ad: HamHats-1

Yaesu FTM-500D Announced

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI5SAI, Feb 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5SAI

KI5SAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu hasn't really given us the value proposition. From their website posting, one would think that it has better audio, is easier to use, and will be available at the end of March! So, there you go.

N1PCZ likes this.
  2. KE6HVN

KE6HVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Date of released has been pushed back into April. ;)o_O

KI5SAI likes this.
  3. N6ZBC

N6ZBC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be a good successor for a FTM-400.

5. KI5SAI

Hmm, probably a replacement for the 300. Folks that bought the 400 did more so for the screen size, I should think. That said, this is a very high-end radio head unit. Hope to hear about the actual features soon.

Someone sent me a PM message linking to the FCC submission. Here it is.

6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are right. I own a FTM-400 and the size of the display is in the diagonal 9cm and with the new FTM-500 I read, it should be around 6cm diagonal. But the display got some new features, like to touch at the signalpeaks to change fast the frequency. With the FTM-400 the knobs are to use and this way is much to slow for to catch a short CQ or something else. So Yaesu gave the new device more a mobile character. The FTM-400 is best usable in the homeshack, thats why I bought it in the past. And I dont want to change.

7. K0JXM

K0JXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like the FCC approved the device on 3/30. (here) I wonder how long it will take Yaesu to start marketing the FTM-500 here in the US. After watching everything that I can see on this, I think I'm going to forego the FTM-500 and pick up an FTM-200 for my new bronco (assuming it ever actually gets built). I just don't see the cost benefit for my use case.

8. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh NO not another Wide-Receiver!

INTERMOD

KE0GXN likes this.
  9. N6ZBC

10. N6ZBC

11. KI5SAI

MSRP, so street $500?

12. N6ZBC

Due to demand and limited supply, I think the actual sales price is going to remain at $650 for a while, unless Yaesu offers coupons, maybe for Hamvention next month.

13. N1PCZ

N1PCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRO just called me, their price is $649.

KQ4MUL and KI5SAI like this.
  14. N1PCZ

N1PCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I placed my order today. HRO says delivery by May 31, yikes! However, the good news is that there is some undisclosed number of them being sent by air to various retailers, so there is a chance you'll get one before May 31.

KI5SAI likes this.
  15. VK3ACZ

VK3ACZ Ham Member QRZ Page

$899 Aussie dollars…
    Do-able.
    Still slightly less to part with as compared to the I-Com 52 colour screen hand-held… just sayin…