ad: HamHats-1

Brian Crow, K3VR issued $11,500 fine by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have spoken to Brian Crow-K3VR on many occasions & never got the idea that he is stupid.As far as I knew he was putting a lot of efforts into clearing the 20 meter band of garbage from both North America & Canada & that he had many communications with Riley Hollingsworth-K4ZDH while he was at the FCC in an attempt too assist with removal of problems from the air waves.It will be interesting to see the final outcome.:p

Clayton
    W4KVW

2. KD0BCF

KD0BCF Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I think the fine should be tripled, his license taken forever, his equipment confiscated...sold & the money donated to the Palestinian relief fund. I also think he should then be put in prison for 25 years hard labor with no chance for parole. That's just what I think though. Anyone in the know, knows what a fraud he is & that he's the primary cause of most of the problems on 14.313...is poison has spread to 75m as well where he & his minions have harassed a well liked senior citizen on 3.843 & 3.833 for years now. Good job FCC...throw the book at him & his buddies. They're all right wing idiots.

1 person likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip,

I agree that the guys are not fools. You don't need to be a fool to make questionable decisions and it is my humble opinion that spending your life in an on air feud with another amateur is such a decision.

4. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I never give much thought to monitoring stations as I am never doing those antics. I wonder just how "accurate" they can be with propagation, etc. You practically wouldn't have to be outside someone's house when they do it to know it is coming from that location....

Love to see how that is done (episode of Modern Marvels would be great!)

5. WA2OLZ

WA2OLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was right there with you until that last sentence.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Available numbers are 1/2 to 1 mile. Known FCC DF procedures in the past included calibrating the system against a known station on same or adjacent band (e.g. commercial, FAA, utility, broadcast, SW broadcast, military)in vicinity before/after taking target readings. Additionally, modern DF systems have computer adjustmetns that take frequency and propagation into account, though I don't know if the FCC has this capability.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All the Extras?

There are over 135,000 individuals with current, unexpired Amateur Extra licenses:

http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts

Of these, a handful are in trouble with FCC.

8. K5SPP

K5SPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it interesting that just under two years ago when I was first licensed (as KF5SPP) I read several posts from a certain camp here that it was best to leave the miscreants on 14.313 (and the other well know freqs) alone. As long as they stayed on "their" particular frequency (as if it was okay for "them" to have their own freq) -- and we all stayed off -- all was good, and it wasn't worth the effort to go after them. After all, they said, that type of behavior has been going on for decades. I also recall seeing posts from new hams about such behavior, and suddenly the responses filled with, in before it locks-type comments.

Of course this was just the opinion by a certain few, and I did not believe then, or now, that it represented the majority.

Wow, times change. I wonder where those "leave it alone" commenters are now.

I for one certainly applaud the FCC for actively pursuing the riff-raff. Keep at it folks!

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Within a mile or two is the official info. The mobile units take over from there.

(Of course, that's the official info. The reality is probably much better. Go on Google Earth and see how good the detail is - then imagine what the state-of-the-art REALLY is....)

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

It wouldn't be my preference, but then again it wasn't my preference to be falsely characterized, defamed, and death-threated on the internet by --some-- hams either. I've lived through it: it is not pleasant, and there is a strong desire to make the victim the culprit.

The point is Brian is a big boy and knows what he is doing. I hope his misunderstanding with the FCC can be amicably resolved.

With very few exceptions, I talk to everyone when on the air, in a friendly and open manner. My communications with Brian--on and off air--have been friendly and remain so.

I have no intention of crucifying him and you (the 'generic 'you') shouldn't either.

Hmmmm...boola....Yale?

Chip W1YW

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In high density areas they have to do mobile DF.

Chip W1YW

12. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why, and I laugh when I ask this, would you tune to 313 to begin with? Also, is your VFO stuck on 313 where you couldn't spin the dial to another frequency? What a ridiculous post.

13. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's clarify: The recommendation was/is don't get on the air and mess with these miscreants. It only encourages them and soils you.

The people who abide by that aren't in trouble with the FCC....

14. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You needn't take my post personally unless you're one of the miscreants to which I refer. I was a relatively new ham at the time and was not aware of the garbage on this frequency until I dialed it in looking for something to show the kid next door. If you read the entire post, you would have seen that it was very quiet elsewhere on the bands. Perhaps you should hear the whole story before assuming this is "a ridiculous post." I also believe hams are not the only people monitoring our frequencies. SWL's, etc. listen in all the time. I certainly don't want anyone contemplating getting their ham license to hear this sort of nonsense and assume that's a bonafide part of ham radio. Further, why should any of us be subjected to the kind of tripe these mindless kretins like to spew on the air? Obviously from other posts, they like to spread out onto other bands. I hope that answers your questions, ridiculous or not.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  15. K5SPP

K5SPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps that was the "recommendation", but the message was those guys have their "own" frequency, it's not worth getting involved because no one will do anything about it, and that writing about it here was taboo as so not to offend.

Sounds like surrender to this old soldier.

Pure, PC horse-hockey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.