A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

What I'm seeing there looks like several minutes for each transmission. Not surprising since FT8 only equals about 10 wpm.

KN4CRD likes this.
  2. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly. There are obvious delays between transmissions while deciding what to reply.

The variable character encoding brings it somewhere between 10 & 15 WPM depending on the composition of the sentence (each character takes a different amount of "time" to send). 12WPM is about average. What you get for that speed is theoretical sensitivity down to 24dB below the noise floor in only 50Hz bandwidth. It may "work" when other modes won't.

But, if you have a good, noise "free" propagation path, you should likely be using a mode with a higher throughput (FSQ 3 is about 30WPM at -16dB, Olivia 4/500 is about 40WPM at -10dB).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    W7SUA likes this.
  3. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought that FT8 was for those of us that weren't in the mood to have a conversation......

KB2SMS, KK2DOG, NU4R and 2 others like this.
  4. KN4CRD

It's pretty easy to not have a conversation using any mode :)

KD0XL, M0KBO, ZP6SKY and 9 others like this.
  5. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To KN4CRD - Jordan!....

I am happy you joined this Thread!

I did my best to promote the FT8Call (I posted on EHAM, QRZ and any other place I could find)...

In my humble opinion I believe this mode (FT8Call) will out pace the rest of the (QSO) Digital Modes for two reasons..

1. It is similar to FT8, and branding name "FT8Call" was brilliant, as Ham operators know of this mode

2. Even at 10 wpm (FT8Call) to be able to decode at -24dB below the noise floor blows away anything else, including CW...(I love Olivia 500/8) but it is only able to decode at -13db, at 30 wpm, I am willing to let go 20 wpm, to have -24dB decoding abilities !

Jordan thank you for creating this program.

NN2X, Tom

KD0XL, VA3OSO, KN4CRD and 1 other person like this.
  6. N3MLB

N3MLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on a job well done! I'm not a fan of FT8. In my household, and it's only my opinion, nothing more, FT8 does not constitute a QSO but is a great propagation tool. My argument has always been, if you can't exchange information, whether you do or don't, it's not a QSO. Your modification just blew that out of the water and I look forward to exploring FT8CALL.

For those who want to argue what FT8 is, please don't. Opinions are nothing more than that..

KD0XL, WD4IGX and KN4CRD like this.
  7. W7SUA

W7SUA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With FSQCall I had to relay via East Coast station to talk to HB9AVK. Used a narrow filter around the FSQ channel. Today with FT8Call was talking direct to HB9AVK on 20 meters with my SSB filter in place. Later will try 40 meters for same W7SUA to HB9AVK path.

73, tom w7sua

LB9YH and KN4CRD like this.
  8. N1RVN

N1RVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Best news I heard in a looong time! And I'm proud to be your neighbor Jordan...

LB9YH and KN4CRD like this.
  9. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I consider myself THE pioneer of destroying the bands with FT8, based on my video on YouTube. If I made a video on this, it would indeed explode. But i'm hunting for people to work on DominoEx, Hellschrieber and Thor. Can't find them. So should I advertise this or not... I can't decide. I may never see a PSK signal ever again.. By the way, 6 meters has been open for 4 months at my QTH, and still going strong. You know how I know that? Because they are ALL on FT8, everyday. People tell me they haven't heard a 6 meter opening in years, That's because they don't go to 50.313 . FT8 is the new beacon.... All you have to do is call CQ on phone, and stations will hear you... Enough of my rant...

KD4MOJ, KX1MAD, KP4SX and 2 others like this.
  10. KN4CRD

Your video on Olivia got me to have my first Olivia QSO. So there's that

But then the band dropped out and nobody could hear me...so I went and made transatlantic contacts over FT8 instead.

Give FT8Call a try and let me know how it works for you. Happy to help any way I can!

Cheers!

Jordan / KN4CRD

K0XL and N9PBD like this.