ad: elecraft

The Solar Eclipse Is One Month Away!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX2R, Mar 8, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have yet to see anyone (see) say:"WOW! That annular eclipse was something!"

Unless you are taking pictures, the only 'fire' is that which burns out your eyeballs..

2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

our police dept hopes that weekend through that Monday is cloudy and rainy. They said if the weather is like that, then people count will be much lower.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

you don't get out much. I guess that's actually good. Albuquerque was mobbed. all the hotels and restaurants were full. Hundreds of people had a great time watching it at the science museum. everyone said "wow!".

4. KA1BSZ

Look up UNDERGROUND WEATHER, and by March 25th, you should be able to see in advance what the possible weather should like during the eclipse. 7 days before, should be a 50/50 chance, 4 days 75% chance and 1 1/2 days a 90% chance.

5. KA1BSZ

latest weather forecast for that Sunday and Monday is for cloudy conditions, Rain For that Friday and showers for Sunday and Mostly cloudy to cloudy Monday.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The only total eclipse to hit my area (Seattle) in my 62 years was February 27th, 1979. I was a senior in High School. There will never be another total in my lifetime here.

It was a gray cloudy day - but we all traipsed outside from my English class - it was still amazing to be there.... the whole "it became like night" did still happen, and it was still pretty awesome.

Even in overcast, it's still a special event and not one most people will ever witness first-hand

Dave
    W7UUU

7. W6MCN

W6MCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Was in Casper wy for the 2017 eclipse. Got great shots of totality and the Corona. It wasn't too bad with crowds where we camped and set up the telescope but the drive out was a mess. Had a lot of radio time on the road though. Looking forward to this years show.

8. W6MCN

W6MCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Good shot of the diamond ring and Baily beads

WB9YPA and K2GSP like this.
  9. W1LIM

W1LIM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Traveled to Tennessee for the full eclipse in 2017, still have the special glasses and spares for this one :)

10. KA1BSZ

Update on the eclipse traffic. Outside police departments will be employed in Vermont and NH. Hopefully with all the planning will pay off before, during and after the event will go smoothly. The police presence on the interstates, state roads, all major routes should be very noticeable as I was informed at our town of Fairlee, VT select broad meeting last night.

11. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We're lookin at driving down I-49 and hanging a left at I-40.
    [​IMG]
    Epicenter would be just east of Russellville, normally less than an hour's drive. Gov'ts declared emergency.
    [​IMG]
    But so long as we make it this far, we're good.
    For the time being, anyhow. :cool: :eek:

Jim

EARTH: LOVE IT
    OR LEAVE IT [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  12. WB9YPA

WB9YPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I love burned to a crisp Eckrich hot dogs. It's the only way I will eat them.

N6SPP likes this.
  13. VK2NNW

VK2NNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year I travelled to Tennant Creek in the NT to see a partial eclipse ( April 20, 2023). The sun was 55% covered at maximum. The daylight had a weird quality to it. I'm looking forward to July 22, 2028.

Wishing you all clear skies on eclipse day.

WB9YPA likes this.
  14. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was in the path the last time around. It was weird, but in a cool way.

Incidentally, I spent the first nine years of my life up the road from you in Lewiston, right next to the fire hall.

15. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

My in-laws are in the path of totality... just a couple miles from dead center.
    I'll be taking my telescope and some equipment for photos. However I'm focusing on the experience, not photography or radios, etc. This is my first eclipse in totality.

Should weather not cooperate, I've warned the kids to be ready for an impromptu road trip...

I was going to be a nerd-rebel and pull my kids out of school... but enough parents here (a couple hours from path of totality) were pulling their kids out they decided to close the schools.

The attached photo I took through my telescope in '17 at the maximum at our location. Rather than take the kids out for the '17 eclipse, I took my equipment to their school so their classes could experience it.

-rvb

Attached Files:

WB9YPA and N1VAU like this.