ad: Sussex-1

Yaesu FT-70DR Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

There is so many missunderstandings about FT-70DR/DE...

Be noted:
    - 70 does not support batt charging while radio is ON
    - 1-9 bar indicating feature is supported only on US ver. 70DR
    - charging on display and red led is indicated then green led when ching finished is on 70DE only
    - Wires X is not supported with early f/w rev. of radios
    - mid power is about 3W although LOW is indicated in RX...do not swap with low 0.8W lvl!
    (both Low/Mid are indicated by LOW on disp in RX mode! Check bars in TX for proper setting)

Recommended:
    - update to latest f/w rev. 1.11 if not presented in radio yet
    FT-70DR/FT-70DE MAIN Ver. 1.11

It is adding features and fixing bugs:
    • The WIRES-X connection function is added
    • Added the DG-ID setting for the WIRES-X node station connection to the set mode menu (Set
      Mode: 63: W-DGID).
    • Corrected a rare case incomplete charge, and error indication, when charging a completely
      discharged battery.
      If you already have Main Ver. V1.11 firmware versions, it is not necessary to update the FT- 70DR/FT-70DE again.

Recommended Menu settings:

4 - OFF
      8 - OFF
      28 - 2SEC
      48 - 1S
      51 - OFF

73 - Petr, OK1RP

2. G4IRX

G4IRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't tried it with Chirp but I definitely have an issue when I enter, for example 145.2875 it got rounded down to 145.275. I think I worked around this by reading one I had programmed in manually then cutting and pasting. I'll take another look next time I use ADMS.

3. OK1RP

Hi all

just FYI > lot of people said "no, it is not possible" to set radio for different rx and tx frequency in order to hop from 70cm to 2m while pressing ptt ...for example typical setup for satellite operation.

I can say YES, it is possible! Even although FT-70D has single VFO only, it is possible to use it for comfortable satellite operation with receiving on 70cm downlink then while pressing ptt transmitting on 2m band upling.

Maybe I will make some short video about that setting.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

4. KB4MSZ

KB4MSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t know if this would apply to other Yaesu HT’s, but with my VX-8DR I accidently found that the main knob can be assigned to control just volume. I did this by pressing the VOL button and then pressing the F button. The volume level indicator will blink as it usually does when adjusting the volume. But with the right combination of F key and VOL key the volume level indicators will continuously blink. Now the radio is in volume control mode with the main knob. Be sure to have the desired memory channel(s) already selected as the main knob no longer controls memory selection. I have managed to turn this feature on and off a number of times and while I still haven’t pinned down exactly what combination of F and VOL keys set it up, it does eventually work. I have never read of this feature in any of the Yaesu manuals.

5. W2MIX

W2MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, read the manual and set the battery saver! Everyone I know is getting 8hrs+ on this HT set on .06s. Set it higher if you want more, turn off the lights. This HT has one of the best mic and recv audio out there. It is made in Japan not China. I will never own another PooFlung in my life, they can't hear. Best bang for the buck!

M7FDJ and K8XG like this.
  6. N2MTB

N2MTB Ham Member QRZ Page

My battery lasts throughout my 8 shift at work. .....set the battery saver option,goofs.

W2MIX likes this.
  7. OK1RP

Exactly! The setting 0.6 (not o.06) to 0.8s is good setting for acceptable battery lasting.
    73 - Petr, OK1RP

W2MIX likes this.
  8. W2MIX

I stand corrected, 0.6 is correct. Thanks! It's a great low cost feature packed radio and has a useful place with my 3-FTM400's, HRI-200 and FT2DR (especially with the new PDN firmware).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    N2MTB likes this.
  9. KD4BEE

KD4BEE Ham Member QRZ Page

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    Petr,
    I read your comment about the inability or impossibility to charge while the radio is on so I did some testing because that was a big issue for me. I ran the battery down (didn't take long) and left it on while plugging in the charger. Low and behold, after a little while, it was fully charged! So, I'm happy about that. Overall for the price that I paid while it was on sale, I'm very happy with it.
    73 de KD4BEE

10. CX3BZ

CX3BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to program the memories in this handheld in order to work crossband satellite frequencies.

I have found the instruction for split function.
    I've learned that it has 2 memory modes, cross band and offset, offset mode does not work for cross band, you must use cross band memory mode.

The issue is I can't find the memory mode instructions or procedure to enter the required frequencies.

Thanks in advance
    CX3BZ

11. W5DSS

W5DSS QRZ Lifetime Member #365 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am a new Ham. Awaiting an icom-7300 I am setting up but I am trying to use a Yaesu FT-70D with an upgraded Diamond SRH320A antenna. I can hear only when in digital mode. I am on the Texas Nexxus (DN) repeater. I can hear perfectly but people can rarely hear me and most of the time it is too jumbled to have a conversation. Suggestions?

12. W2MIX

It might be that you are not reaching the repeater. You will typically hear much further than you can xmit with a HT mounted antenna, not sure how far away you are from it. That's the good and bad about digital, it's all or nothing receive with no popcorn in between. I too have that same radio and antenna, but I have found the Diamond SRH77CA to be superior.

13. W5DSS

W5DSS QRZ Lifetime Member #365 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks W2MIX. I will check out that antenna. Good information. I figured I was either doing something wrong or might not be reaching it. I was hoping to be able to do Function-AMS to have it auto join Wires-x but there is not one it can find. Which is odd because I was told I had one 1.5 miles away.

W2MIX likes this.
  14. WD4ET

WD4ET Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I am late to this party. I have had Yaesu small form factor HTs for MANY years. I still use a VX-5 that is 20+ years old. I use it regularly. I started using Fusion about a year and a half ago. The FT-70D was my first. A local ham ended up with an extra FT2D and I purchased one of his.

I am going to change the battery saver setting to see if that helps battery life on the 70D. It IS terrible. What is even worse is the charge time with the wall charger! All day! I have heard the desk charger is better. Maybe I will try that.

I really like Yaesu products. They just didn't think the 70D through very well.

PS. Another thought: I have a FTM-400DX. I despise the mandatory detached head. Pretty good radio otherwise.

de Jeff, WD4ET

15. YL3IM

YL3IM Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone experienced sort of micro fractures on the led indicator plastic? Like in this video: