ad: elecraft

Would you be willing to share 10m with CB?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4INU, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W8JN

W8JN Ham Member QRZ Page

I always enjoy opening the morning paper to read articles such as "NIH DISCOVERS LINK BETWEEN OBESITY AND EXCESSIVE EATING" "CALIFORNIANS WHO BUILD THEIR HOUSES ON HILLSIDES MORE LIKELY TO BE VICTIMS OF LANDSLIDES" "WORSENING ECONOMY HITS THE POOR ESPECIALLY HARD".... Here in Cincinnati we refer to that as "the DUHHHH news"
    Al did extensive research concluding that unscrupulious businesses sell 10 meter radios to cb'ers... wellll duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Right here on QRZ, cb'ers buying and selling "them big afterburners" is a daily occurrence. I think Al did a disservice to the companies he mentioned, because they are of the many.... not the few . If you dont like the food , you dont attack the waitress, you go to the boss!!!.. In this case da boss is the "candy company" They allow equipment to be sold to unlicensed users. We need to take it to them, and leave the business owners alone who are obeying the law . w8jn

2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, unfortunately it's completely legal to sell radios to unlicensed persons. With cigarettes, however, there are laws prohibiting sales to minors.

3. KE6DDA

KE6DDA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are various abuses throughout the HAM frequencies including the one at caption. Unfortunately, there are many folks who will not get licensed, register nor conform to any regulations if they feel they can avoid them without consequence.

Any thought, that illegal users would be restrained by laws or regulations which are not enforced, is in my opininon a waste of time.

At the moment, I believe that the only real hope of controlling the frequencies is with the cooperative effort of the HAM community working with ARRL and the FCC to properly prosecute offenders. If this is not possible I think the abuses will continue and expand.

73's

KE6DDA

4. K9PN

K9PN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that this invasion is most certainly somelthing for which we should be concerned. I do not know what we can do about it however. I am equally concerned about the behavior of my fellow hams on 40 meters. If you have worked 40 in the early evening during the past month you no doubt heard what sounded like channel 19 on the 11 meter band years ago...If we cannot clean up our own...I fail to see how we can defend against others we see as less than desirable.

Jim..K9PN

5. Guest

Guest Guest

You can agree all you want but you are ignoring the obvious!

What does it mean when the "Chief Enforcer" suggests you jam illegal intruders?

He knows the problem exists, is continuing to ignore it & promoting you to break the rules. Regardless of how much you jam, the problem is still there when you are done. Agreeing that "they" do not exist means you are in denial along with the "Chief Enforcer" who hopes you will continue to turn a blind eye toward his total ineptness!

6. KG6AMW

KG6AMW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if you realize how time it takes to pursue just one case. Where do you suggest they get funds from to acomplish this. The Congress won't budget funds for this low priority item. Sorry, they got bigger fish to fry.

7. N7QH

N7QH Guest

Agreed! We as hams need to stand up for what we have now or loose it. Self policeing is going to be the only way to get any where. When you are driving down the highway, and you hear interfearance comming from the 18 wheeler next to you, and tune to find out that he is operating on any portion of 10 meters, listen to hear if he is legal. If not get the licence plate. All it takes is a complaint to the FCC. They won't probably cite the operator, but an official letter might scare the pants off him. The other way is to not talk to them. There aren't enough "CBers" that can afford 10 mtr equipment. They will be sitting there with a radio that is no good to them. Let's all hope that they run out and buy really expensive Galaxy radios, they won't even last a month anyways. HI HI

8. N4NDR

N4NDR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy fix. Fine the trucking companies for having illegal equipment in their vehicles. Maybe $5000 an incident with no maximum on number of fines. The truck drivers/illegal operators will get the point when their bosses are taking the fine money out of their paychecks. Random checks on any interstate will produce much needed inforcement money for the FCC. If the drivers want to operate on 10/12 then they would get a licence and show it to their bosses or loose quite alot of paycheck monies. Now the Brazillian interlopers are another problem. Maybe the vaunted ARRL could take their countries off the DXCC list until the problem is solved.

9. N7QH

N7QH Guest

OOPS! Looks like I wouldn't wanna be you. Stick a fork in him, he's all done. Seems to me that you might wanna go back to the "childrens band". See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

10. N7QH

N7QH Guest

You wouldn't want to give out your name and address would you? GUESS WHAT? YOU JUST DID! BY SENDING THIS COMMENT YOU HAVE GIVEN US ENOUGH INFO TO GET YOU OFF THE AIR. WITH YOUR OWN ADMISSION. As for your statement about not hearing anything on the 10 and 15 mtr bands, you just told the whole world about the extremely poor station you have. I hear stations and work them around the world daily. You might wanna pack up your pathetic station and put it into storage for a couple of years. You might just get a visit from some folks I know at the FCC.

11. KF4GLG

KF4GLG Ham Member QRZ Page

yep!!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

That post above by KE4ENX is a prime example as to why they invented abortions...

13. KB9ZWS

KB9ZWS Ham Member QRZ Page

1. If you put a label on a 10M radio saying "Morse code required to operate product," that wouldn't be a lie, technically, would it?

2. How many of you had a radio before your ticket arrived in the mail? I know I did.

KB9ZWS

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Wb9hnj-- That Code test you talk about isn't even a XX speed code test. It is only an X speed code test! *snivel*, *snorkle*, *bu-r-r-p*!

15. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not talking about the legality of selling to unlicensed users -- yet. I'm just saying, put a label conspicuously on the radio warning of penalties for unlicensed use.

Of course as others pointed out this will only work as long as there are teeth in the enforcement mechanism. Otherwise it'll be like the scene in the movie (I forget which movie) where the video pirates, after having boarded the ship and seized the cargo, are watching the FBI warning label at the beginning of a tape and going, "ooooooh, scare me some more!"

73, Creede

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.