ad: LZQSLprint-1

Yaesu FTM-500D Announced

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI5SAI, Feb 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lol. Every amateur VHF/UHF radio I have ever gone mobile with suffers from that.

Either way, this radio seems interesting.

Currently don’t really have a need for it, but when has that stopped anyone in this hobby before?

We’ll see how things go with it, I currently use the FTM-400XDR in the shack and an Icom ID-5100A mobile, I could see replacing the 5100 with this one at some point.

The “new rig pricing” needs to come way down before that happens though.

Does anyone know if this new rig will offer two speaker outputs, for the A side and the B side like the 5100?

That is one thing Yaesu has been missing the boat on. I have to use a splitter cable to get the A side to come out of one speaker and the B side to come out another speaker in the shack and even with that the speaker isolation is not 100% good.

Unlike my 5100 that has A and B side speaker jacks that separates both audio outputs. Works great in allowing you to intelligibly monitor both sides of the radio simultaneously!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    VK5OHR likes this.
  2. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    KE0GXN likes this.
  3. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K8XG likes this.
  4. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully this solves the problem of the 400's push pull audio that needs that splitter or a special Yeasu only external speaker.

The 400's will "thump" the internal or external speaker when the Squelch breaks even with the volume at zero. I had 3 of them and now two and they all due it even at latest firmware. Gets on me when band B is on APRS and Volume is at zero but you keep hearing the Speaker thump when a packet comes it.

KE0GXN likes this.
  5. N6ZBC

N6ZBC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My FTM-300DR has A and B external speaker jacks that I use for two quality commercial radio speakers. Audio sounds great, and there's no hiss or noise when signals are not being received. Plenty of volume, even at low settings.

6. KE6HVN

KE6HVN Ham Member QRZ Page

“Available April”

I suppose Yaesu will have to update their available date on the website once again. They should probably just say “pending FCC approval” instead of leading us on.

7. KI5SAI

KI5SAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, HRO does have one they showed in a video. Another popular youtuber has one too. So, they have made it state-side.

8. KE6HVN

They are Demo units straight from Yaesu to spin up the retailers.

I wonder if they actually have them but cannot sell or advertise yet though.

9. N1PCZ

N1PCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRO sold me one. Delivery by May 31. It is even on their website for sale.

10. KE6HVN

They must have dropped today then. I looked this AM on all the usual suspects and all were pre-order status.

11. N1PCZ

N1PCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I think I know what happened. I purchased mine an April 13th! You see, I had purchased the pre-order version about a week earlier. They must have had a lot of those to work through.

12. WA7VBA

WA7VBA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got the call from HRO today that mine is ready for pick up. Will go get it first thing in the morning!

N1PCZ and KI5SAI like this.
  13. KI5SAI

KI5SAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Post pictures!

WA7VBA likes this.
  14. WA7VBA

WA7VBA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got it home and hooked it all up. Using it as my base VHF/UHF radio in the shack. Now to learn how to use this thing!

PXL_20230429_192606292.jpg
    PXL_20230429_193138093.jpg
    PXL_20230429_193346202.jpg

N1PCZ and KI5SAI like this.
  15. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page