ad: Flexradio-1

Breaking news: Fcc inaugurates paperless amateur radio licensing february 17

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA6ITF, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKK!!!!!

AHH! The sound of screeching tires and burning rubber!!!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;);););););)

Now time for a coffee "break".;)

2. KD8HLY

KD8HLY Ham Member QRZ Page

This must be just an Amateur radio problem,,I just received my GMRS license in the mail today !
    It seems that GMRS radio is getting popular in the area,with several repeaters being used.
    73 George

3. W4ZD

W4ZD Guest

No they did not. Maybe the ARRL should reconsider whether they really want you for a member?

4. W4ZD

W4ZD Guest

Just another nail in HAM Radio's coffin. When I was a teenager at least half of the pics in QST or related mags showed teenaged operators. Nowadays, finding a pic of any HAM under 50 is unusual in the extreme. We're a dying breed. Sad, I guess, but no one manufactures buggy whips anymore, either. Times change.

5. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Then the VEC I took my General Upgrade with is wasting paper. They had us do all of that paperwork before we started the cramming process :)

But I guess they can afford it, since I likely paid for it with the fee I paid to be there :)

6. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally like the concept of receiving a paper license but it isn't a big deal for me. But what about for those unfortunate operators that don't have internet access? (because of remote location for example)

The average age of amateur operators has increased since then so it is not surprising to see older people in the magazines.
    Although it seems QST seems to make it a point to try to put some youth picture/reference in the magazine almost every month.
    Kind of funny to think that which was once the norm is now something unusual. Just shows how things can change.

7. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

See the attached "unusual" picture of three hams in their 20s.

You can hardly go a day without reading this, but I don't think it's true that it means that hams are a "dying breed." Sure there aren't as many hams starting in their teens as there were in the 1950s and 1960s, but you see plenty of new hams in their 40s and 50s. The best opportunity for growth is among those looking for hobbies after they have families, have bought houses, and are looking for something to do with their newly available time and money.

Elevator.jpg

8. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

And the wallet card?
    We need that at times to show.
    Seems the FCC is changing the rules at will.
    Sound familiar?
    I understand it all can be verified but sometimes need the proof instantly just like showing a driver license.
    If they would just issue an official wallet card, that would be enough.
    Good luck to all of us. We need it.

9. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who do you ever need to prove that you have a license to?

The online copies generated from the ULS still have the wallet card anyway.

10. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah that's all part of their plan. You know they will have more "braking" news that will "brake" your wallet because yep you guessed it those asking for a printed copy of their license will now also be told sure for a paltry 9.95 plus postage you can have a paper copy mailed to you. You know that's what will be next. Just another way for the government to try to make more off the little guy.

11. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Law Enforcement would be the only thing that would come to my mind, if they stop you for violating the cell phone law in your state and Ham Radio has an exemption.

I have yet to have to show it to anyone myself but I carry it anyway, since I am using a licensed service, technically.

Do I have to? Probably not, but having it there reduces questions if I'm ever asked about my operating.

12. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you operate outside the USA, you are supposed to have proof that you are a licensed amateur radio operator if you operate under some sort of reciprocal operating authority. The FCC Public Notice we are supposed to carry when operating in CEPT countries puts it this way, when operating under the CEPT Radio Amateur Licence (CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01) or CEPT Novice Radio Amateur Licence [CEPT ECC Recommendation (05)06]:

It sounds like the official copy that is printed from the FCC ULS database should satisfy the "evidence of the FCC license grant" requirement. This doesn't mean anyone will care to check your papers, in terms of using your radio gear in those countries. On the other hand, when I've obtained permits in Mexico, a copy of my US amateur license is part of the paperwork I had to provide with my application for those permits (along with the completed application, a copy of my passport's ID page and copy of the "tourist card" entry visa from a Mexican Immigration office at a border crossing).

Yes, they do.

I just logged into the ULS system, and now there is an option to download all of your FCC authorizations in a single PDF file. I also hold a GMRS license and Restricted Radio Operator Permit, and my download was a 5-page PDF file. I still went in and selected the option that I want FCC to send me paper authorizations for each of my licenses/permits. It appears you can still get paper from the FCC, along with the option to download the official copies of your licenses/permits.

As for that "unusual picture" you posted here... hmmm... :)

73!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

And likewise the stereotype of us older hams, weighing in as porkers, dubiously waddling on over mashed feet,smoking ciggies between intakes of oxygen, jamming 14313 with outrageous and illegal transmissions, and complaining about every damn thing;-)!

NOT!

Chip W1YW

14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

No kidding... One could even print it on heavyweight paper. :)

Mine is filed in a plastic sheet in a red Avery binder with other Amateur Radio related docs.

I suppose I could print and frame a larger one if I was so inclined... for an "I Love Me" wall.

15. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) Certification, as well as the medical licenses in many state, went this way some time ago. You can print your own pretty picture if you like. I probably will for my new ham ticket. Not an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.