ad: Radclub22-1

CANADA REPORTS AGREEMENT TO DROP MORSE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG4TBA

KG4TBA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am happy to see that Canada at least has finally begining to come around to twenty-first century thinking.My great granddad had enough sense to utilize an automobile when they became available knowing all the time he was not giving up his rights to horseback riding if he so choosed. I was happy when I tested for my drivers licence they did not make me demonstrate my proficency in horseback riding just to get the right to leagally drive an automobile.Things change,change with them or fade away.Be happy you are not required to show capable ability to operate some of the many new digatal modes or new space age communication modes just to keep your licence. KG4TBA

2. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't think so, Keith. And you are contradicting yourself. The only people who would have any remote possibility of a legal standing would be the disabled, and as you state, we are required to (and we do) make accomodation for them. So you can't say we must and at the same time claim that we don't.

Nothing arbritary or capricous about a requirement that applies to all, and specific accomodations are made for those with a legitimate reason to ask. In fact, most, if not all VEs will bend over backwards to help those with a genuine desire who suffer any impairment to reaching that desire. (Those who won't should be kicked off the VE teams, in my opinion.... I've never met one like that, but I suppose they exist.)

Nope, descrimination is not a legitimate reason for removal of the requirement. I believe there are reasons, but that's not one of them and should not be brought into the argument.

3. WA4DOU

WA4DOU Ham Member QRZ Page

This problem is not unique to amateur radio, a call for a reduction of standards is going on across the board in our society. Wonder what we're going to do when there are no standards anymore for anything?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Agreed...it is part of the "me too" mentality that is so prominent these days.

I considered the learning of morse code as somewhat of a history lesson. Though I hated history as a student, it was necessary to learn it in order to proceed to the next level (grade). Similarly, it was necessary to learn morse code in order to proceed to the next level (general). I did not consider the three weeks it took to learn morse code to be too much of a price to pay for an upgrade. [​IMG]

5. VE7RFH

VE7RFH Ham Member QRZ Page

The ITU is an international organization within the United Nations System, that same United Nations that you Americans so love to hate.

http://www.itu.int

6. AC4UT

AC4UT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a VE but deal with legal issues daily. I am not sure if anyone has filed an ADA claim with regards to a hobby.
    It would be interesting to see what the claim would represent in the way of diminished capacities or lack of life enjoyments.
    I don't see a duty owed in this issue but I get enlightened everyday.

CIAO
    Jerry KI4HDT

7. KF1G

KF1G Guest

There are disabilities and then there are Disabilities.

I have no problem licensing those who are so severely handicapped that they could never pass the code test; I don't think disibility should ever be used as a crutch for those just looking for an excuse.

My father (silent key) WA1WOC passed his tech license before the FCC and also passed the 13 wpm code test. He had rheumatoid arthritis and parkinsons disease.

Doesn't seem to be many real men left.

73 es good dx Lee

8. WA4DOU

The UN that we American's love to hate is that same UN that is not only largely ineffectual but intent on diminishing our national soverneighty and our God given constitutionally guaranteed rights.

9. WA4DOU

Anyone remember Cliff Korne K9EAB? Cliff was reported to live in an iron lung and only had the use of a toe. Talk about being handicapped. Cliff was known to be a very proficient cw op. He achieved the first award for working all counties in the US. But Cliff's handicap wasn't between the ears where the most serious handicap of all is to be found.

10. VE7RFH

VE7RFH Ham Member QRZ Page

What does that have to do with the ITU's funcion as the institution where governments and the private sector coordinate global telecom networks and services? The fact remains the ITU is an agency of the United Nations of which the USA remains a member, like it or not.

11. KF1G

KF1G Guest

We don't always listen to them, do we. Like it or not.

12. WA4DOU

The fact that the US is a member of the UN does not obligate us to agree with every decision that they come up with nor necessarily to be bound by such. Every third world country on earth wants to be equal in voice and vote to us, but all expect us to pay the lions share of the bill. This is not appropriate fare in this discussion but a certain VE7 made it an issue.

Like I alluded to earlier, Canada can do as they please. I certainly expect America to do as well. America is not in a position as a signatory to be required by any agreement or treaty to abolish the testing of morse code among amateur applicants. I for one hope they don't.

13. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Another sf brain check returned for insuffecient funds.....

We cleared up the fact that the FCC has no legal reason to remove the code based on the ITU decision. Now you say that there is legal reason because of the "disabled". You're obviously not familiar with ADA. As long as the FCC makes "reasonable accomodation" there is no issue.

P.S. Arguing on the basis of the "disabled" is a two edge sword. There are some disabled people who can ONLY use CW. They could argue that by removing telegraphy testing, the FCC was "arbitratily and capriciously" removing the future pool of operators with which the disabled person is "mainstreamed".

14. K4JF

Excellent point!! Disability cannot and should not enter the discussion. That has already been handled. Another thread discusses a very touching and inspiring story of a disabled person getting his license and working his way up on the basis of his determination and some very helpful hams. Under present rules.

15. K4JF

Actually, it was stated that there is no "underlying (valid) reason" for the CW requirement in order to make the descrimination argument. That is an opinion, not the law. The FCC will make the final decision as to the underlying need for the provision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.