ad: elecraft

ARRL CEO Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, to Retire

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't particularly feel he needs to give a reason for his departure, but since he did, I have to wonder....If it was really due to tax issues, why in Gods name would he wait until after January 1st? Now he will have to do a 2018 return for CT. It seems a bit contrived. But again, who cares why, have a great retirement Tom. It's the best decision you've made as CEO.

N6VHF and W0FS like this.
  2. KE7AUB

KE7AUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Was not Mr. Gallagher to be a short time CEO at ARRL, originally? Perhaps he's done what he could and it's time to enjoy retirement, DX'ing, what ever? Citing the TAX changes is certainly valid. I presume Mr. Gallagher with a West Palm Beach, FL address is not living on the beach in a VW bus. FL is tax payer friendly and CT is certainly not. I certainly can understand if he decided to step down early due to the recent federal tax law changes. I'd probably do the same.

I wish him well in his retirement and appreciate some of his efforts over the past 2 years. A little bit of a 'profit corporate' view is not a complete negative thing, in a non-profit world. If his actions have left the ARRL in better financial condition for the future, then I applaud his efforts.

It is the ARRL BOD, the ethics committee and our elected officials at all ARRL levels, we must keep a very close set of eyes on going forward.

NL7W and W4JHU like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're not going to like bitter cold New England weather especially in the middle of January!

KK5R and NL7W like this.
  4. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Every two years the Directors nominate and elect a President, a First Vice President, a Second Vice President, an International Affairs Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, and a Chief Executive Officer as officers who serve on the Board of Directors."

Both Mr. Gallagher the CEO and current President, two year "terms" are up next month. The BoD would have had to "reelect" him for another two years, at this meeting of the BoD. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall. It will be interesting to see if the President is reelected for another term. I do not recall any other CEO with only one, two year term at the ARRL in modern history, and I have been an ARRL member for 57 years.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One word...... Riley.

W0FS, K6DDJ, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  6. KF7LF

KF7LF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about an organization that cares for its members next time!!

NK2U and AI7PM like this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I admire your optimism, that we'll hear anything about the meeting. Wasn't transparency one of the issues?

W0FS, NK2U and KA2K like this.
  8. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Move ARRL HQ to Lebanon Kansas, the geographical cemter of the coterminous US.

Income taxes would not be a problem>

Sam Brownback guarantees low taxes.

I have looked at pictures of the area around 44.58 W 103.46N<<the center of the US>>>>

Lots of open farmland nearby.

You could keep the W1AW callsign and setup one heck of an antenna farm around the new ARRL HQ.
    Imagine5 wavelength 80/40 meter Rhombics oriented every 30 degress around the compass!
    Or how about a 160 meter Sturba curtain array.

An antenna farm like thaiswould make the VOA xmtr sites look like kids play.
    W1AW would be a local in Oagadougou.

Laugh will you?!?!

Remember, everybody laughed at TESLA, but his inventions work!

/flame shields=on

KK5R, NL7W, K2XT and 1 other person like this.
  9. K4NDN

K4NDN Ham Member QRZ Page

May the next leader do something members can appreciate, Simplify LoTW!

KA2LIM likes this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you......

WB6RDV likes this.
  11. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good! His obvious (from his editorials) management philosophy was not what the ARRL needed.

W0FS, KA0HCP, NK2U and 7 others like this.
  12. K9YAW

K9YAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I could not agree more!

NK2U, WB6RDV and N2SUB like this.
  13. W4JHU

W4JHU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not a bad idea.

KK5R, W0FS, NK2U and 3 others like this.
  14. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might as well anticipate the westward movement of the US center of population and move it a little farther - to here in southeastern Wyoming. Lots of cheap land, beautiful vistas, low taxes, a great university, and 2 hours north of Denver. And at a nice, high altitude: 7200 feet, which is wonderful for DX propagation.

N7WR likes this.
  15. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

73 Tom. Thank you for all you've done for amateur radio and the ARRL. It's a great HOBBY and so many have lost perspective of that fact.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.