ad: CQMM-1

Would you be willing to share 10m with CB?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4INU, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4JO

KK4JO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hadn't heard much of what had been talked about until last Friday when I started looking for CW on 10m. I noticed that as I tuned around in the CW portion of the band I kept hearing what sounded like phone transmissions. I didn't think too much about it until this issue came to mind.

I switched over to AM to listen, and sure enough, CBers chatting away on my beloved band for which I worked to gain privileges. What really got me, though, was that I heard station from 28.000 up through 28.300 and above!

I can record, I can log, and I can pass the information along to the FCC. I hope that the truck driver who used to be my neighbor gets smart and gets out of the way. He told me that he gets on 10m daily.

Boy, all of this irks me pretty badly!

2. KC4GS

KC4GS Guest

It appears that many that have responded to this article have little if any knowledge about that which they speak. One writer knocks "truck drivers", well, I am a truck driver, and have been a hom for over 20 years. Yes I started with CB many years ago, got into ham, them added CBN when I started driving truck, as it is a way to keep up with road conditions ahead of me when I drive. I have legal radios for both services in my truck. Sure there are those that have illegal radios, but how many people have illegal guns, or to get to a point that may apply to more of us, have cars that we drive that are in violation of the law.
    Then there was someone that is really behind the times. I have several friends that have the letter "Q" in their call sign, since when was that an indicator of an illegal call??
    Then there are those that refer to 10m CBers. Now they are making up a group that the FCC does not have. Why?
    Then, the worst of the lot, the vigalante. KF4BOT telling us about how groups of CBers, (I guess that is the right mental state for such activity) would resort to violence to make others confirm to what they wanted the band to be like. Is that the type of Ham radio you want in this country. I don't.
    As far as the selkling of the radios go, if you had checked, you would find that the radios that are sold at the truck stops are 10 Meter radios. After someone buys them, if they are going to use them on the CB band, they must be taken to a "CB Shop", where the technician makes the necessarty mods to allow if to operate on the CB bands. I have seen many CB shops around the country that are operated by hams (Or maybe I should say, by a person that holds a ham license) that openly advertise that they are hams and claim to be able to incarease you ower, add noise toys, etc., to your CB, add upper and lower channels (out of band channels) and yet nothing is done about them. WHY. Walk into the CB shop located next to the TA truck stop in Jessep, MD., Lok at the many 1000 watt plus amps sitting in his shop, out in plain view. Listen to the people on CB talk about having 200-1000 watt amps in their vehicles. As long as the government agency in charge does not enforce its rules that are already in effect, there is no use in making more laws, and if there is no deterent to violanting the laws, then people will continue to violate them.

3. KG6AMW

KG6AMW Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC has a full plate. The last thing they want to do is to pay for inspectors to travel around visiting manufacturers and truck stops busting people. If you want them in this business, then each of you send the FCC $500 and when the fund gets large enough, they will add pys (personnel years) and equipment and start the inspections and enforcement. Otherwise, get use to it.

4. AA4IH

AA4IH Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's "You've got questions, we've got answera(although they are incorrect)"

5. NA7US

NA7US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All that we need is for ALL amateurs to monitor ALL bands (even if it is just once a day) and record on cassette (do not send mpeg or wav files)to the FCC. CBers on 10 meters are there because we do nothing. If we continue to allow it, then we are guilty as well.

For those that decide to monitor and record, just remember that it is probable that many terrorists groups are using illegal radios. Someone could end saving peoples lives by merely sending a cassette to the FCC.

If we really want to protect our frequencies and possibly our families, we must start with the pirates on 10 meters. Do something or do nothing, it is your choice but if you choose to do nothing and we lose 10 meters please dont come whining here when 12 and 15 meters is next!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

This guy is dead right stop moaning use the bands talk to folk call dx just stop moan moan moaning.Get a life.

7. N8DEW

N8DEW Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is the consumers on the equipment is not aware of the license requirments for operating what they buy... My Alinco DX-70th has no information on the box or in the manual about needing license to operate it! Here is where the problem lays. THE PRODUCT NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY MARKED LICENSE IS REQUIRED TO OPERATE. If the manufacters marked there products with that I think that would do a lot. Thanks for listening to me.
    Rich KC8HFA

8. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That post above by KE4ENX is a prime example as to why we should keep code as a requirement.

9. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

"You've got questions, we've got batteries!"

10. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So why bother? Money talks.

11. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget that. Fund the inspectors from fines collected. Offer to cut local police in if they'll assist with search, seizure and scene control (warrants required, of course, but it would be fairly easy to obtain probable cause and a warrant). After about 2-3 years of this when the illegal 10 meter problem is under control turn them loose on unlicensed and illegal operation in the other bands.

73, Creede

12. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Western Washington, all the AM/SSB CB guys I hear on 10m are coming from South America (and speaking Spanish) so I don't think there is much we'll be able to do. I only listen to the CW sections of 10m.

Ooooh, won't they be surprised next weekend when 10m is FULL of activity with the 10m contest! Then everyone can bitch about those "bastard lid contesters" with real ham licenses, actually USING the band as it was intended, running the freebanders off.

Think about that, girls.

73, Steve N4SL

13. WA7KPK

But the question is, are they type accepted for 10 meters? If not and they're of new manufacture, isn't it illegal to sell them?

73, Creede

14. wb9hnj

wb9hnj Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally a to the point comment....we need to first or all ACTIVATE as this person states...stop whining because you had to pass a stupid XX speed code test and get on the air and use what you took that test to get!! Stop wasting time QRM'ing the dx nets and such and TALK!! Fill that band up and force the problem out. Works the same as a vaccination people..overload the system with antibodies and the bad germs can't get in!!

15. WA7KPK

Maybe if manufacturers got fined $10,000 for every radio they sold that isn't clearly labeled (just a sample figure I pulled out of my hat), money just might start saying something different from what it does now. You can't legally sell a pack of cigarettes in the US, as far as I know, without a warning label, so people are aware of the risks -- and yes I know they continue to smoke, but you can only take an analogy so far.

73, Creeee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.