ad: QuirkyQRP-1

ARRL CEO Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, to Retire

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Riley and Fred Lloyd.
    Both of them should be on the ARRL BOD.

KK5R, W0FS and K2XT like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah but, all that white stuff! 73 Brett!

KK5R and N2SUB like this.
  3. WA1WK

WA1WK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd get behind you on this.
    I think a lot of people would.

4. W0KYZ

W0KYZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He probably has an expensive house with high property taxes that under the new tax law will limit his property tax deduction. Since he mentioned it (the new tax law), it obviously will have some financial impact on him and maybe his ability to stay in his current residence. He must have felt compelled to mention it in his retirement statement as a reason for moving. This is just me guessing.

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

The article says he represents 150,000 US amateurs.

But there are many more times that which are licensed.

I suppose the fact that fewer than 20% of US amateurs being ARRL members (if that is how they get to the 150k number) is telling.

The fact they don't appear to support 80%+ of the 'other' non-member amateurs is really saying something.

Perhaps it is saying: too expensive, too wrong on amateur political issues, and obsolete.

NK2U likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't say the amateur population is many time more than the membership.

Last report is 727,000 callsigns. However, take a look at how many are "active," or actually doing anything with their licenses; and also how many are club callsigns issued to clubs that really don't exist.

It's difficult to figure this, but I take a stab at it a couple of ways:

QRZ lookup count: If someone's been licensed >1 year and has no or nearly no QRZ lookups, good chance he or she is not really on the air.

QRZ profile page: In your zip code 98683, it is indicated there are 125 licensees, you have a lookup page and >3000 lookups. I scrolled through the first page of 40 callsigns, and five show as EXPIRED. Of the remaining 35, five have any information on their lookup page and any quantity of lookups; the remaining 30 have between 0 and a few hundred lookups, and no page contents.

As such, my guess is those 30 out of 40 probably aren't really active, on the air, making any contacts. Could be wrong, but it's an impression.

I've done this in my own zip code with similar results. Actually in my own zip code (which is geographically very small, about 4 square miles) there are 110 callsigns listed. I know every single active ham in my town, from on the air or in person or both (usually both) and there are six of us. I have no clue who the other 104 are, but some are listed as club stations -- and just because the "club" was issued a license doesn't mean there's really a club.

Do this all over the country and check the results.

I'd say if there are really 150K active hams -- doing anything with ham radio other than sitting on a license -- I'd be surprised there are that many.

W0FS and K8BZ like this.
  7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wish the ARRL would make their books affordable for the masses,
    Instead of having to wait for a 3rd hand copy to pop up on Flea-Bay...

KK5R and K3RW like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul Harvey is dead! ;)

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you're a fit!
    I'd vote for you in an instant, if I were in such a position. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And actually his stories were often embellished for entertainment value, as I discovered when he discussed a story that happened in my city. After that I paid more attention and he did it a lot.

NL7W likes this.
  11. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Relations with the FCC would improve!

12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Embellishment makes for good TV and radio! ;)

N2AMM and N0TZU like this.
  13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Published biographical info says a "home" in FL with a residence in Manhattan, and perhaps re-established in CT. No state income tax in FL, but some nasty "intangible tax" on investments.

What matters for income tax purposes is the IRS / state tax rules determined "domicile" often requiring evidence of being somewhere at least 183 days of the year, which can be tricky (you can get stuck with paying DOUBLE, two states taxes!)

Does any of that really matter? So many are just chasing the bait of the "tax" excuse for resignation. It's just a thinly veiled coincidental and convenient DISTRACTION! Just like most of the Second Century editorials have been recently. Camouflaged deception, maintaining that CoC "gag-man style" to the end, and also saving face.

Either,

1) BoD has lost confidence in the CEO and communicated such.
    2) CEO has lost faith in the BoD representing / resisting membership.
    3) It's a mutual feeling between both.

or, perhaps, just maybe, or also,

4) He's tired of BS and wants to retire and play ham radio! (69 y/young!)

The previous CEO checked out, giving nearly a years notice though, then his radio sport entries and scores SKYROCKETED !!! (atta'boy Dave! :cool:)

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    N2AMM, NY4I, KT4RK and 1 other person like this.
  14. AA5AF

AA5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad He Left the sooner the better

NK2U likes this.
  15. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess this means I'm never going to get an answer to the letter I wrote to him. I sent it not long after he started as CEO, so I figured a reply should be coming any day now...

N2AMM and N2SUB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.