ad: ProAudio-1

Would you be willing to share 10m with CB?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4INU, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This can be done and enforced. Try to go buy a hand gun almost any where, and those companies are still in business and doing well.. do we want to wait 2 weeks to pick up the new radio... hmmmmmm,, N6AJR tom

2. M5LRO

M5LRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there is a question.

My answer is NO!.I do, however, feel that there are a great many folk on the 11 meter band. This is the primary reason for these guys getting hold of 10 meter mobile radios.
    They then convert them to run on 11 meters & bingo.
    I dare say that some of them stray up into the 10 meter band because their radio can go there.

Now, there are a lot of really nice ops on 11 meters, I should know, I used to be one of them. I took the test & have not been back there since, but, there are a lot of folk who would, in my opinion, be most welcome on the Amateur bands provided they had license to do so.

I feel, ladies & gentlemen that there are things that, we as amatuers, could learn from the 11 meter crowd. The mainstream ops are very professional, they organise major activations like IOTA, produce the most splendid QSL cards I have ever seen but, are nevertheless not licenced? Or, indeed are they? I know a good few ops who have their Ham ticket but prefer to work 11 meters.

Now that seems a waste of hard work to me, so perhaps we should be trying to get them to study for the ticket so that they can use the radio legally.

Here in the UK there is no 11 meter band with exception to the very poor CB frequencies which we have, 4 watts FM. It is full of idiots & therefore the next available area is the 11 meter SSB band. Next step is to get a 'good' radio such as a 10 meter mobile. Indeed a lot of guys here are proud owners of top flight Yaesu's, Icom's & Kenwood's, & yep some of them have antenna farms we would be proud of.

So as we can see there are reasons that they are there & as in most cases of folk doing things what I can only call 'mildly Illegal' there is a reason. This reason is that there is no middle ground. I feel that there is enough people operating in 11 meters for there to be an international band allocated. That part of the radio spectrum must already be pretty useless becuase they are already there.

There is & has been for too long a big gap between the CBer & the HF Ham ticket. This is being improved with the lowering of the CW test speed but, then again, that does not make good or bad operators.
    The use of Callsigns generally makes us Hams professional in our hobby because we are accountable for our actions. We are in the main self policing which solves a lot of problems. So perhaps licencing & therefore self regulation would be the answer. Licence revenue would earn each government income for what is a wasted part of the spectrum & is currently too crowded to be policed economically.

I think this would eliminate the 'freebander' 'pirate's' or whatever you wish to call them & hopefully through extending the hand of friendship allow the more professional ops to join us - I for one would make them very welcome.
    They are currenty scared off by the complexity of the Exams & the CW test.

Well the exams are easier than before but being able to make your own SWR bridge does not make good ops. I do not need to know how to repair my Mercedes when it goes wrong to be a good driver.

The point there is lets teach better operating, & as the interst in the hobby grows then one will develop the skills to be able to persue the electronice side.

I have only been licenced for 6 months but have already been tuned over, blocked keyed over for whatever reasons. When the announcment came that M5 calls were given full licence priviliges as of October 1st I had a hellish time of it due to annoyed & frustrated 'G's who knew of now other way to air their frustation. Of course the minority always spoil it for the majority but the point is the system will never prevent idiots.

We have to put up with tuners all the time, I was taught about tuning up elsewhere or get a load, so I am sure has everyone else!!! Rest my case.

No - to making them welcome on 10 meters but -Yes to offering them an alternative & trying to get them to join us - with a licence.

73 all
    Chris
    M5LRO

3. M5LRO

M5LRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there is a question. My answer is NO! not without a licence.

I do, however, feel that there are a great many folk on the 11 meter band. This is the primary reason for these guys getting hold of 10 meter mobile radios. They then convert them to run on 11 meters & bingo. I dare say that some of them stray up into the 10 meter band because their radio can go there. Now, there are a lot of really nice ops on 11 meters, I should know, I used to be one of them. I took the test & have not been back there since, but, there are a lot of folk who would, in my opinion, be most welcome on the Amateur bands provided they had license to do so. I feel, ladies & gentlemen that there are things that, we as amateurs, could learn from the 11 meter crowd.

The mainstream ops are very professional, they organise major activations like IOTA, produce the most splendid QSL cards I have ever seen but, are nevertheless not licensed? Or, indeed are they? I know a good few ops who have their Ham ticket but prefer to work 11 meters. Now that seems a waste of hard work to me, so perhaps we should be trying to get them to study for the ticket so that they can use the radio legally. Here in the UK there is no 11 meter band with exception to the very poor CB frequencies which we have, 4 watts FM. It is full of idiots & therefore the next available area is the 11 meter SSB band. Next step is to get a 'good' radio such as a 10 meter mobile. Indeed a lot of guys here are proud owners of top flight Yaesu's, Icom's & Kenwood's, & yep some of them have antenna farms we would be proud of.

