ad: Schulman-1

What It's Going to take...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KY5U, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

What It's Going to Take
    (to make the NPRM work)

This is good. We've all been venting our various impressions/emotions concerning the FCC NPRM, preparing our comments, or making comments on the FCC Website. But what next? For all intents and purposes, the Fat Lady is clearing her throat on the removal of telegraphy testing. Like it or not, it will come to pass in some form. Amateur Radio is indeed changing in a big way.

The traditional Amateur Radio of recent years past was a right of passage. New amateurs came into the hobby and learned the ropes with the help of their Elmers. It was a slow deliberate process. A premium was put on what you knew and what you could do. Part and parcel of that tradition was the Morse Code requirement. Although computers were welcomed for their ability to run logging software and microprocessors in our rigs, there was a clear line between Amateur Radio and the computer world.

Today, Amateur Radio is evolving into areas where function rules over form. An example of this is Echolink, where people can talk over the computer and/or an RF link through an internet connection to a person on the other side of the country or the world. To older Amateurs, this is poor "form". To new Amateurs, this is good "function" and the form is irrelevent. Likewise in a world of instant gratification (a.g. computer games etc.), the "work your way up through the ranks" method is seen as an arcane hazing ritual.

This fundamental difference has resulted in a huge split in the Amateur Radio ranks. In most cases the telegraphy testing issue has been the lightning rod for alot of pent-up frustration on both sides. Many older amateurs see this as the ultimate act in the dumbing down of the hobby, while many no code amateurs have found telegraphy to be the insurmountable barrier leading to failure and frustration.

The fundamental question is, what is it going to take to begin the healing process if there can ever be a healing process? Anti-telegraphy testing proponents are already finding out that simply removing the test will not get them the respect they desire as amateurs. What can we all do?

The first step is to remember that internet reflectors like QRZ.COM may be ABOUT Amateur Radio, but are really not Amateur Radio. So for amateurs, we must start the process by totally disregarding what is said here when it comes time to get on the air. Everybody deserves a chance and the benefit of the doubt. Given this chance to succeed, no code General and Extra Class operators must realize that the ham ticket is not the end of a journey, but the beginning. It is a ticket to the big game.

The next "rule" should be to leave discussions about telegraphy testing on the internet reflectors, and confine ourselves to the regular amateur topics. No religion, no politics, and now add "no telegraphy arguments" to the golden rules of conversation. After all, how you operate your station speaks volumes about you as a person. This won't be about whether you know telegraphy, it will be about what you show of yourself on the air in knowledge and cooperation. Do you have a willingness to take advice and learn?

If you're one of the many Amateurs having a real problem with the proposed FCC ruling, it may be time to examine your motivation and options. You may desire to retreat to the simple life of CW where Amateur Radio living is measured and easy. Maybe it is time for a sabatical. Perhaps the company of close friends on the air will help, as long as you're willing to give all comers the benefit of the doubt. Surely this peroid in our history will show what we're all made of.

There is much "high ground" left for both sides. Pro coders can show they are professional on the air and help the newcomers grow to be great hams. No coders can help pro coders protect CW as a mode from infringement by voice and data. Both sides can realistically evaluate future petitions from the common ground of being radio amateurs sharing a common resource. Both sides can continue to insist that the ARRL be more representative of its membership.

While the debate may rage on here on the Internet for years to come, we will be judged on what we say and do on the air. Are we as good as we say we are?

2. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

No FCC commissioner has any communications experience at all. Their long -suites are kissing up to politicians so that they can gain a high-pay, low work job with great benefits. Consequently, you cannot expect the FCC to realize the fundamentally important nature of CW, or appreciate the reasons to keep it.

All of us that can handle CW are hard pressed to understand why beginners resent having to learn it. But CW is going away and we will soon be conversing with very ignorrant "Hams" (thanks also to the dumbing down of the tests). I am rather sorry the hobby is not simply cancelled; it is about to enter an altzheimer's phase. And death will not come in a stylish and pretty way. I'd rather simply surrender the frequencies now and Know that we once had a rather noble and interesting hobby.

