ad: CQMM-1

CANADA REPORTS AGREEMENT TO DROP MORSE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

This is a very refreshing attitude.

Good luck learning morse code. It only requires willpower and determination.

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

On the other hand, we have hpz. ...

Troll?

hpz,

From your statements it is obvious you know nothing about human interaction and/or CW. You have alot to learn about Amateur Radio beyond the 5 WPM code requirement. Good luck.

3. W0VU

W0VU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you James for a well thought out post here, we sure needed it.

73's Bob
    w0vu

PS Hope to work you on CW soon...

4. W0VU

W0VU Ham Member QRZ Page

As you well know Charlie, HPZ has had his ticket now for
    four months, I guess he should have it all without anywork involved in having phone privileges.

5. VE7RFH

VE7RFH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is inevitable that Morse Code proficiency will disappear as an Amateur Radio licensing requirement, even in the USA. The only surprise is that it has hung in there for as long as it has.

6. KF1G

KF1G Guest

If you intend to learn the code, why do we have to read your inincessant ramblings? From the hogwash that I have read from you, I doub't that there would be much human interaction there and God forgive me, I don't think that I would want to put the effort into it to find out.
    I learned the code while raising 3 children and holding down two full time jobs. Actually I am tired of listening to your lame excuses and reading your silly posts. Please do us all a favor and unscrew the whoopie cushion from your sholders and screw your head back on.
    You accused me of being unkind in my previous posts. I just thought that I would show you what unkind is!
    Either grow up or take your pills.
    I am taking the lead of others and will not post on this subject anymore; It's to hard to get an intelligent discussion from the other side.

73 SK

ps If you do pass the code exam I hope you find someone to "CODE" with. [​IMG]

7. VK2BVS

VK2BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all.

There is no sending or receiving Morse code test in the new Somalia ham radio license qualifying course but Morse code is covered in another way in several parts of the new 18 topic Somalia ham radio license qualifying course.

The Somalia amateur radio license qualifying course suggests that the fun way to learn Morse code is when you get on air with your ham radio licence.

The Somalia ham radio license course is on the Internet and includes-

1. The location of Morse code in the ham radio frequency band topics A and B.
    2. Morse code abbreviations are covered under the International amateur radio abbreviations and the international Q code topics.
    3. Emergency amateur radio communications part B includes the QN code.

There is also an International Morse code topic that-

1. Covers the history of Morse code over the last 167 years.
    2. Shows how Morse code is used in emergencies both on air and in general life.
    3. How to hold the straight Morse code key.
    4. How to avoid sending Morse code characters incorrectly.
    5. How to make a Morse code radio contact.
    6. New hams are encouraged to send slow nice sounding Morse code to let other hams know they are new and encourages use of the code QRS “Please send your Morse code slower”.

The Somalia ham radio license qualifying course is on the website http://www.somaliahamradio.8k.com

73 Sam Voron VK2BVS, 6O0A.
    http://www.somaliahamradio.8k.com

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Sam,

Nice comments. Can you tell us HOW MANY Amateurs there are in Somalia?

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect he's more like ae4ip and lives for the attention gotten from a good troll message.

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Somalia Amateur Radio site:

and my favorite advice (maybe we should adopt this here in the US):

Great info!

11. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

I thought moon bounce was CW only!!??

12. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

No surprise here in the USA. It will continue to hold on here for some time to come as well. Amateur radio and Morse here are inseparable. Its like a cult religon. Those opposed to Morse as a requirement are often hunted down and burned at the stake.

13. K9AF

K9AF Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that the folks in Canada are considering dropping the Morse requirement to get a license. That kinda surprises me that they did it BEFORE France did.  Afterall, we all know how much the French like to surrender..... [​IMG]

14. VY2SS

VY2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

[Quote:The bands might get more crowded, but has anyone listened to Canadian portions of the bands, somedays pretty empty. As far as getting some of the 2m CB'ers on HF, I am quite sure we will have some with very poor operating practices, but that is why we are here to sort them out.]

.............................................................................

Wow! I didn't know we had our own band portions. This is going to be bad news for the other 300 odd countries who thought they had some rights to it.

I have read the first 15 pages of this and quite frankly can't justify spending any more time on it.

I used to be against no code but now I would just be happy if some of the ops I hear on VHF would be willing to learn a bit about ham radio proceedures before they embarass me on HF.

As to the guys who booed the Star Spangled Banner at a Montreal hockey game. I believe they were ejected from the game. If they are ejected from the country I won't miss them. Maybe send them south where they will find some kindred spirits.

I have been in ham radio for over 40 years. Met some great people and great operators. Many on CW. Many in North America, many elsewhere.

I will continue to do what I enjoy on the ham bands. I had to work for the privledge but things change. CBers VHFers - bring em on!

-Robby
    VY2SS

BTW The Russian alphabet has 31 characters. So they need some more on CW. "dit dah dit dah" is one of them.

-R

15. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Kanook no-code movement must be coming from the french Canada - the illogical short sighted anti- anything-that-america-has or supports part of Canada.

Kuby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.