So as we can see there are reasons that they are there & as in most cases of folk doing things what I can only call 'mildly Illegal' there is a reason. This reason is that there is no middle ground. I feel that there is enough people operating in 11 meters for there to be an international band allocated. That part of the radio spectrum must already be pretty useless because they are already there. There is & has been for too long a big gap between the CBer & the HF Ham ticket. This is being improved with the lowering of the CW test speed but, then again, that does not make good or bad operators. The use of Call signs generally makes us Hams professional in our hobby because we are accountable for our actions. We are in the main self policing which solves a lot of problems. So perhaps licensing & therefore self regulation would be the answer. Licence revenue would earn each government income for what is a wasted part of the spectrum & is currently too crowded to be policed economically.

I think this would eliminate the 'freebander' 'pirate's' or whatever you wish to call them & hopefully through extending the hand of friendship allow the more professional ops to join us - I for one would make them very welcome. They are currently scared off by the complexity of the Exams & the CW test. Well the exams are easier than before but being able to make your own SWR bridge does not make good ops. I do not need to know how to repair my Mercedes when it goes wrong to be a good driver.

The point there is lets teach better operating, & as the interest in the hobby grows then one will develop the skills to be able to peruse the electronics side. I have only been licensed for 6 months but have already been tuned over, blocked keyed over for whatever reasons.
    When the announcement came that M5 calls were given full licence privileges as of October 1st I had a hellish time of it due to annoyed & frustrated 'G's who knew of now other way to air their frustration but to tune over me for a few days, till things died down. Of course the minority always spoil it for the majority but the point is the system will never prevent idiots.
    We have to put up with tuners all the time, I was taught about tuning up elsewhere or get a load, so I am sure has everyone else!!! Rest my case. No - to making them welcome on 10 meters but -Yes to offering them an alternative & trying to get them to join us - with a licence. 73 all Chris M5LRO

4. Guest

Guest Guest

M5LRO is living proof that there is a huge difference between CB in the UK on the one hand and those flea infested retarded green-toothed inbred perverted sister-chasing Bubbas "farrn up dem lainyers" here in the U.S., on the other.

5. K7PIG

K7PIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur operator's sharing amateur frequencies with ILLEGALS? I cannot believe what I read, sharing 10m with Law Violator's? You MUST condone violating U.S. Federal Law.

PART 97.101(d): Read it.
    When I hear the Illegals operating on 10m, "I JAM THEM." Provided and only one provision:"IT's NOT AN EMERGENCY COMMUNICATION." Got that blessing from Mr. Riley Hollingsworth himself, "I'M NOT IN VIOLATION of the stated rule per Mr. Riley Hollingsworth." "THEY-CB'ers have no right to be transmitting on the Amateur Bands without the proper license."

YOU desire to talk with the FILTHIEST FOUL MOUTHED BASTARD'S ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH? THE CESSPOOL OF SOCIETY? ILLEGALS?

If you want the desire to SHARE frequencies with Illegal's, Foul Mouth's, Freebander's then get out of Ham Radio-join the Illegal's on their frequencies, "SPECIAL DISPENSATION."

6. KA1OGM

KA1OGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Selling non-type accepted radios is against federal law. The FCC has been busting these sources of "export" radios and illegal linear amplifiers all along, wherever complaints have been made about it. You spent all that time "investigating" all this illegal marketing activity, and then come HERE to piss and moan about it???? Why didn't you send everything you gathered to the FCC?

Jeff

KA1OGM

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Chris is dead right he speaks with experince & wisdom,get this man in the top job radio hams need people like chris to promote the hobby,well done chris.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

No it is not a good thing. I think we need better enforcement, stiffer fines, and for those who use "fake" callsigns which happen to be someone's legal callsign, let them pay a $25,000 damage for identity abuse!

10M isn't the only place either. We have observed illegals even on PSK. Some were using fake callsigns such as K4QSX! Now that's a dead give away...a "Q" signal in a callsign!

We can't reasonably expect the FCC to do it all. And "jamming" is illegal because it is a one way transmission. But we can observe, record, and triangulate to find the offenders, then give the FCC the amunition they need to get them off the air.

Further, I think radio sale should require a look at the FCC "paper". Just something simple, look at the license, write down the callsign, write down the serial of the equipment, and turn it in once a year. That will stop 95% of the illegal ops. And if a retailer is selling ham gear that is illegal, shut him down.

Th,th,th,that's all folks!

9. K1LI

K1LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Spot on.

10. WG8W

WG8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree! Those 10 Meter C.B.'s should not be sold by truck stops or anyone else that is not an Amateur Radio supplier. Also I firmly believe that any amateur radio transceivers should NOT be sold to anyone not holding an amateur radio license issued by the FCC. I would also like to see the FCC crack down on truckers and others using the 10 meter band illegally. Make the fines large and also confiscate the equipment from violaters. We all worked hard for our ham license and do not want bootleggers on our bands, especially 10 meters. KICK THEM OUT!!
    Rod

11. tomahawk1

tomahawk1 Banned

You can't mean to tell me that the problem is ignorance. I'm a ham, but I got my start in CB back in the Seventies. One of the first things you pick up through the grapevine, as a freebander is where no-man's-land ends and where the amateur bands begin. We all knew not to cross the line at 28 MHz. What I was told was that I'm safe and most likely won't get caught as long as I keep it below 28 MHz. I was also told that the hams would report me to the FCC if I dared to transmit above 28 MHz. I took that as a solemn warning. None of us dared to venture into 10m.