I'm off to buy a cell phone; if you can't lick 'em.........."

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Charlie, this is not news. Your post and this string belong in the "Thoughts and Opinions" forum !

4. AG4HY

AG4HY Ham Member QRZ Page

ag4yo
    how about "less" B.S. and articles on some phase of hamming. not the B.S.about (quote: "lazy bastards", "i don't talk to g,d extra lites such s**t don't belong on the bands", such nice things? like that..
    things that are revelant to operating, antennas,etc. OPERATING subjucts in everyday language, not the high minded stuff that "usually prevales"
    i know it is asking a lot, but, and that is a BIG but, this site could rival the "very best" of the amateur sites, sort of like "the qrz elmer web page.
    iknow, i know, i am stupid, but that is "my" thoughts

5. K3GI

K3GI Ham Member QRZ Page

AG4YO, well said!

6. K9ROD

K9ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good artical and a very smart approch to the subject. I'm looking forward to taking my General Test and maybe others, without having to do the CW thing. CW is like a language and some of us have a hard emough time with english. I am one of those people. I have had a wonderful 4 years as a technician ... learned alot. I am now in my humble opinion a respected 6 meter operator. I'm looking forward to exploring the HF bands. If you think that forcing me to learn CW and being poor at it will make me a better phone operator on HF, Then I think you are sadly mistaken. The radio and electronic theory that I have been learning is what will continue to make me a better operator. And if you think to hobby has gone to %^$# in a hen basket, then it is time for you to get out of MY hobby. The increase in technology has greatly improved the deversity and fun of this hobby. If you don't agree, then maybe you should buy losts of 37 cent stamps, because you shouldn't be on this reflector, you should be writing your letters by hand. Have a great day and I look forward to talking to you on HF. Rod K9ROD

7. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think all this bru-ha-ha (sp?) began in the 1970s. First there was a time when it was necessary to know morse code since long distance communications was much more difficult to do with voice. Even aircraft pilots had to learn morse code.

Then as radio technology improved, the reason for morse code became a more of a rite of passage (quality filter, only those who are dedicated enough will put in the time to learn it, you gotta know CW in order to join the few, the proud,....). Then when computers became available to the local techies, ham radio began to lose it's leading edge. Most of your nerds are IT and computer oriented, not many in ham radio.

Now there is nothing wrong with ham radio, I think it is suffering image problems among hams and non-hams alike (a topic for another discussion).

Some say CW is dead but the Part 90 LMR guys really like CW and use it all the time for repeater ID.

Mike

8. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Charlie,

What you are asking for is what QST editorially pleaded for during the time when the first no code Techs were trying to get on local repeaters and were, in many cases, demonized by other hams for it, and is still happening to a limited extent today. I think you are trying to somehow ask for a modification in human nature.

Unfortunately there will be hazing and in some ways the new no code hams will be relagated by some to a sort of second class status. While there will many hams who will show consideration and help the newcomers to HF, there will be a fair amount who will fight them at ever turn. It is easy to look up when someone will have obtained a license upgrade and if the date falls into the time after the FCC has dropped the code requirement, it will add more fuel to the fire.

IMHO it is up to the newcomers to HF to prove that they know what they are doing within the established ham traditions, be willing to take constructive suggestions and ask for elmering help when they need it. This is certainly a 2 way street with the burden falling on all parties.

George
    K3UD

9. KC0NJA

KC0NJA Ham Member QRZ Page

WD5PSH not in data base...  He must of purchased his cell phones..

