ad: chuckmartin

Brian Crow, K3VR issued $11,500 fine by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC monitoring facilities can pin point the signal to a specific antenna. If that antenna is on your property, and you are in possession of that property and that is the location specified on your license, you are responsible.

Now, from time to time the perp claims someone else did it. I participated in a case in San Diego in which the FCC Engineer(s) traced the signal, a rebroadcast of a music FM station, to a specific location. At the license revocation trial, the amateur denied it, and a friend of his concocted a story about being mobile 30 or 40 miles away during which time his wife in the passenger seat was leaning on the microphone in the car. The Chief ALJ hearing the matter did not take long to dismiss this as fantasy. The amateur in the mobile frankly was fortunate his testimony wasn't referred to the US Attorney for a perjury charge. The perp had his license revoked.

I would be confident that the FCC personnel involved can prove every pertinent detail of the DF and results substantiating their conclusion that the offending signal emanated from the property, beyond doubt, and will, if necessary.

2. K6DY

K6DY Ham Member QRZ Page

This may be another instance of some one in government having a job, but not knowing how to do their job.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep in mind FCC capabilities. Automated nationwide DF network with 1/2 to 1 mile accuracy. A transmitter "fingerprinting" system that records transmitter characteristics on key-down and matches to a database of previously saved files within two seconds. (they've had for almost 25 years). This is 'open source' knowledge you can find on the web if you are diligent.

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hip Hip Hooray let's hear it for the FCC:)

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where is the "hole"?

They used mobile DF equipment to monitor and locate the transmissions. As others have noted, FCC has some pretty amazing capabilities that can locate and "fingerprint" radio transmissions. Apparently they were used!

Where's the "hole"?

Note too that both of these are Notices of Apparent Liability - NALs. Only the first step - there are procedures to challenge the fine, plea-bargain, present evidence, etc.

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Imagine your whole existence revolves around a feud with another amateur.

My question to QRZ OPs: "Is there anything on AR worth dedicating your life to fighting with another ham?"

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the address on Brian's license.

CROW, BRIAN
    4781 North Congress Avenue, Suite 262
    Boynton Beach, FL 33426

That's a long way from PA.

8. N2EY

Yes it is. Doesn't matter.

The (alleged) violations happened in PA - North Huntington, to be exact. Read the NAL, it gives the exact address.

The FCC does not require amateur radio licensees to give their station location, nor to use portable or mobile designators. They used to, but all that went away years ago when their DF capabilities made it a moot point.

All that's required is a mailing address where they can send you mail and be certain you will receive it. Nothing more. So the mailing address could be in FL and the station in PA and no problem at all.

So....where's the hole?

9. K8MHZ

I was commenting on OGC's statement.

10. N2EY

Understood. He's mistaken about the license showing the station location.

But that's all.

It will be interesting to see how these cases play out.

11. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

12. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its About Time

I agree. The FCC has some outstanding equipment for tracking transmissions that leaves little doubt about signal origins.

I am delighted with these findings and only hope that the other miscreants on these frequencies sit up and take notice. Last year, I had the 10 year old neighbor boy over to see the shack. It was a pretty quiet day on the bands when I tuned in some signals on 14.313. I heard music being played, rants about politicians, other amateurs and the FCC, and a plethora of words not acceptable in polite conversation. This was all in less than a minute with stations transmitting over the top of one another. At first I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was worse than anything I've ever heard on 11 meters. Needless to say, the visit to the shack ended immediately.

I hope this enforcement continues and maybe they'll start looking at 7.255 as well, another source of "airborne" garbage.

13. WS2L

WS2L Guest

He got what he deserves.

14. K8MHZ

CW is the first thing that comes to my mind.....

15. K8MHZ

Wait, there's more!

From the ARRL web site:

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-releases-warning-notices-to-several-radio-amateurs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.