ad: HamHats-1

The Solar Eclipse Is One Month Away!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX2R, Mar 8, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Great spot Clyde! You will see a LOT there! :)

I've only been in totality once: late 1970s - 77? 78? in Tacoma, WA when we left the school house to go watch (cloudy day so no glasses needed)

Then in 2017 I was NEAR a totality (Easton, WA at the time, on a road trip, and watched it get "dark and cool" but no totality)

Dave
    W7UUU

N4FZ and KA1BSZ like this.
  2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

the last thing I wanted to be is on the radio. I've waited my whole life for this event, for this. I saw what was partial eclipse in 1964,1986,1996,2017 and I sure as hell don't want to miss this one.

AK5B, KV5E, N3GY and 3 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

LIVE IT Clyde.... it's a truly unique event in the life of an individual to experience one..... I've only ever experienced ONE, when I was a teen, and now at 62 unless I choose to travel really far one day, I will never experience another in my lifetime.

LIVE IT. :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W, N3GY, KA1BSZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep on telling people...this is a huge disaster logistically (as you well know)...here is my prior post on the other thread...

The ENTIRE United States is capable of being your experiment folks: the penumbra and umbra connote temporary 'nightime' propagation conditions as the UV and xray emissions from the sun gets attenuated. How FAST the ionosphere responds is one of the many interesting issues addressed by eclipse work, that you can't answer by gray line, for example. Eclipses are fun AND useful.

For those hoping to SEE the total eclipse, here are a few simple cautions , based on 61 years of eclipse watching---

1) Logistics: PREPARE for WOODSTOCK. By that I mean, expect traffic that normally is associated with huge rock festivals. Get to your location EARLY. Bring SUPPLIES. Don't expect that cloudiness at your location will mean it will be easy to jump in the car and go somewhere else. You will end up in a shut down road--shut down by traffic;

2) The partial eclipse is boring. The shadows are interesting, but without totality the sky will still be bright. IOW a partial eclipse at 95% ain't just 5% away from perfect;

3) Obviously you NEVER look at the sun. Use a neutral density filter or a low power telescope with a filter at the objective. There are many,many good sites on the internet that tell you how to take pictures. But give up on your smart phone--not a good choice for pictures;

4) As totality kicks in, quickly look (just before)at the horizon and watch the shadow travel..FAST. With totality,the sun's corona will be intense and inspiring. Watch for rippling 'shadow bands'(see the internet for references). Looks for stars!

Note that the corona does not affect the ionospheric propagation--its the disc of the sun;-)

Have fun:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    W9JEF, N2EY, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

N3GY and KA1BSZ like this.
  6. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh oh, Chip, do you know something we don't know?!

I do remember that movie, very well!

KA1BSZ likes this.
  7. KA2AUB

KA2AUB Ham Member QRZ Page

In NNY, the St. Lawrence Country RACES/ARES are being asked to do communications along NYS Route 3.

8. N3GY

N3GY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just sharing from what i read ;

The total solar eclipse will take place on Monday, April 8, 2024, and Erie is the only major city in Pennsylvania that’s going to be in the path of totality.

That’s according to Christine Temple, the director of communications for Visit Erie, Temple said that this is a once-in-a-lifetime event and won’t happen in Erie again until 2144.

Erie businesses see huge potential with total solar eclipse next spring
    Erie will be in the path for approximately 4 minutes and was ranked one of the seven best places to watch it on Money Talks News.

Visit Erie is expecting to see 65,000 to 250,000 people come to the area.

Will you see the solar eclipse? NASA map shows ‘path of totality’ across US in 2024
    “All the bed and breakfasts are sold out. Most, if not all the campgrounds are already sold out. Most of the hotels, if they’re not sold out, they’re almost full. If people are thinking of making plans to come and stay overnight, they should really do it now rather than wait,” said Temple.

On April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse will occur in the United States, Mexico and Canada that will be even bigger than the record-breaking eclipse in 2017. Astronomers are already predicting that this “Great North American Eclipse” will be the most-watched event in modern history, with an estimated half a billion people set to participate. It is our mission to make sure everyone is prepared to Look Up!

The National Es-ports Association is thrilled to collaborate with organizations, educators, communities, and individuals across the nation to make the “Great North American Eclipse” an unforgettable and safe event for everyone. Together, let’s inspire curiosity, awe, and a deeper understanding of our universe!

I Just stay home and Seat on my front Yard and Enjoy ;;

Good luck to everyone out there and Remember First of all -Stay Safe

Hilton N3GY
    Western Lake Erie,PA / PRESQUE ISLE PARK .
    RR73.

KA1BSZ likes this.
  9. KA1BSZ

I remember the " PHISH CONCERT " up in Orleans,VT where the concert goes were parked everywhere and the day after I was working at the REST STOP in White river on I-91 south bound rest area and what a mess they left, even more of a mess at the concert site. So the eclipse watchers could bring in thousands of tons of trash.

10. KA1BSZ

I'm going to do the same thing.

N3GY likes this.
  11. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, that’s not good. Take out what you bring in.

12. KA1BSZ

Just to give everyone some information on the upcoming eclipse. Here at the LAKE MOREY RESORT, the figures for the partial eclipse is 99.23% obscured and magnitude of 0.9888. On I-91 interstate at mile marker 123.6 it is where the 100% totality starts with a magnitude of 1.0003 and continues north.

13. KA1BSZ

ya...like THAT'S really going to happen????? I'm pulling in all my trash cans away and hired plenty of people to patrol the area!

AK5B likes this.
  14. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife, 2 daughters and I are jumping on a plane out of Colorado Springs the morning of April 8 at 5am to Dallas to watch. We were all together in Nebraska in 2017, and pinky swore that we'd be at this one.

In 2017, we were on a country road on a slight rise. You could see the "totality" coming at you from the west - it's was unreal.

20170821_113345.jpg

20170821_115237.jpg

20170821_095954.jpg

AK5B, W1YW and KA1BSZ like this.
  15. KA1BSZ

Another thing about this event, it is also a chance of a lifetime to makes good money! With the money and people comes trash. When the Vermont Rock Band PHSH CONCERT was held back in 1995? The concert-goers left the cars everywhere, parked on the interstate, in the medians, along any highway, in pastures and there were tons and tons and tons of trash. This spring in Vermont and it is MUD SEASON where the frost is coming out of the ground which makes the soil wet, very wet. The mud gets on some roads as high as 4 feet deep.... You think I'm kidding? Come up here right now and go off the pavement with your 2x2 pick up, your Chevy impala, and you'll be buried till July. The roads are pretty much impassable unless you have a big FORD F-150,250,350,450 PLUS or any truck that has a lift kit installed! The tow truck people are going to have a field day the day after! So come prepared to stay here for a very long time with your car and if you do have a big 4x4 wheel pickup truck, you should all set unless you don't know how to drive in 6 feet of snow or 4 feet of mud, then hire someone has a pickup. Better yet, just stay on the pavement.