ad: CQMM-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8CALL is only in its infancy, I don't think it is officially commissioned. Only a few Ham operator (Relative) know about this mode

Tab on the below URL. which indicated FT8CALL has already surpassed BPSK31, and marching towards the top of the list.

https://pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl

Wait another month or two, I bet it will eventually take over CW and hold second place only to FT8.

I am happy to see the constant evolution and advancement in Ham radio, it seems lately most of it, is around the digital modes, and SDR technology. Who said Ham radio is not cutting edge!

Best

NN2X, Tom, C U Bands

KN4CRD likes this.
  2. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

The frequencies built into the program are suggestions / starting points. FT8Call does not restrict you from using your VFO to move to another free space on the band. The intent is for us all to be good operators and not cause unnecessary QRM.

However, it is imperative for all operators to remember that the bands are a shared resource and are not owned by any one group or mode.

LB9YH likes this.
  3. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

About the frequency allocation for FT8CALL.

Like FT8, the program is set for the Ham operator. For example if you are using WSJT-X the program sets up for 14.074 for 20 meters and has a default window (Bandwidth). Yes you can use the VFO and slide up and down the bands, but in practice 14.074 is used. If the Ham operator deviates to far from the center frequency he will experience less if not no response to the CQ call. So by default the activity is indirectly governed by the default setting of the program (WSJT-X)

Like wise with FT8CALL, the program is set for 14.080 (For example on 20 meters), Again you could go up and down the band but if the Ham operator adheres to the set frequency (14.080) more contacts will be experienced

C U on the bands..

NN2X, Tom

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    LB9YH likes this.
  4. KC9OFJ

KC9OFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I cant see the forest for all the trees, Could someone post a direct link to the download?
    KC9OFJ

KN4CRD likes this.
  5. N3MLB

N3MLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow

N5OCO, K0PJS, VA3OSO and 1 other person like this.
  6. N1RVN

N1RVN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KN4CRD

FYI... That is not the link. (That just downloads the source code, which you're free to do, but you have to build it.)

This is on purpose by the way. The app is still in development and is not a general release. You have to join the groups.io group: https://groups.io/g/ft8call/

To get to the download links: https://groups.io/g/ft8call/wiki/FT8Call-Latest-Release-Download-Links

8. W1XQ

W1XQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dang, I am stuck in Dallas for work, then to Georgia. Will have to wait until I get home to try this out. Excited to see this! Tnx Jordan, anxious to give this a shot!

KN4CRD likes this.
  9. N1RVN

N1RVN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, OK... thanks.

Applied for membership...

KN4CRD likes this.
  10. ZS2EZ

ZS2EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a pity there is no WEBSITE - there is NO WAY that I am going to subscribe to YET ANOTHER mailing list.... I cannot cope with the flow of mails that I already receive (still over 5 000 unread, just cannot seem to catch up). REALLY tired of people reporting "false positive" virus alerts from their free Antivirus programs instead of using DECENT commercial ones!!!! :-(

When this software (and documentation) is posted on a proper website it will be worth looking at....

de Barry ZS2EZ

YT1C, K2NCC, WA4JQS and 1 other person like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Jordan,

Just joined the IO group, downloaded the latest package, installed and made first FT8CALL QSO (with K5MQ) Quite impressive!

It should be explained that your technique for sending long form text, unlike WSJT-X, appears to use successive 15s transmission cycles, separated by the short time out, to complete one side of the message; not the accustomed "back and forth" between stations every cycle. That makes sense and the experience much more like other "free form" digital modes, and appealing.

Question - the JT / FT mode requires the transmission cycles to be sync'ed within a tolerance of about 0.2s. This is normally done by setting the xmit and rcv PC clocks to a real time universal reference. Could FT8CALL be made to instead auto sync the rcvrs local PC clock relative to any random leading edge of a xmsn detected from a particular station heard? That would make it more flexible and push back on those purist FT8 critics that say the external PC clock sync requirement makes it not a real "all radio" digi mode.

73, John, WØPV

12. KN4CRD

Understood Barry, but like I said above, this is software that is in active development and not yet ready for general consumption. There's no way I expect the general ham public to jumping through those hoops. Early adopters will, no problem.

This mailing list is announcement only, though. No user messages. There are chatrooms for that.

Either way. Look out for future updates when a general release is available. Until then, have fun.

Best,
    Jordan / KN4CRD

13. KN4CRD

Thanks John. Clock tolerance is 2 seconds not 0.2

I'm working on some ideas for a more flexible decoder, but likely a long-term goal ;)

In the meantime, I ignore those purists and complete my transcontinental QSO using real sentences at -20dB :)

WD4IGX and W0PV like this.
  14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

GROUPS.IO has become the default message board for those migrating from or abandoning Yahoo Groups, which has a bad reputation and uncertain future. Several Yahoo Groups that I am/ was a member of have moved in the last year or so.

Also, both Yahoo Groups and GROUPS.IO allow members to turn off all or all but special notice emails. However their default is to send ALL emails. A member simply has to go into their profile and change the preferences. I get almost ZERO emails since doing that long ago. A shortcut on the desktop launches a browser to go to the group web page when I desire to see it.

K2NCC likes this.
  15. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still seeing trees...This allowed me to download the source code to compile, but I did not find a compiled windows install file? I dont have a compiler for windows, only can run make on linux.