Mike

11. KI4HPZ

My understanding is the FCC is gona drop the code requirement for general before the yr is out. And the code to some is awful to learn. Some people can play a piano and other can not.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't count on it!

It's awful to everyone at first!

Agreed...and you can bet nobody ever learned to play a piano without first trying.

13. KI4HPZ

If the code is so fantastic why force people to learn it? Why fear its removal? I know why...I understand the fear--The fear of the code on the wave dying...

should be optional....:D

14. KF1G

KF1G Guest

And you are the only one who makes relevant remarks !
    You are comparing the UN with a democratic organization. Ok, if you think so but don't try to convince me.

15. KI4HPZ

The fear of not finding folks to code with... The fear of talking and getting to know someone up close and personal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.