****EDITORS NOTE***
    READ THE CALL SIGN MORE CAREFULLY. "K" not "W"

KD5PSH       Lookups: 757
    Robert C Reynolds
    440 CAMINO HERMOSA
    CORRALES NM 87048

Callsign Results [ULS DATABASE]
    Callsign File Number Applicant Type Service
    KD5PSH 0000585657 I HA
    Licensee Name Address PO Box City
    Reynolds, Robert C 440 CAMINO HERMOSA  CORRALES
    State Zip Grant Date Expire Date
    NM 87048 Sep 06, 2001 Sep 06, 2011
    NEPA Flag Trustee License ID Previous Callsign Operator Class
      E

10. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Replace the W with a K.

11. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

I believe you meant KD5PSH. [​IMG]

12. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

Second that! [​IMG]

13. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

What It's Going to take...
    Or better
    What is it going to take?

Morse Code being dropped is not going to kill amateur radio. Neither will it if it is stays.

Echolink is not going to kill amateur radio.

Winlink & Pactor are not going to kill amateur radio.

A new bandwidth proposal is not going to kill amateur radio.

BPL is not going to kill amateur radio.

Do you really know what is going to kill amateur radio? (And unfortunately, is already doing it?)

Arguing.

Folks, amateur radio operators that love to place posts with rants and demeaning comments about other amateurs,government agencies and any anyone else ARE killing amateur radio.

Think about it...if you were a person, young or old, interested in amateur radio, and came to QRZ.com or any other post site and began to read some of the posts, what would you think about amateur radio? (No reflection on Fred, he's not the one posting!)

Better yet, say you are a leader of an agency seeking to use amateur radio as a part of you emergency communications plans, and you logged into a website and began to read some of the posts?

Guys, terrorists don't even let fly as much garbage on the internet as amateurs do...

Something to think about. You don't have to agree with it but it is there and happening.

What is it going to take?

Playing nice with each other helps. And offering a helping hand to a new comer, instead of chopping their head off because they "don't live up to your expectations". And a new comer valuing what he can learn from an "old timer". Remember, both were made alike, but different. What interests you may not interest him. But, we can get along, if we try.

14. W8VOM

W8VOM Ham Member QRZ Page

While I am a strong proponent of retaining the Morse requirement I do not believe it makes one a better operator as far as character. Morse is a skill like many other skills. I love the tradition of using Morse and it once was the cement that bound all HF amateurs within the fraternity.I mourn the passing of the Morse (requirement) and admit that it never was the filter that so many people thought it was. For me this is not a welcome change but I can accept it. A good amateur is one who can adapt to changing technology without clinging  to tradition alone.I once was a hard core CW Op,even when I had Phone privs I continued to use CW 95% of the time. Today I run mostly PSK...it is time now to MOVE ON PEOPLE!

15. KI6ADA

KI6ADA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I am a newbie, and yes as we post our messages here on the internet, we are taking good energy away from our favorite hobby. If we love our hobby so much, why are we using wireless routers and bluetooth technology? Why are we paying a premium monthly service fee to cell phone providers, that monitor our minutes and and charge us extra because we went over our minutes? You know the telegraph was alot more efficient before regular telephone service connected America. By the way telegraph operators used to get paid by the number of words transmitted.
    The right of passage will still require better written tests and re-structered study guides, especially for General and Extra class operators. The days of memorizing questions will go away. How many of us were able to memorize every question on the SAT or ACT?
    CW will not go away unless the hobby allows it to fade in the sunset. Personally I would rather send CW to a person who doesn't understand my language, than feeling left out, because I can not learn the more than 70 common languages throughout the world.
    The changes will occur and people will react. This is a hobby that has no price tag except common knowledge of Radio communications and  basic electronic theory.
    I have been interested in radio communications since I was a kid. Yes I grew up in the 70's during the CB craze, but I also built my first Heathkit when I was 14 years old. While I was in the Military I was able to learn more about Radio communications and electronic theory. I look back now and wish I had pursued my Amateur radio license and joined the base Ham Radio club. This forum should bring out the better interest of the people on this web site. 73.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.