Times were different back then. There weren't any 10m rigs yet. Some of the CB's would go into the lower 100 KHz of the 10m band after modification. You also either had to know how to modify radios or be willing to pay to have it done. Today's 10m rigs just require moving a couple of jumpers, and instructions can be found on the Internet. The old CB rigs weren't broadbanded either. If you wanted maximum power and reception in the regular 40 and up to 40 above, power and reception would severely drop off in the 10m region. These days, with broadbanded 10m rigs, there is no power and reception sacrifice. The 10m rigs of today will operate the same on 29 MHz as they will on 26 MHz, and everywhere in between.

Also, I think people are bolder today than 20-25 years ago. In addition to being bold on 10m, they are also using much more power than 20-25 years ago. Back then, if you were using 100 watts, it was a lot. Now, the sky is the limit (or should I say your electric bill and your ability to pay it is your limit).

Because of the wholesale incursions on 10m these days, those who wouldn't have dared years ago are now being bold enough figuring that its safe and they won't get caught either. The mindset seems to be the same as freebanding. Once they feel safe, there's no stopping them. Just as freebanders took 27.41-27.99 by storm, they feel safe doing the same with 10m. Today I am a ham, so I am able to look at this from both sides of the fence.

The only way to stop the pirates from colonizing 10m is for the FCC to take the problem very seriously and go on an all-out campaign against it. The worst thing that ever happened to ham radio was manufacturing 10m radios. Hams know how to put CB's on 10m if they want something mobile. We didn't need 10m radios. The FCC needs to start by outlawing the manufacture of 10m rigs. They need to make the sale of existing 10m rigs illegal to anyone who isn't licensed to use them--especially to start busting the truck stops and CB shops. They need to start busting the Internet dealers also. Wholesale enforcement on the air (with the help of the ham community of course) is essential.

No task, no matter how unmanageable it may seem, is impossible. Our president is proving this with his war against terrorism. Sometimes it literally takes having a building (or two) fall on you to make you wake up. The embassy bombings and the USS Cole bombing wasn't enough. We literally had to have a couple of buildings fall on us to wake us up. Now we're doing something about terrorism. We amateurs are also experiencing another form of terrorism on our bands. We shouldn't wait until it is too late to wake up. Are you listening, Riley?

12. K8ZY

K8ZY Guest

What we need is some support from the fcc to defend our territory. Perhaps we could get some authority to police and prosecute tresspassers. Although arresting would have to be a job for local police agencies, we could do the detective work and file the complaints to the proper authorities. I think this would be more fun than a fox hunt, and maybe we could request a portion of the fines go toward our expenses.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes. And unfortunately W7SNS is right. This is EXACTLY what is happening right now. And NOTHING is done about it! "'The law' doesn't say unlicensed people can't buy the radio, just that they cannot operate it it!" If this is true then we need a new law, don't you think?

14. N4INU

N4INU QRZ Member QRZ Page

Hello Jeff. The radios in question are sold as "10m Amateur transceivers", not as "11m type accepted CB transceivers". Thus the truck stops and CB shops are "legal" although only in the technical sense of that term. TNX your reply...N4INU

15. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been around the HF bands both as an 11M freebander and later as a Tech for going on 30 years now. I've always been amazed at how relatively little traffic I hear on both the 10 and 15 meter ham bands when they are open. These are large bands easily capable of medium to around-the-world distances (so they should be popular), and yet many times they are mostly quiet. The Tech-Plus portion of 10M (28.3-28.5) sees good use but WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GENERAL AND UP CODE MONGERS who are around here constantly moaning and crying about this and that. If ya'll would spend HALF the time USING these bands, occupying them with interesting conversations and working DX, as you do here bellyaching all the time, then you might be able to provide me some extra encouragement to study that God forsaken noise again, but for now I don't see the point and will continue to wait for 2003 (and freedom).......You guys tired of illegals on ANY ham band. Then get in there with your buddies and TALK and occupy the spectrum yourselves and they won't be able to be there for lack of space, will move back down to within the borders of 11M, where you can promtly forget about them. Out of speaker, out of mind. I really can't believe you want to sit around and complain about hearing illegals on YOUR band when YOU'RE sitting there not trying to use it yourself. 10M above 28.5, "owned" by you generals and up, sits there in fookin' silence as does much of 15M. Turn on your rigs, pick up you mics, and fix this problem yourselves.....and to the comment above me, the fellow formerly from NY who went around vandalizing people's property, please stay in Fla., don't come to Georgia, and you're precisely the type of moron who gives New Yorkers a bad name. They probably kicked you out of the state as a condition of your sentance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.