ad: CQMM-1

What It's Going to take...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KY5U, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Charlie, AG4YO
    After starting this topic (thread) I`m wondering what You are going to do to Help make the Nprm Work??

After all the Hot debate in the Nprm thread and all the different views given and some mighty insults thrown around, What in Your view is now going to bring Both sides of the Argument together to be able to Enjoy the Hobby using HF??

I`m thinking that was your Motive for starting this Thread and getting some Positive input from All concerned? If that is the case then I wish you well.

Even though there is not a test for morse code in the U.K, As you know I took it upon myself to learn it anyway to give me another mode of Choice to use (and I do) I Sincerely Hope that if the Nprm is sanctioned then Amateurs will learn to deal with this in a positive way and encourage All to learn how to be a Good Operator on Hf no matter what mode you use!

I thankyou All for allowing me to join the debate and I hope that I have given Something Positive to it?
    And now I look forward to a Qso with you All on HF in what ever mode you are using.
    73s de Samantha 2e1dau

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

This was supposed to be a thread about bridging the gap, and welcoming the newcomers. But like all threads on QRZ it has degenerated into an us-vs.-them rant.

3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple answer. I actually posted this to try to see if there could be meaningful discussion. There was not.

Any questions?

4. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

The hurricane disaster should give each and everyone on here pause to review their emergency preparedness.

Dependence upon operating modes with high power requirements will be a definite hindrance in the days, weeks, and months to come in the flooded areas of LA and MS.

Everyone who says "it won't happen here" and "someone will come to help" may very well be consigning themselves to uselessness in the face of such a disaster.

While FEMA and most emergency response teams seem to have their communications in order, communications for the common person may very well be a long time coming.

Even the portable cell towers and repeaters so many people say will do away with the need for amateur radio are going to have a hard time getting into the flooded areas for days or even weeks. Providing portable generators and keeping the generators fueled will be an even bigger challenge once the towers are established.

QRP rigs, both CW and SSB, with 7amp-hr batteries and solar cell rechargers are going to be worth a lot in this area for many, many days.

The truly scary thing is that the busiest part of the hurricane season is just beginning.

Pray for the survivors and offer what help you can to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross.

tim ab0wr

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Charlie, AG4YO

I have No further Questions as You have just Answered my Original one!

But I will say that your Original post and Opinion that started this Thread is a Far Cry from Some of the posts that you then made to Contribute towards the Topic!
    But interestingly your response was not what i thought it would be from Someone who must of thought so Passionately about the Healing process to start the Thread.

My Heart goes out to All those Affected by the Hurricane Disaster
    73s de Samantha 2e1dau

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point, Tim. There is nothing in New Orleans but the Police/Fire/EMS radios. No cell, no internet, no power, no water (potable). Presently the TV stations are off the air. Some radio stations are on. Martial law has been declared in New Orleans and Jefferson Parish. Looters are running the streets (and being arrested). Unlesss you have a battery, generator or inverter, your computer based programs are useless.

People are using Amateur Radio there. One or two repeaters are up, there is a little SSB traffic and some CW too. I didn't have much time to listen as I was on the ground for only a few minutes today (by chopper which landed on Airline Hwy. so I could survey a building). They dropped me off and went on to pick up someone from the State Police locaion and then back to pick me up.

I'ts bad here...

7. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the hurricane net on 3935 the only access into the Biloxi and Baton Rouge areas is via stations running battery operated, low power CW stations. All traffic is being passed to those stations by the traffic manager for STX. (this is as of Tues evening)

As I posted in another thread, I am going to post this on the FCC site.

If the FCC wants to ruin the emergency capability of the ARS then all they have to do is drive the Morse Code capability of the ARS into the ground.

They need to have their noses rubbed in this - and rubbed very hard.

I can't believe this has happened so shortly after hearing so many people denigrate Morse Code as an obsolete, outdated, useless communication mode.

I wonder how many of these people, who obviously can't learn from distant history, will be able to learn from recent history?

I HOPE the ARRL will take this opportunity to SHOUT the use of Morse Code by amateur radio in widespread disasters such as this. *But* I am not going to hold my breath.

If you are in the emergency area, STAY SAFE.

YOU SIMPLY CANNOT BE CAREFUL ENOUGH. Even small injuries can become major problems when medical attention is limited.

Our prayers are with you.

tim ab0wr

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the area I walked in earlier is under 5 feet of water now. The sandbagging of lake levees failed and pumps are failing. They expect 10-15 feet of standing water in New Orleans.

The next step is for the water to undermine the levees on the river side (water was not meant to be on that side of the levee). If a river levee breaks, the entire Mississippi can change course right thru downtown New Orleans. (The only hope might be to open the flood gates above New Orleans to lower the river, then open the spillway north of town to lower Lake Pontchatrain. May have to dam the lake to prevent backflow from the gulf. Once water lowers, build a steel chain wall along the lake levee on the south side.)

Watch this people. You are seeing geological history. God bless and save the people of New Orleans.

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!

10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Same bat... um, guano?

Did a whole 24 hours just pass and no one added another rant on either side?

11. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well! I'll be a CBDOF!
    Clueless and Brain Dead Old Fart.

Glad KH2D is a ham, but I wonder why, reading his comments in the link. I enjoy filling old shoeboxes with cards. Doesn't everybody?

12. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just want to get on 40 and 75 meter AM with a rig I built myself and maybe work a little CW when I learn to do so. My old key WANTS ELECTRONS BAD. But I am with the newbies on this one. lids and CB'ers are EASY to deal with. CW is a fascinating concept but it is a communications mode, not a filter. my station has sound recording and processing equipment. WARNING TO LIDS, I RECORD VIOLATIONS. That is the best filter I can think of. Let's beef up the OO corps. Then we can get back to rag chewing, and experimenting and contesting and DXing and brass pounding. Ham Radio POUR TOUJOURS!!!

13. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nearly 24,000 reads. Impressive!

14. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

The OO system is a joke. Go tune around HF and listen to some of the extremely profane stations. They are there day after day and the OO's don't do anything, reason because most are only interested in keeping the band clear where they frequent.

People keep screaming beef up the OO program that’s not going to be effective. If you really want to clean up ham radio then document the violators. Don’t just make a one recording, recorded them over several days or weeks to demonstrate a pattern of behavior and violations.

And don’t be a whiner, IE making a complaint over someone who let one dam or piss slip out over the radio. If you make a good documented case action will be taken but don’t count on the OO’s for anything.

Eric Kc5Fog

15. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

He missed old commie bed-wetters. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.