Yaesu FT-70DR Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3WHU

VA3WHU Ham Member QRZ Page

what is the best option to program this unit

2. W7KDG

W7KDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, my only complaint too. Try driving and adjusting the volume ! 73 W7KDG

3. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the RT Systems software to program mine (and my other radios as well). Really makes things simple especially if you're programing a lot of freqs or making changes fairly often.

N6USC likes this.
  4. K4EAE

K4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great radio, easy to program from face of radio. I bought it for a way to try-out C4FM and WiresX. I agree the battery should be 2000-3000mah.

N6USC likes this.
  5. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all

I went thru all posts here and I am a bit surprised with so many complaints about the battery life of 70...

We have one 70DE at home, went thru menu to turn off all unnecessary features, increase Batt.Save from default 0.2 to 0.5 (now we are testing also setting to 1), power level set to mid (if not needed higher) or even to low when local chats and we have no problem to keep rig alive 5-8hrs...
    Yes, we have other radios with batt lasting longer but it does not make an issue to us.

The cons is impossibility to charge it while running and two-hand volume ctrl is a bit in-practicle let say...

In general its not bad.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

Btw: Did you ever measured the real power in mid and high steps? It is not Chinese 1.5W and 5W power (which is corresponding to 0.5 W and 2W in reality) We measured on calibrated R&S NAS power meter over 3.5W/mid and over 7.5W/high set on 2m band (combined uncertainty +/- 5% for k=2) with fully charged battery pack.

6. OK1RP

There is so many missunderstandings about FT-70DR/DE...

Be noted:
    - 70 does not support batt charging while radio is ON
    - 1-9 bar indicating feature is supported only on US ver. 70DR
    - charging on display and red led is indicated then green led when ching finished is on 70DE only
    - Wires X is not supported with early f/w rev. of radios
    - mid power is about 3W although LOW is indicated in RX...do not swap with low 0.8W lvl!
    (both Low/Mid are indicated by LOW on disp in RX mode! Check bars in TX for proper setting)

Recommended:
    - update to latest f/w rev. 1.11 if not presented in radio yet
    FT-70DR/FT-70DE MAIN Ver. 1.11

It is adding features and fixing bugs:
    • The WIRES-X connection function is added
    • Added the DG-ID setting for the WIRES-X node station connection to the set mode menu (Set
      Mode: 63: W-DGID).
    • Corrected a rare case incomplete charge, and error indication, when charging a completely
      discharged battery.
      If you already have Main Ver. V1.11 firmware versions, it is not necessary to update the FT- 70DR/FT-70DE again.

Recommended Menu settings:

4 - OFF
      8 - OFF
      28 - 2SEC
      48 - 1S
      51 - OFF

73 - Petr, OK1RP

7. G4IRX

G4IRX Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't tried it with Chirp but I definitely have an issue when I enter, for example 145.2875 it got rounded down to 145.275. I think I worked around this by reading one I had programmed in manually then cutting and pasting. I'll take another look next time I use ADMS.

8. OK1RP

Hi all

just FYI > lot of people said "no, it is not possible" to set radio for different rx and tx frequency in order to hop from 70cm to 2m while pressing ptt ...for example typical setup for satellite operation.

I can say YES, it is possible! Even although FT-70D has single VFO only, it is possible to use it for comfortable satellite operation with receiving on 70cm downlink then while pressing ptt transmitting on 2m band upling.

Maybe I will make some short video about that setting.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

9. KB4MSZ

KB4MSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t know if this would apply to other Yaesu HT’s, but with my VX-8DR I accidently found that the main knob can be assigned to control just volume. I did this by pressing the VOL button and then pressing the F button. The volume level indicator will blink as it usually does when adjusting the volume. But with the right combination of F key and VOL key the volume level indicators will continuously blink. Now the radio is in volume control mode with the main knob. Be sure to have the desired memory channel(s) already selected as the main knob no longer controls memory selection. I have managed to turn this feature on and off a number of times and while I still haven’t pinned down exactly what combination of F and VOL keys set it up, it does eventually work. I have never read of this feature in any of the Yaesu manuals.

10. W2MIX

W2MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, read the manual and set the battery saver! Everyone I know is getting 8hrs+ on this HT set on .06s. Set it higher if you want more, turn off the lights. This HT has one of the best mic and recv audio out there. It is made in Japan not China. I will never own another PooFlung in my life, they can't hear. Best bang for the buck!

K8XG likes this.