ad: Flexradio-1

ARRL CEO Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, to Retire

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The big meeting is tomorrow but without a CEO running the ship in the near future, we are probably not going to hear much about any strategic future goals, leadership vision, and direction the organization is heading into the future.

This is precisely what the membership wants to hear about from the organization at this turning point in time, but with this recent departure announcement, I don't see this occurring.

Guess we wait until we hear the outcome of this meeting. This could get interesting.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    NL7W likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Allow him some dignity, rather than pick apart his 'financial" situation. His given reason is similar to the nebulous "Leaving to pursue other interests". It's a polite way of departing without creating more turmoil or slinging accusations.

KK5R, W4CHE, WN1MB and 4 others like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well he could have had another home in CT, and with a salary from a CT corporation he probably had to pay their income tax too.

But whatever. The man gave a reason and it's whatever he wants it to be. It's probably no more lame than "spending time with family".

4. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, if nothing else he is consistent. Deflective and passive aggressive to the very end. I wish him well in his future endeavors, but whatever they may be, I hope they aren't in any position where he has to relate to the public.

AC8UN likes this.
  5. K6DDJ

K6DDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, lets wait and see what happens now with those unfavorable policies and the censure. This is not over yet. It is clear they have received the QST from the membership so lets watch and see if they QSY back inside the ham bands where they belong! Oh, also, remember NOT to kick a man who is down in this thread, it is not per Queensbury Rules! We did not like the POLICIES, but leave the man alone now! Wouldn't you desire the same thing?

KK5R, WA8FOZ and W4JHU like this.
  6. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The reason doesn't really matter. What happens to the ARRL as a "member-focused" entity, after this is over, is what really counts. The final chapter is a long way away from being written.
    Hopefully this post is OK and not deleted.
    I am also considering dropping my membership when it expires.
    Thanks!

W0FS, NK2U, K8JTD and 1 other person like this.
  7. WA8ZZL

WA8ZZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Precisely.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or he is astute enough to recognize that the membership does not agree with his policies and methods and that it is better for him to leave and find a job with a better fit. Why criticise his decision to leave?

KK5R, W0FS and W4JHU like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So the question now is: Who is on the short list for the new CEO?

NL7W and KT4NR like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That kinda jumped out at me also reading his bio in the original post for me personally conveys some other insight will just let it go at that.

11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that's going to be the buzz at the big meeting tomorrow.

KK5R and NL7W like this.
  12. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in need of a new JOB!!!
    HOW do I apply for the position?
    Not that I really want to move to CT
    I would hafta buy a COAT!!!

NL7W and K2XT like this.
  13. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Properly run companies usually (or should) have a progression plan in place for situations like this.

NK2U likes this.
  14. K8TE

K8TE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL future is what matters now. The Board of Directors runs the show. The CEO works for them. Ascribing motives to someone's behavior without knowing them is unwise at best. Let's see what the BoD does next. Our Director told me he would vote down recent changes that impinge upon transparency and lack of democracy (representative governance)

73, Bill, K8TE

W0FS, W4GCH, W4JHU and 1 other person like this.
  15. KD9CLH

KD9CLH Ham Member QRZ Page

No-nonsense kind of guy who was head of an organization in which everyone thought they could be the CEO. Stepped on a lot of toes, to be sure. Good for Tom! Best of luck to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.