ad: CQMM-1

What happened to the "List" version of QRZ home page?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by K7IN, Mar 13, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This afternoon, I stepped away from my computer for a while and when I came back, the QRZ home page is now displaying in 'squares' rather than the "LIST" format that I much prefer. I am hoping this is just a temporary situation because, the button at the top of the page to choose is no longer visible...

KB8UUZ, W0PV, NK2U and 1 other person like this.
  2. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here.

KB8UUZ, W0PV and K7IN like this.
  3. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi there, Paul

I want to offer our apologies for the abruptness of the change. We here at headquarters realized that only about 1% of QRZ's users were using this "list view" and that we hadn't provided maintenance to the feature for some time. This meant that it eliminated some of the homepage content from the view. Instead of putting resources into the upkeep of a feature that was never widely adopted, we decided to stop supporting it. I have no doubt that the "list view" was near and dear to a few of you and again, I do apologize for any inconvenience. We have some really exciting upcoming improvements to the site that we are looking forward to sharing with the community and we're putting all of our resources behind the new development. As a small company, sometimes we have to prioritize one project over another.

Thanks for your understanding and your support of the site. We couldn't do what we do without the support of our subscribers and we thank you for your loyalty and patience.

Jaime Jeffries, KF7WIS
    CEO, QRZ.com

KA9JLM, N3RYB, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  4. AJ4LN

5. NB3R

NB3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I strongly suspect if more folks had actually tried the List view instead of just settling for the default Grid view, there would have been far more fans of the List view.

This change sure makes for a very unpleasant viewing experience of the cluster-clutter of boxes on the Zed's home page.

KC3RN, KB8UUZ, NF6E and 5 others like this.
  7. K7IN

Thanks for the explanation, Jamie. Unfortunately, that format is SO "busy" that it almost gives me a headache. I hope that this changes in the future, since a collage of pictures is not what I can get along with. The list format was used by more than 1% of us, I'm sure. Hopefully, your new improvements are easier to look at when they come. I really don't like having to pick out pictures of what I would like to see, especially in the swapmeet area. But, I will hang on to see what future changes reveal. If you're changing to accommodate smart phone users, there are still plenty of us who continue to use a steam powered desktop computer even though we still have to kick-start it in the mornings! 73, Paul - K7IN

KB8UUZ, W0PV, WJ1MK and 1 other person like this.
  8. AJ4LN

Yes, my brain can't easily make orderly sense of all the random boxes. It doesn't know where to look. The list was very intuitive.

KB8UUZ, W0PV, WJ1MK and 2 others like this.
  9. KD4QMY

KD4QMY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I too, find the "square boxes" format too "busy" and dizzying. I am one of the few who used the "List" format. I view the home page of QRZ multiple times throughout the day but will likely not so much with this square box layout. 73, George - KD4QMY - QRZ Premium Subscriber

K9LL, KB8UUZ, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  10. WD5ABC

WD5ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Or maybe I'm just going blind and not seeing it. All the boxes seem out of order, the list view makes more sense to my feeble brain. Is there a way to see it that way again? I tried 2 different browsers (Firefox and Chrome) and it's not up in the top left like it used to be.

Thanks!
    Kerry, WD5ABC
    SKCC 12

KB8UUZ, NK2U and AJ4LN like this.
  11. K7IN

I agree. I don't think they bothered to ask those of us who actually spend a lot of time on their home page which they preferred. It would be nice if they got real data from their users rather than just decide for everyone. But, I don't run this show, and am still happy they are here. - Paul - K7IN

KB8UUZ, NK2U and AJ4LN like this.
  12. AJ4LN

For reference, here's another boxed page, if you select Large Grid view or Grid View. It is much easier to follow than QRZ. It's left to right and up to down. with additional lists on the side. It has a list view available, but I prefer Large Grid view. https://slickdeals.net/ (slickdeals dot net) I have no affiliation.
    I hope QRZ is working on a much less chaotic and uncomfortable front page, perhaps with some ideas from the page I linked.

13. AJ4LN

Also, the boxes all move around if you resize your browser, reordering/reorganizing them, which is even worse.

NK2U likes this.
  14. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use large grid so I can zoom down the list instead of eye scanning each and every item....

15. W3DDF

W3DDF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not like the grid view at all. I always used list view.

KB8UUZ, W0PV, WJ1MK and 3 others like this.