ad: Alphaant-1

Would you be willing to share 10m with CB?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4INU, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Subject: Message To My Pirate Radio Brothers
    Group: alt.radio.pirate
    Date: Sun, Dec 9, 2001 10:41 PM
    Message-id:

"As some of you may know there is a pitched battle going on between the
    forces of free radio and the FCC. What some of you may not know is that
    vigilantism and hysteria by ham radio operators is at an all time high, the
    flames fanned by jealous no-code types like Leland Scott, KC8LDO and Douglas
    Adair, N8WWM who have taken it upon themselves to police free speech in the
    rec.radio.cb newsgroup. This muckraking, while misdirected, has the potential
    to restrict sales of 10 meter radio equipment to freebanders. Freebanders are
    radio operators who pursue their hobby outside of normal channels. I am
    asking all pirate radio brethern and friends of free radio to post in
    rec.radio.cb in support of us. With the vast numbers of us matriculating to
    10 meters there is no force on earth that can stop us and eventually our
    liberated version of the hobby will spread to other parts of the spectrum, as
    does yours. Most hams do not listen to the 10 meter band and that is what we
    are counting on. What we need to do is convince the hams that there is no
    problem with freebanders on 10 meter amateur frequencies and it is all in
    their imagination heh heh. Most hams dont care what happens on CB and this
    apathy can be used as a tool. Our strategy has proven effective in the past
    as many hams will actually side with us. If we can head off enforcement for
    another sunspot cycle we will be home free"

Twistedhed@webtv.net

timnebo@aol.comLOL

Train@cbmods@optonline.net

2. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Comedian Gallagher proposed a similar situation for traffic enforcement. He proposed that every driver be given a dart gun with magnetic darts attached, and every dart would have a flag on it that said STUPID. If someone cuts you off or does something you otherwise don't agree with, you plant a STUPID flag on them. Then, when a cop sees you have three STUPID flags, he pulls you over and gives you a ticket for being an idiot.

Seriously, we can do things like this already. Write or email the FCC anytime you hear a rules violation. (I think Riley H.'s address is rholling@fcc.gov; if not, it should be easy enough to find.) If you don't get satisfaction, write your congressman and let them know what the situation is, and get them in on the action. In a situation with limited resources the squeaky wheel is more likely to get the grease.

73, Creede

3. WA8BZC

WA8BZC Ham Member QRZ Page

If any licensed hams tried these activities FCC would be all over us. FCC has a real problem with enforcement. Maybe it is time for a change. Why do I have a ham license in my shack and my wallet. Is it just to brag about? I wouldn't mind showing it off when I buy a rig. You'll never see this happen. There's too much money involved to get FCC to care about our bands. Radio Shack, the truck stops and the rest all have the economic leverage that we don't have. As long as government enforces by the buck we don't have a chance. If the FCC cared about us they would be changing the rules and regulations. This would make the enforcement eaiser. They'd rather sell our frequencies to the highest corporate (raider)bidder. If this wasn't true the CB problem would have been cleaned up twenty-five years ago.

4. KC2HZW

KC2HZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure how much of a problem unlicensed operation is on 10 M althought I have heard some pirate operations from time to time. HOWEVER, I recently became aware of the sale of 10 M equipment at truck stops when I stopped in CT at a TravelAmerica stop. They are sold right next to the CB radios and there is no mention of licensing. I think this requires action. Maybe we need to get the ARRL involved with these corporations. I am sure that they will not easily give up the sales they are making on these rigs. Short of the FCC requiring a license before purchasing a radio, I don't see a solution.

5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It always amazes me reading the hate mail Riley gets. I believe it's these very same Riley haters that bash ARRL also. Just wondering.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

As you can see, the 10m pirates are getting downright arrogant about their activities!

7. KF4GLG

KF4GLG Ham Member QRZ Page

It can be difficult for a cb'er to be accepted on the ham bands."When I was a child I spoke as a child". Apparently you are not quite ready to enter the adult world. When you are I'm sure the world of amateur radio will still be there for you. By the way, congratulations on your extra ticket, good buddy.

8. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guy, You stated above that the CB "Freeband" range is 27.405-27.850. Actually the commonly considered range is 26.0-28.0 (excluding CB 1-40) and it is all used. This has largely come about as most "export" radios have this bandwidth as their coverage limits. But it hardly stops there. Most of these rigs cover most or all of the 10M band as well. And it doesn't stop there. A great many of these ops are simply using ham HF rigs and can and do go anywhere but thet generally stay out of the ham bands proper and instead operate above and below our bands. The area between 25.5 and 26.0 sees use and there is much use above and below the 40 and 20 meter bands. Spin that dial of yours and look around sometime. 73 Woody

9. KF4GLG

KF4GLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah Hell Mark, why don't ya just shoot the poor offending bastard and put him out of his misery. Maybe lay him over an ant bed and let the bugs work on him a while. Put him in a hamburger grinder and feed him to the alligators, that's it turn him into alligator farts................you jerk!

10. W8TVI

W8TVI Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as he is "CQ"ing it is not illegal.

So I say CQ right over top of them! and do it at 1.5KW :)

Noel W8TVI

11. WA2CKP

WA2CKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir: Please don't make mention of Mr. Hollingsworth and the ARRL in the same breath.

12. W8TVI

W8TVI Ham Member QRZ Page

That post above by AB2MH is a prime example as to why we should remove code as a requirement to use the HF bands.

People like him will KILL ham radio because of there unwillingness to CHANGE. Ryan, the code requirement WILL be removed. You cannot do anything about it by complaining about it. People like me are getting off our butts and doing something to make to make a difference. Who have you Elmered? What young ham have you helped build an antenna? What are you doing to try to make a difference? In our club there is one ham that is a TRUE Elmer. He helps out on project night. He’ll help answer you questions not caring if you’re a no-code, slow-code or full Extra. He never complains about no-codes and slow-codes. He is a REAL HAM! What are you?

People like you disgust me.

Noel W8TVI

13. K7JLM

K7JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was recently in Los Angeles, specifically Cypress, at a training class for the industry I am in. While there I was talking to one of the other attendees, and he started asking questions after seeing my call sign on my truck and my antenna. He then offerred that he had the same rig in his truck that I have , and that he also ran an amp on top of it. His one comment was "when I want to talk, I talk". At that point I asked what his call was, and he replied " oh , I use any one of a number of them including my dead father's". This guy runs on whatever band he wants to, and hasn't been caught yet. So my question is, what can be done about this? These are the very same guys who got sick of cb's and are now moving on to other bands. And if it isn't checked, the end result will be the same........chaos!!!! If the FCC is listening, please help. We hams can do very little to stop this illegal activity. Thanks, K7JLM

14. W4FWL

W4FWL Ham Member QRZ Page

NO!

There must not be any further encroachment into the licensed bands by unlicensed operators.

There was a time when CB'ers were required to have a license in the U.S. - before the 1980's. But, that was before the song "Convoy" and the Christmas of 1978 CB craze.

Many, many folks bought C.B.s in the mid to late 1970's, but didn't bother to get a license. In response, the FCC threw up their hands in surrender. We cannot allow something like that to happen again.

Strict enforcement of the law is the most viable answer.

I do not believe that you should need a license to buy an amateur radio, but you better darn sure have a license to operate one. (Many unlicensed folks buy radios and equipment as gifts to give to licensed operators - e.g., Christmas gifts).

C.B.'ers (Yes, I have been one) need to stay within the 40 channels allocated to them. Enough accomadations have been made for CB'ers: 1.) getting the 11 meter band from Hams in the first place, 2.) not having the original license requirement enforced, and 3.) having 17 channels added to the original 23 in the mid to late 1970's.

If you want to work 10 meters, get a license!

15. WA2CKP

WA2CKP Ham Member QRZ Page

AB2MH
    As far as a CB TAXI problem in New York City is concerned: TLC rules permit CB radios in the taxi, ONLY FCC aproved CB radios and ONLY on the 40 aproved frequencies...If you have any information on a violation of this rule...contact and send your information to the New York City Taxi commission..
    They WILL inspect and fine ALL violations ,,,...

They have acted in the past and I'm sure the will act in the same way today...

Thank you
    ARS/WA2CKP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.