ad: Radclub22-1

Breaking news: Fcc inaugurates paperless amateur radio licensing february 17

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA6ITF, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The interesting number would be how much did it cost to implement the change in order to save an insignificant amount of money by government standards. I'll venture a guess it was in the millions if you take into account resources, changes made to the ULS system, reams of documents needed through lawyers, impact studies, etc.

I hope all they did was say were not going to send out paper licensee's anymore and it's a net gain but I seriously doubt it.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Braker...cmon back....

I break for mispelz.

Chip W1YW

3. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WA0TDA

WA0TDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the word braking (or breaking) was not used in the ARRL story.

5. WA0TDA

WA0TDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to http://www.wm7d.net/ and look up your callsign. Click "more detail" then "print reference copy".

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

7. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

And what wud U wanna bet? Those driver's licenses es Federal ID's will be encased in plastic too! Respectfully,G.L.Mitchell-W2MYA, West Caldwell,N.J.

8. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

That's terrific

9. W6ERM

W6ERM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm just tickled pink with a shade of green from hugging a tree right now. And this makes a bureaucracy more efficient how? This isn't breaking news.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

They can probably send you the detailed 25 page report in the mail, to explain why using the mail to send a license is not efficient.

11. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

There was an article yesterday about Iowa pursuing a virtual drivers license:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/iowa-pursues-a-virtual-drivers-license-app/?_r=0

Its not just the FCC going this way.

I actually have pictures of my license in my phone because I needed it to prove myself to EQSL a few months ago. Although I do have a copy of the smaller one in my wallet, I figured what the heck and kept them.

Its the way its going. I expect sometime in the next few years a state will come out with barcoded plates and you won't put stickers on them anymore. You won't need to because the barcode can be scanned by police cars or roadside setups and the determination instantly made if you're valid or not. No more people stealing your stickers-they will just swipe the entire plate, though they won't know if its valid :)

Renewals are all online now too. If you walk in with a renewal notice to DMV nowadays and it isn't late, they will point you to a drop box. They don't process them anymore. Allows them to reduce staff. Not that I mind. I renew online, and the last time I did it, I had my sticker in 4 days. Used to take over a month the old fashioned way....

I'm wondering if one of the people in the FCC's printing department is retiring on Feb 17th and they aren't refilling the position....

12. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

...everything changes and not always for the better.

73 John K7FD

13. N3HOE

N3HOE Ham Member QRZ Page

That alleged near quarter-million dollars to be saved in postage obviously assumes that almost no one will request an official printed copy of their license.

In reality, I would venture to guess that almost everyone WILL request an FCC-printed license document. So Mr. Bureau Chief, where is your savings now???

Sure, it all looks good in theory. But stark reality remains.

73, Alan N3HOE
    Melbourne, Florida USA

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  14. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Gradual transition. They will announce in a year that the "majority" of people have opted for the paperless option, and will phase out the printed one.

With no way to really prove if this has happened or not, it will be done.

People would scream too loud if they eliminated it now. So now they print it on standard paper, people figure they can do that themselves.

They get what they eventually want. Its the government way-set a goal, take steps to reach it.

15. KB2ANG

KB2ANG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Originally Posted by KJ6SVA [​IMG]
    Wow, they can hand out driver licenses for new immigrants and it's no big deal but they can't give us a radio license?

That we EARNED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.