ad: Flexradio-1

What happened to the "List" version of QRZ home page?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by K7IN, Mar 13, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8FM

N8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I want my MTV! ...but I *really* want my list view back!

KB8UUZ, WJ1MK, NK2U and 1 other person like this.
  2. W3RJW

W3RJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ridiculous clutter. List view was simple and orderly.

There must be other reasons other then lack of use. $$?

KB8UUZ, NK2U, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  3. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW didn't know I was a 1%er. :cool:

(Just spent a good half an hour trying to find an explanation of what happened to LIST VIEW. At least now I know.)

KB8UUZ, NK2U and AJ4LN like this.
  4. N4LSJ

N4LSJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The list view worked fine here and was infinitely more readable. The only reason a small percentage used the list view is because the thing to change it wasn't obvious.

Sorry to be a blowhard, but BAD DECISION.

The grid view is very difficult to read.

KB8UUZ, WJ1MK, NK2U and 3 others like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't even know there was a "list view" :confused:

N0TZU likes this.
  6. KK4RXC

KK4RXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think more than 1% were using the list view. I really don't know how folks have been looking at this clutter.
    Not sure why there was a grid view.
    How about the admin doing a poll with a screen shot of both and see what happens. I know QRZ is not a Democracy but I think anybody that thinks this is a "Good Look"
    would prefer the list if they know it existed.

NK2U, KD5BVX, AJ4LN and 1 other person like this.
  7. N4LSJ

Its more of the late trend for the EN**********TION of things in general. :-(

8. W7CO

W7CO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, list view is (or should I say "was") FAR superior to the muddled grid view. I appreciate the work the QRZ crew does, but this change was not well thought out. As others have said, I too visit the QRZ page many times a day, but this new format is confusing and not doubt will impact how often I visit to view the articles and swap meet. I also don't believe it is one of those "give it a chance, and you will grow to like it" situations. The new layout is just too busy. I'm also baffled that only 1% of the users opt for list view.

WJ1MK, NK2U, K2DFC and 2 others like this.
  9. KY4PW

KY4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that a landing page default view would always get a majority of traffic.
    My bookmark is actually "recent posts".

NK2U and KD5BVX like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just as point of fact, the grid view and the list view are the same age. So it's not a "new format" in that sense. BOTH have been in place since the last site overhaul in 2016.

Grid view was the default.

Dave
    W7UUU

11. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting/asking. It's unfortunate that they made the change. Definitely very cluttered and hard to follow. I think I've developed a slight headache from just a few seconds of viewing it. The List View should be the default as it makes much more sense and was a cleaner layout (kudos to whoever designed that!). Yes, I realize each person has their preference but I can't image, if presented with an image of the two options side by side in a survey, that a majority would choose this grid view or whatever over list view. Harder to look at and use = fewer visits and less interaction, I would image. At least for some of us.

Maybe this is why I've heard so many over the years say they bookmark specific sections of QRZ.com and never hit the homepage. If they'd known or realized they could change to list view I bet the number of List View users would have been higher. I suspect a majority of users never saw the 'list view' button and never bothered to change it. As another user said, no wonder the grid view had the most users. I would think QRZ would want users to hit the homepage but maybe not. I'm updating my bookmarks next so I can avoid it.

In the least, the grid view definitely needs a redesign and some cleaning up. Here's hoping!

NK2U and K7IN like this.
  12. W7CO

W7CO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My apologies if I mistakenly referred to the grid layout as the "new" format. It's new to me because as soon as I discovered list layout, I set that as my preference and never looked back.

Bob/W7CO

AJ4LN and KD5BVX like this.
  13. N4LSJ

I just figured out what "grid" view reminds me of. It's like going into a client and having to work on their PC, and they have icons strewn all over their desktop and you have to spend five minutes looking for the one you want, only to have to ask them, "Where's your quickbooks icon?" Oh, right there.

List view was CLEARLY superior, and if QRZ were to choose one to foist upon its users, it should have been that one instead of this random thing they've got going now.

AJ4LN, K4SAX, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That reminds me of this classic:

15. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Couldn't agree more. Crossing my fingers that they either change it to list instead or do a major overhaul of the current homepage.

KB8UUZ, AJ4LN, K4SAX and 2 others like this.