ad: UR5CDX-1

Breaking news: Fcc inaugurates paperless amateur radio licensing february 17

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA6ITF, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the "DOG" and Monica are not the same? ;)

I know... I know. Perhaps I'm "braking" bad...

2. KE8EC

KE8EC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A piece of paper isn't what makes us radio operators, it is our skills, knowledge, love of the hobby, common sense and courtesies. A desire to communicate beyond the norm, doing more with less. The paper should have no effect.

3. N2OPQ

N2OPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand that the postal rates will keep going up, so with them doing this now they save more than the calculated cost of today's postage times the number of licenses they mail out. I do fear getting locked out of thing electronically as passwords are forgotten (LoTW certs come to mind), email accounts change or are lost after 10 years, etc. Pluses and minuses. I'm assuming what we can print out will be acceptable to motor vehicle agencies when applying for callsign plates. We'll see if they got the memo.

4. WI0T

WI0T Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of complaining about nothing. Note the easy steps below to solve this crisis...

1) Log into ULS (which you have to do anyway to renew...) and download a PDF version of your license.
    2) (optional) Print it out.
    3) Turn on the radio and operate...

Rod

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see it as much of a problem. My paper license sits somewhere in a folder in my filing cabinet and the information has been online for years with the fcc. I don't even think I unsealed the envelope. Someday I'd like to get a frame to put my current license in and hang it up.. but that is only for asthetic reasons (I do have my first extra licencse from 1989 framed). What's nice is if you really want a copy, just print it out.

6. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey folks ...... if you take a moment and actually READ the info provided by the ARRL (which mimics the FCC) it will clear up a LOT of confusion, panic, like / dislike impressions you may have taken from the posts here on 'QRZ.COM' ..... reading is KNOWLEDGE!

"Under the new procedures, licensees will access their current official authorization ("Active" status only) via the ULS License
    Manager. The FCC will continue to provide paper license documents to all licensees who notify the Commission that they prefer to receive
    one.
    Licensees also will be able to print out an official authorization - as well as an unofficial "reference copy" - from the ULS License Manager."

"The FCC said that applicants or licensees who include a valid e-mail address under "Applicant Information" in the ULS will receive an official electronic authorization via e-mail. New license applicants who do not provide a FCC Registration Number at the examination point will receive a printed license as well as an FRN and a temporary password to access the Commission Registration System (CORES).

"Licensees also may contact FCC Support via the web at, http://esupport.fcc.gov/index.htm?job=contact_fcc_support , or via telephone or mail to request paper licenses."

Oh my oh my! It's a "different way" of obtaining a hard-copy of the license; it does NOT eliminate any possible chance of obtaining the license to hang on the wall in a "Dollar Store" frame!

From Senility Central Old Man Donnie

7. K6NG

K6NG Ham Member QRZ Page

All i can say is . . . Whao!

8. AB0RE

AB0RE Ham Member QRZ Page

In other news, the USPS has announced they've laid off a number of employees due to a decline of first-class mail volume from the FCC. Analysts expect at least $.5M in unemployment benefits to be paid over each of the next several years. ;-)

In today's technology age, getting a paper license in the mail does seem a bit old fashioned. However, for many it "makes their day" to get the "official" license in the mail, printed on the special paper. Then they can frame-em and hang-em. Yes, we're all whackers at heart.

9. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a solution...Why dont they have on the form you fill out (605) when you get ready to take your test for your Amateur Radio License, have an option you can check if you want to receive a paper license or an electronic license!....Or even an option if you can do both...that would be simple.

10. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maryland does it as well. Or as we in Virginia call it, East LA.

11. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

So the FCC says sure log in and get an "official copy" of your license. What will be on it to make it official, and winn VEC take the "official" version as legit?

The FCC allowys you to log in a print your own copy, but the ARRL is so worried about bad hams getting wallpaper that they require a magic card before you can use LoTW.

12. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

cool! I may print this on 120# parched paper, fit into mahogany wood frame.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the comments just brake my heart....

chip w1YW

14. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC has Franking privileges. They do not pay for postage.

15. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First of all, the form 605 only need be completed AFTER the candidate has passed the exam. If they don't pass, nothing is filed with FCC and only a Test Session Report and Candidate Roster (or similar form depending on which VEC) is filed with the VEC. The unnecessary form 605 would be discarded, wasting paper. That has no bearing on this issue, but I wanted to point it out to avoid confusion.

Secondly, there is no block to check on the current form 605 to choose to receive a paper license, so the VECs and all VE teams would need to be supplied with NEW form 605s. How much is that going to cost ?

All in all I think the entire idea of a paperless license is pointless. I think someone at FCC has ants in their pants. They have better things to do with their time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.