ad: k1jek

Yaesu FT-70DR Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

I also found that the battery indicator shows level worse than it really is. Yaesu or a 3rd-party battery supplier could easily double the battery thickness and yet retain a reasonably slim profile and remain comfortable in the hand. If Yaesu doesn't do it, someone else will -- probably on eBay. Necessity is still the mother of invention.

I am now using my FT-70DR with the SharkRF OpenSpot2 hotspot. One can use the FT-70's low transmit power setting which improves battery life and still get good range around the immediate neighborhood. The OpenSpot2 works so well that Yaesu could add a fourth ultra-low-power transmit setting of say 50-100 mW. That would substantially extend battery life in between charges for users like me who are gravitating more toward hotspot devices.

KC2OXJ likes this.
  2. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not a question of the price itself; it is a question of how the manufacturer respects its customers. Why do we need to buy something for a kit considered to be complete? Does the manufacturer intentionally sell incomplete (de facto) kit to hide real higher price and/or to force new buyer to spend more and more? I had got same stupidity with ID-51 and want no Icoms anymore. Yaesu is on the same way. Better buy TH-D74A; its (higher) price is honest as you’ll get everything you need right out of the box. I mean at least you’ll get an usable battery.

3. K4FIL

K4FIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with others on the battery , does not last 1/4 the time it should, definitely a bad design.

4. WP4AL

WP4AL Ham Member QRZ Page

I purshase model ft 70d and the battery dosent last long. My friends purshase the same radio has the battery problem.

5. GI4SZW

GI4SZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my FT70d about 2 months now and while I agree the battery wouldn't last all day on high power but I get the performance I need one low power into a hotspot which is exactly the use I bought it for. The audio both in rx and tx is excellent and the ease of programming is a plus, compared to Dstar it's a gift,,, I would recommend this radio for light use into a hotspot but not for high power use into repeaters etc,,,,,, cheers and beers from Ireland,,, GI4SZW / EI4KE

KC2OXJ likes this.
  6. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one, and I love it.

The battery is an issue, but if you up the RX Save to 3 seconds, and plug it in when you are not using it, you can get 8-10 hours of moderate use, and all day on standby receive.

It drains excessively when turned off is the main problem. Someone measured the current drain.

Best bang for your buck hand held out there right now at $139....if you are into fusion especially.

Do those two things, and get one extra battery for $40 and your set.

KC2OXJ likes this.
  7. K7IU

K7IU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I simply could not resist getting one of these, given it’s low price and C4FM capability. First, I’m sure that Yaesu and/or a 3rd party will come out with higher capacity batteries. Second if Fusion or WIRES-X is of interest to you, this is a VERY inexpensive way to try it out. You have to give Yaesu some credit for coming out with a very inexpensive repeater that not only had a digital mode, but is backwards compatible with analog FM. And then following that up with a very inexpensive radio that lets you try out their digital mode.
    I know that there are a lot of very very cheap DMR radios out there but how many DMR repeaters are in your neighborhood that are ACTIVE, ACTIVELY USED and support DMR AND Analog users!
    I see the FT-70D as a way to introduce new hams to digital, and the digital capabilities of C4FM and WIRES-x without breaking their piggy banks.

8. N1ART

N1ART Guest

My review, the radio is great except no wideband receive like the FT-60R and it lacks a battery that lasts, nor can you even buy an aftermarket one that fits the radio.Why the big three don't sell a 3000maH Ht battery is beyond me!

9. K4EAE

K4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Come-up with a replacement battery 3800 MAH, for all day net or emcom usage.

10. VE3TMG

VE3TMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought one a year ago and my battery last way longer than an hour !! I would recommend this rig to anyone.

11. VA3WHU

VA3WHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what is the best option to program this unit

12. W7KDG

W7KDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, my only complaint too. Try driving and adjusting the volume ! 73 W7KDG

13. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the RT Systems software to program mine (and my other radios as well). Really makes things simple especially if you're programing a lot of freqs or making changes fairly often.

N6USC likes this.
  14. K4EAE

K4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great radio, easy to program from face of radio. I bought it for a way to try-out C4FM and WiresX. I agree the battery should be 2000-3000mah.

N6USC likes this.
  15. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all

I went thru all posts here and I am a bit surprised with so many complaints about the battery life of 70...

We have one 70DE at home, went thru menu to turn off all unnecessary features, increase Batt.Save from default 0.2 to 0.5 (now we are testing also setting to 1), power level set to mid (if not needed higher) or even to low when local chats and we have no problem to keep rig alive 5-8hrs...
    Yes, we have other radios with batt lasting longer but it does not make an issue to us.

The cons is impossibility to charge it while running and two-hand volume ctrl is a bit in-practicle let say...

In general its not bad.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

Btw: Did you ever measured the real power in mid and high steps? It is not Chinese 1.5W and 5W power (which is corresponding to 0.5 W and 2W in reality) We measured on calibrated R&S NAS power meter over 3.5W/mid and over 7.5W/high set on 2m band (combined uncertainty +/- 5% for k=2) with fully charged battery pack.